Two-thirds of millennials have nothing saved for retirement

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Getting married would be a really smart financial move for me, potentially doubling income and not doubling expenses. Prolly the easiest financial move I could make in the next 2 years.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Serious question, why do you want your house to gain in value? Do you plan to move when you retire? I have my house listed at what we paid to build it. No updates or improvements. My house is about assessed for this and I wish it was assessed for 10k so I wouldn't have to pay so much in stinking property taxes. I will most likely move when my last kid graduates, figure I will take what I get to get out of this high tax town.

Absolutely I plan to move when I retire. If not to a warmer state like Florida or Arizona, at least to a smaller house likely out of the city. I don't anticipate needing or wanting a 3 bed/3 bath 2 story + basement house right by good schools at that point.

Our house is currently accessed at about 80% of what it would sell for, and I'm perfectly fine with that!

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
How is this any different than the plan I presented a few pages ago? The only difference is one of my million would not be in retirement accounts.

I thought your plan was in addition to retirement savings? So I thought yours would be an additional million on top of those 2 - not a part of those 2. That's a lot more reasonable if that's what you were meaning.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Getting married would be a really smart financial move for me, potentially doubling income and not doubling expenses. Prolly the easiest financial move I could make in the next 2 years.

the other dudes joke but between getting married young and having minimal college debt, this really helped DH and I. Sure, groceries and utilities went up, but not double. And not paying two separate rents for that time frame was something that allowed me to start dumping money at my loans after he moved in and got a job.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
the other dudes joke but between getting married young and having minimal college debt, this really helped DH and I. Sure, groceries and utilities went up, but not double. And not paying two separate rents for that time frame was something that allowed me to start dumping money at my loans after he moved in and got a job.

In all honesty, for most men I know marriage more than doubled their expenses. That is before kids came along. I know I could live on probably a third of what we spend without factoring kids. I know I would have a much simpler house, would eat out less (truthfully), furnishings in the house would be lower budget. Decorations, vehicles (I make sure the wife has nicer more dependable vehicles). Even things like I never used AC when single to now being 75 during summer. I buy generics, my wife goes name brand. I don’t need to paint the house every 3-4 years.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It IS a good financial move until your wife wants a baby. And then the prudent thing to do is join a country club and crash on their locker room couch every night.

In all honesty, for most men I know marriage more than doubled their expenses. That is before kids came along. I know I could live on probably a third of what we spend without factoring kids. I know I would have a much simpler house, would eat out less (truthfully), furnishings in the house would be lower budget. Decorations, vehicles (I make sure the wife has nicer more dependable vehicles). Even things like I never used AC when single to now being 75 during summer. I buy generics, my wife goes name brand. I don’t need to paint the house every 3-4 years.

Obviously who you pick as a spouse and your combined views on how to handle finances impacts this.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
the other dudes joke but between getting married young and having minimal college debt, this really helped DH and I. Sure, groceries and utilities went up, but not double.

I know I made joke about that, but honestly my girlfriend at the time, now wife, was probably my saving grace after college since we moved in together and she was the only one who had a full time job.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
A friendly PSA to remind or show people that marriage is becoming a "luxury good" -- something mostly enjoyed by the educated and wealthy in our society...

0210_marriage.jpg

It used to be a relatively cosmopolitan institution, but now it is one mostly (not entirely, you can read the graphic) just another benefit of a college education.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
A friendly PSA to remind or show people that marriage is becoming a "luxury good" -- something mostly enjoyed by the educated and wealthy in our society...

0210_marriage.jpg

It used to be a relatively cosmopolitan institution, but now it is one mostly (not entirely, you can read the graphic) just another benefit of a college education.

It’s no so much a “luxury good” as much as it is culturally normative for college graduates.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It’s no so much a “luxury good” as much as it is culturally normative for college graduates.

I was using luxury good in the very technical sense -- something that is more likely to be consumed the more income or wealth that you have.

Marriage, if you see matrimony as a "consumption" item or decision (such as you would see any other action) definitely falls into that category.

Economic and social norms are often impossible to unwind from each other. We are saying the same things but coming at them with different terminology.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Hard to save when your living expenses and debts are equal to your yearly income. Hopefully we will continue to see wages increase.

• Optimistic
Reactions: clonedude

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron