Two Things I Honestly Don't Understand

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
As all this conference realignment talk continues to swirl and possibly comes to fruition, there are two things I quite honestly, don't understand. I know some will say, "Oh, he's just a Husker fan," but I am just trying to be brutally honest.

First of all, I don't understand all of the hate for Nebraska in all of this. If the Big 12 collapses, there is no logical way the blame can be laid at the feet of Nebraska. Anyone with any sense of logic and fairness would have to admit that if Geoffrey, Pollard and the Iowa Board of Regents were provided the same opportunity as Perlman, Osborne and the Nebraska Board of Regents, their decision would have been absolutely the same. Iowa State would have jumped at the opportunity, Missouri obviously would have jumped at the opportunity and so would have Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado or any other school in the conference. There simply are a myriad of reasons why this makes sense for the University of Nebraska. How would Iowa State fans be feeling at this point if they were in this position, made the best decision for their University and saw people unjustly hurling stones at them? The Big 12 Conference could easily survive without any one of it's member, save possibly Texas (and personally I believe the Conference could survive without the Longhorns). Any number of schools from TCU to Houston to Colorado State to even Boise State would jump at the opportunity to join the Big 12 Conference. If the conference implodes, the only logical blame can be laid at the feet of Texas and the five other "lap dogs" that will eventually follow them into the Pac 10.

The second thing I don't understand is why all of the hand-wringing and knashing of teeth by Iowa State fans with regards to the possibly of the University ending up in the Mountain West Conference. I would agree that a move to the MAC could be disastrous to the University, but as I've said before, in my opinion the biggest benefactor in all of this could be the Mountain West. If you honestly don't think any combination of Big 12 schools ending up in the MWC will not immediatly move the conference to BCS or "elite" status is simply not looking at the situation logically. Yes, I understand that Iowa State may lose some of it's natural rivalries, but the MWC, with an infusion of Big 12 Conference schools, will immediately be seen as a top tier conference. Do you honestly think the University of Kansas, with it's long and storied history and with the prominence of its basketball program, is going to be interested in joining a second-rate conference? Not on your life! The MWC has been on the cusp of being considered an "elite" conference for years now. If you don't think adding say Boise State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State wouldn't put them over the top, you are among the most naive of the naive.

Step back for a moment, take a deep breath and look at this thing logically. As much as many CFers love to hate Nebraska, they are not the villain here. They are simply doing what any other right-thinking University board would do...accept an incredible opportunity. Texas and their five "lap dogs" are what will ultimately bring down the Big 12 Conference. And secondly, Iowa State landing in the MWC Conference shouldn't be seen as a step down or a bad thing for the University. The Mountain West Conference stands to gain a lot of stature if all of this comes down the way we expect it to.

Now, take your best shot!

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Nebraska was smart to abort the sinking ship before they their hands were tied.

A positive for Nebby leaving: It knocks the Hawks one peg lower in the their conference !

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
As all this conference realignment talk continues to swirl and possibly comes to fruition, there are two things I quite honestly, don't understand. I know some will say, "Oh, he's just a Husker fan," but I am just trying to be brutally honest.

First of all, I don't understand all of the hate for Nebraska in all of this. If the Big 12 collapses, there is no logical way the blame can be laid at the feet of Nebraska. Anyone with any sense of logic and fairness would have to admit that if Geoffrey, Pollard and the Iowa Board of Regents were provided the same opportunity as Perlman, Osborne and the Nebraska Board of Regents, their decision would have been absolutely the same. Iowa State would have jumped at the opportunity, Missouri obviously would have jumped at the opportunity and so would have Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado or any other school in the conference. There simply are a myriad of reasons why this makes sense for the University of Nebraska. How would Iowa State fans be feeling at this point if they were in the position, made the best decision for their University and saw people unjustly hurling stones at them. The Big 12 Conference could easily survive without any one of it's member, save possibly Texas (and personally I believe the Conference could survive without the Longhorns). Any number of schools from TCU to Houston to Colorado State to even Boise State would jump at the opportunity to join the Big 12 Conference. If the conference implodes, the only logical blame can be laid at the feet of Texas and the five other "lap dogs" that will eventually follow them into the Pac 10.

The second thing I don't understand is why all of the hand-wringing and knashing of teeth by Iowa State fans with regards to the possibly of the University ending up in the Mountain West Conference. I would agree that a move to the MAC could be disastrous to the University, but as I've said before, in my opinion the biggest benefactor in all of this could be the Mountain West. If you honestly don't think any combination of Big 12 schools ending up in the MWC will not immediatly move the conference to BCS or "elite" status is simply not looking at the situation logically. Yes, I understand that Iowa State may lose some of it's natural rivalries, but the MWC, with an infusion of Big 12 Conference schools, will immediately be seen as a top tier conference. Do you honestly think the University of Kansas, with it's long and storied history and with the prominence of its basketball program is going to be interested in joining a second-rate conference? Not on your life! The MWC has been on the cusp of being considered an "elite" conference for years now. If you don't think adding say Boise State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State wouldn't put them over the top, you are among the most naive of the naive.

Step back for a moment, take a deep breath and look at this thing logically. As much as many CFers love to hate Nebraska, they are not the villain here. They are simply doing what any other right-thinking University board would do...accept an incredible opportunity. Texas and their five "lap dogs" are what will ultimately bring down the Big 12 Conference. And secondly, Iowa State landing in the MWC Conference shouldn't be seen as a step down or a bad thing for the University. The Mountain West Conference stands to gain a lot of stature if all of this comes down the way we expect it to.

What if the MWC goes to 12 and doesn't take ISU? There is no guarantee ISU lands in the MWC, and even if they do does the MWC matter anymore if there are 4 Superconferences dicatating everything? Lot of unknowns, and people are nervous. Could be a disaster, could turn out to be ok. It is the natural reaction. You can't understand it becasue you aren't in this postion.

And I am not upset with Nebraska at all.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
How 'bout you quit while you're ahead, hmm'kay?

The more you keep telling us to be "the good little siblings and not take this personally," the more you're going to royally **** off ISU fans - if that's even possible.

How 'bout you just praise the almighty Osbourne about Nebraska's incredible fortune away from this site and not continue to patronize us with "ISU falling to a non-BCS conference will be best for us in the end."

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I agree with the first part of your first point completely. ISU would do the exact same thing if invited to join the Big Ten. No animosity toward Nebraska from me (well, no more than normal :wink:).

However, the second part of point #1 is where I can't agree. While it would be easy to invite a team to replace Nebraska and continue on with the Big 12, it wouldn't be the same. Nebraska is a national name, and has a very storied tradition in football. There probably aren't any teams that could be brought in that would fully replace them. Also, diluting the Big 12 brand won't do the conference any favors when looking to get a new TV deal with or without the Pac 10.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
How 'bout you quit while you're ahead, hmm'kay?

The more you keep telling us to be "the good little siblings and not take this personally," the more you're going to royally **** off ISU fans - if that's even possible.

How 'bout you just praise the almighty Osbourne about Nebraska's incredible fortune away from this site and not continue to patronize us with "ISU falling to a non-BCS conference will be best for us in the end."

I don't get you, jdoggivjc. This is not as though I'm looking at Iowa State as a "good little sibling." I have tremendous respect for Iowa State. I have a daughter who is a proud graduate of ISU. It is an outstanding institution. And when I don't cheer for Nebraska, I cheer for both Iowa State (as much as many of you think I am a hater) and Iowa.

I am simply trying to get people to look at this situation logically. Trying to get Iowa State fans to see the cup as half full instead of half empty.

Reactions: CarolinaCy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
A few things: I don't blame Nebraska at all, and I don't think KU ends up in the MWC. The MW may have their profile raised some but will remain firmly behind the superconferences in every conceivable way. Add this to the fact that ISU will have a distinct adjustment period (recruiting, etc) that will impact them at the start. Also, there is a decent chance that we would be a middle of the road team in the MWC. Middle of the road team in a worse conference = look out.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I am totally fine with Nebraska leaving as Iowa St would do the same thing in a hearbeat. With that said Nebraska still sucks.

Except ISU deserves to be a CIC university, UNL doesn't. I blame the B10. As far as hating Nebraska; that's most because of fans like Wingback.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Do I blame NU for leaving? No. Would ISU do the same thing? Yes. That being said, if NU stays put, the Big XII continues on as is. So, no, they are not blameless in this situation.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I am simply trying to get people to look at this situation logically. Trying to get Iowa State fans to see the cup as half full instead of half empty.

Nothing in your post was a cup half full outcome.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
I think a lot of Cyclone fans are angry at Nebraska simply because they have the opportunity to go to the Big 10, while we do not. Its frustrating from our perspective because Nebraska could save us and not leave for the Big 10. I don't think any really blames Nebraska completely for this. Sure, they have a hand in it, but its mostly Texas to blame, or actually the Big 8 for giving Texas so much power. If anyone was honestly expecting Nebraska to do anything other than what is best for Nebraska they are crazy.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
There's not much wrong with being in a bit of a hypocritical situation of being angry with a peer, while envying their opportunity. Happens often.

And here's a newsflash - if ISU were afforded the same opportunity and took it, and it was Nebraska scrambling to find a home..... holy cow! It'd be times two what's going on here. With that ego over in Huskerland, we'd be hearing about us breaking up the Big XII AND how we don't deserve the Big 10 over NU. Don't kid yourself.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You are right Wingback, you don't understand.

Despite numerous, well thought-out substantive posts indicating how devastating the MWC would be for ISU, not only from an athletic budget standpoint, but from an academic and research standpoint, you still opine that how everything will be OK if ISU goes to the MWC, citing nothing more than your opinion.

Despite numerous posts discussing how NU has consistently voted against completely equal revenue sharing in the Big 12 since the inception of the conference, the continual bickering between UT and NU, and TO's continual sour attitude about the Big 12, you wish for us to believe that NU is innocent of any doings that led to the current situation in the Big 12.

Your unwillingness to accept NU's role in the current Big 12 fiasco, and your refusal to accept that ISU will face negative consequences as a result of conference realignment where ISU is shuffled out of a major conference suggests one of two possibilities: 1) you are simply ignorant of the various situations at hand, or 2) you are an NU shrill whose primary concern is to spin NU in a positive light. I can see no other possibilities.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

First of all, I don't understand all of the hate for Nebraska in all of this. If the Big 12 collapses, there is no logical way the blame can be laid at the feet of Nebraska. Anyone with any sense of logic and fairness would have to admit that if Geoffrey, Pollard and the Iowa Board of Regents were provided the same opportunity as Perlman, Osborne and the Nebraska Board of Regents, their decision would have been absolutely the same. Iowa State would have jumped at the opportunity, Missouri obviously would have jumped at the opportunity and so would have Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado or any other school in the conference. There simply are a myriad of reasons why this makes sense for the University of Nebraska. How would Iowa State fans be feeling at this point if they were in this position, made the best decision for their University and saw people unjustly hurling stones at them? The Big 12 Conference could easily survive without any one of it's member, save possibly Texas (and personally I believe the Conference could survive without the Longhorns). Any number of schools from TCU to Houston to Colorado State to even Boise State would jump at the opportunity to join the Big 12 Conference. If the conference implodes, the only logical blame can be laid at the feet of Texas and the five other "lap dogs" that will eventually follow them into the Pac 10.

The second thing I don't understand is why all of the hand-wringing and knashing of teeth by Iowa State fans with regards to the possibly of the University ending up in the Mountain West Conference. I would agree that a move to the MAC could be disastrous to the University, but as I've said before, in my opinion the biggest benefactor in all of this could be the Mountain West. If you honestly don't think any combination of Big 12 schools ending up in the MWC will not immediatly move the conference to BCS or "elite" status is simply not looking at the situation logically. Yes, I understand that Iowa State may lose some of it's natural rivalries, but the MWC, with an infusion of Big 12 Conference schools, will immediately be seen as a top tier conference. Do you honestly think the University of Kansas, with it's long and storied history and with the prominence of its basketball program, is going to be interested in joining a second-rate conference? Not on your life! The MWC has been on the cusp of being considered an "elite" conference for years now. If you don't think adding say Boise State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State wouldn't put them over the top, you are among the most naive of the naive.

I think the real problem was BigTen pulled the plug on the Big 12 boat before we had our $200M network deal in place next year. Delaney is a much smoother operator than the Beebe Man. That said, the Big Ten will now have even major competition from PAC 16 on the sports scene. I think the 6 football teams head their weay are stronger than the five headed Big Ten way.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
First of all, I don't understand all of the hate for Nebraska in all of this. If the Big 12 collapses, there is no logical way the blame can be laid at the feet of Nebraska. Anyone with any sense of logic and fairness would have to admit that if Geoffrey, Pollard and the Iowa Board of Regents were provided the same opportunity as Perlman, Osborne and the Nebraska Board of Regents, their decision would have been absolutely the same. Iowa State would have jumped at the opportunity,
QUOTE]
Gimme a break. It was nebraska that breaks the big TV network deal by Fox main channel. If not Nebraska, who then? Gimme another *** to kick. Beebe. No, Nebraska leaving dissolved the league. Nebby will have to accept that.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Do I blame NU for leaving? No. Would ISU do the same thing? Yes. That being said, if NU stays put, the Big XII continues on as is. So, no, they are not blameless in this situation.
The only blame Nebby gets is they took away the straw that broke the camels back. ND was already in the fold so they did not need to be Big Ten team number 13.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Chipbrownob

A Big 12 AD: hoping Notre Dame will reconsider and accept B10 berth, maybe causing B10 to "yank its invitation to Nebraska" and save B12.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Wingback-

The problem with comparing Nebraska to ISU is this. Nebraska voted against equal revenue sharing when it was up for vote. They then got angry because they feel they are getting screwed. We voted for it so we have set the precedent that we were already unhappy with the revenue sharing. Nebraska should have been fine with it. That is my problem with Nebraska. They made this bed not they are just jumping out of it.

I do not blame Nebraska. Them leaving isn't enough to dissolve the Big 12. I just have trouble with the hypocrisy.

I agree on the MWC. They should be licking their chops right now ready to grab five BCS schools and get that BCS bid they have been looking for.