Transfer Portal in wrestling

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
article on Griffiths top 3
200w.gif

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
article on Griffiths top 3
Disappointing for us, certainly, but bigger picture more disappointing to the wrestling community as a whole. Stanford athletics (and their band) is on my list. Using a pandemic as justification to kill our sport—even though enough money was raised by donors to keep it alive—is unconscionable.

Reactions: jkbuff98

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If Griffith goes to PSU what the heck are the going to do with Facundo? Ask him to grey shirt again? Are they going to shift up Brooks and Starocci to make room?

I understand why top kids go to PSU, but the log jam there is incredible.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
If Griffith goes to PSU what the heck are the going to do with Facundo? Ask him to grey shirt again? Are they going to shift up Brooks and Starocci to make room?

I’ve seen some talk of him going to 174 is that Starocci ?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

Penn State board has said it’s down to Michigan and North Carolina because he wants to go 174. They don’t think they’ll land him

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Penn State board has said it’s down to Michigan and North Carolina because he wants to go 174. They don’t think they’ll land him
I’d like to know how close we were (or not close) and why Dresser wasn’t able to land him. He’s a big fish obviously with many suitors. But it would be interesting to know the why. I suspect the 174 thing and further from training with David weight wise might have been part of it.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Being honest and upfront, I'm not sure why anyone thought he was coming here. Because Carr said come to Iowa State in his interview? This program is still trying to get to that level where blue chips see value in coming here, knowing they will get better with multiple partners in the room. I still believe this will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later. People need to pump the brakes when they see someone enter the portal and immediately think ISU is in the mix every time. North Carolina surprises me though, must be related to his master's program.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Being honest and upfront, I'm not sure why anyone thought he was coming here. Because Carr said come to Iowa State in his interview? This program is still trying to get to that level where blue chips see value in coming here, knowing they will get better with multiple partners in the room. I still believe this will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later. People need to pump the brakes when they see someone enter the portal and immediately think ISU is in the mix every time. North Carolina surprises me though, must be related to his master's program.
if that’s the case how is Michigan in the mix for all these transfers? They don’t scream elite to me they scream underperform.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I agree that people should pump the brakes on transfers. I do think we are a legit destination for consideration and David Carr's title reinforces that. However, we really have no idea how much scholly $$ is available nor do I want our coaches to pull current money from someone already in the room to give to a new transfer. Obviously the Stanford/Griffith situation isn't typical when it comes to the transfer portal. Wrestling is a sport that I think the coaches needs to focus more on landing the top HS recruits and develop them (vs transfers). It's easier to have success with transfers in basketball or other similar type of team sports. However, it's not very often in wrestling that another teams backup is one of the top 8 guys in the country, which is what you need for success.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
if that’s the case how is Michigan in the mix for all these transfers? They don’t scream elite to me they scream underperform.
They have a solid room already, with shown success to develop mid-upper weights. Opportunity to wrestle top talent in B10 week in week out.

Reactions: cyputz

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
I agree that people should pump the brakes on transfers. I do think we are a legit destination for consideration and David Carr's title reinforces that. However, we really have no idea how much scholly $$ is available nor do I want our coaches to pull current money from someone already in the room to give to a new transfer. Obviously the Stanford/Griffith situation isn't typical when it comes to the transfer portal. Wrestling is a sport that I think the coaches needs to focus more on landing the top HS recruits and develop them (vs transfers). It's easier to have success with transfers in basketball or other similar type of team sports. However, it's not very often in wrestling that another teams backup is one of the top 8 guys in the country, which is what you need for success.
Agree. No one knows money situation

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Any speculation on what news is being announced at the town hall meeting in Ankeny on Thursday ?

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Any speculation on what news is being announced at the town hall meeting in Ankeny on Thursday ?
I hope something college recruiting related, but being this is a CRTC event I imagine something regarding that. Possibly a big donation announcement to start the fundraising season.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Griffith is currently a Science, Technology, & Society major. From a degree standpoint, I figured it was possible we'd be in the mix.

That said, I'm pretty sure North Carolina is one of the best Science, Technology, & Society programs around. They'd be my guess. Also, the University seems to be much more supportive of their program than in the past, having Coleman Scott, Tony Ramos, and Jamill Kelly on staff is nothing to sniff at, plus a newly minted champ.

• Informative
Reactions: WhizzerClone

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
They have a solid room already, with shown success to develop mid-upper weights. Opportunity to wrestle top talent in B10 week in week out.

For Griffith, it may matter that MI is a top ranked, elite academic institution. Same for North Carolina to a somewhat lesser degree. In the bigger picture, ISU (and for that matter IA) are backwaters.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I hope something college recruiting related, but being this is a CRTC event I imagine something regarding that. Possibly a big donation announcement to start the fundraising season.
No inside information, but could also see the surprise information being an announcement on what seniors are returning next year.