Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
True. You'd know a lot about that on the football side. Kind of sucks....
Meh. I guess when you've been a Clone fan as long as I have been it's hard to have expectations of "CFP or BUST" and/or "BigXII Championship or bust".

Was the potential there, sure; was the hype there, 100%. But football is a fickle mistress, a few breaks/bounces one way or the other and the whole thing can come tumbling down - I mean the team last year was a complete Tom Herman implosion away from even making the game last season.

This year's team still has the opportunity to make 5 straight bowl games which is uncharted waters for a program like Iowa State and they still have an outside chance at making the conference championship game again - I'll let the season run it's course before declaring "failed expectations".

The staff continues to exceed my expectations in recruiting, player development, and facility improvement - can the same be said for Fran and co.? I mean a Sweet 16 is essentially a mid-tier bowl game with Elite Eight and beyond brushing into the NY6 comps IMO - Remind me again how long it's been since Fran has basked in those lights? I'll wait as you progress your count well beyond 5,000.

Reactions: dexterhawk

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Meh. I guess when you've been a Clone fan as long as I have been it's hard to have expectations of "CFP or BUST" and/or "BigXII Championship or bust".

Was the potential there, sure; was the hype there, 100%. But football is a fickle mistress, a few breaks/bounces one way or the other and the whole thing can come tumbling down - I mean the team last year was a complete Tom Herman implosion away from even making the game last season.

This year's team still has the opportunity to make 5 straight bowl games which is uncharted waters for a program like Iowa State and they still have an outside chance at making the conference championship game again - I'll let the season run it's course before declaring "failed expectations".

The staff continues to exceed my expectations in recruiting, player development, and facility improvement - can the same be said for Fran and co.? I mean a Sweet 16 is essentially a mid-tier bowl game with Elite Eight and beyond brushing into the NY6 comps IMO - Remind me again how long it's been since Fran has basked in those lights? I'll wait as you progress your count well beyond 5,000.
True and can't argue.

On the football side....high expectations kind of take some of the joy out of the season in a way. Win's are more relief than anything and the pressure on the team is just ratcheted up. Better to be in a position to exceed expectations in that regard.

Basketball-- Lack of tourney success sux no doubt. I'm cautiously optimistic the bball team will exceed expectations this year but we'll see.

• Friendly
Reactions: frackincygy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
True and can't argue.

On the football side....high expectations kind of take some of the joy out of the season in a way. Win's are more relief than anything and the pressure on the team is just ratcheted up. Better to be in a position to exceed expectations in that regard.

Basketball-- Lack of tourney success sux no doubt. I'm cautiously optimistic the bball team will exceed expectations this year but we'll see.
I've got Iowa finishing a game or 2 above .500 and NIT hopeful.

Iowa State will win 8 or 9 games. Maybe 1 or 2 in the Big 12.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I should have never doubted Garza being a NBA player. All he does is grind his ass off to make up for his limitations.

Detroit Pistons open practice takeaways
Luka Garza looked great
Luka Garza did not start in the team scrimmage Saturday. However he stole the show.

Garza is a friggin work horse but you can't play that way night in/night out in the NBA or you are going to have a short career.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Honesty of it is, he probably only has to do it for 10 minutes or less a night at this point. I'll bet he can do that for 80 games.
He'll probably get more than 10 mpg. Plenty of minutes to go around on the worst team in the league. I do think the fewer minutes he plays the better it will be for him in the long run. He could probably be really efficient playing 5-10 mpg. Playing more than that could leave him open to have his weaknesses exposed more.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclones1969

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Garza is a friggin work horse but you can't play that way night in/night out in the NBA or you are going to have a short career.
5c3891114ac9fa61e0f27f9ae58f6760.gif

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
He'll probably get more than 10 mpg. Plenty of minutes to go around on the worst team in the league. I do think the fewer minutes he plays the better it will be for him in the long run. He could probably be really efficient playing 5-10 mpg. Playing more than that could leave him open to have his weaknesses exposed more.

He’s going to get a lot of dnp coaches decisions if he’s on the roster

he will get his run with whomever their g league team is

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Texas always underachieves. #2? Yeah I don't think so.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
In Vegas I ran into an OU fan whining about how tough OU has it in football. ******** about 11:00 am starts, losing so many players to the NFL, having to recruit because they don't "reload" every year, blah blah blah.
What an entitled A$$hat. Hope they get boat raced in every game from now until eternity.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY