Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And I shouldn't even limit it to Prohm. Most coaches are gracious. Even Bill Self gives props to ISU when we kick their butts.
Self after the game at Hilton this year stuttered and then said something to the tune of "Give them credit, they manhandled us."

Reactions: mj4cy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Had a chance to talk to Fran McCaffery for a half hour Wednesday on KCJJ with Pat Harty from All Hawkeyes. Here are some of the nuggets from Wednesday.
1) They are still seriously considering redshirting Patrick so he can get bigger and stronger.
2) CJ Fredrick is all that. He is a pretty complete ball player. We're gonna love him.
3) Jack Nunge is about 255, shooting lights out, and is a completely different player than what we last saw.
4) Joe Toussaint is what we have been missing. A lightning quick, slashing point guard.
5) Has one more interview this week with a potential assistant. Very likely will have the hire wrapped up next week.
6) Is afraid that we may be heading towards free agency in college basketball and is not supportive.
7) Thinks the AAU system is still overall a good one even though there are some bad apples. He will not watch any AAU teams that he knows are paying players.
8) Asked if having his kids on the team affected recruiting. He said probably, in that he knows of several coaches that use that and say he's going to play his own kids more than he should. Fran says it's up to him to allot the minutes fairly and give all of the players the minutes they have earned.

giphy.webp

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I love him. I love that he is at EIU. I have a hard time deciding who my favorite Hok MBB coach has been - him or Alford.

Wait no mention of Lickliter.? He at least deserves mention due to being brought up in every discussion of Fran's record/contract and Alford's exit. EIU's boogieman of Coaches.

It has been quite a run of Head Coaches for the Hoks these past 20 years.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Wait no mention of Lickliter.? He at least deserves mention due to being brought up in every discussion of Fran's record/contract and Alford's exit. EIU's boogieman of Coaches.

It has been quite a run of Head Coaches for the Hoks these past 20 years.

LL gets an Honorable Mention but guy was just too nice and he was so bad he really never gave hoks hope. These other two buffoons have/had hokdom eating out of the palm of their hands.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
And I shouldn't even limit it to Prohm. Most coaches are gracious. Even Bill Self gives props to ISU when we kick their butts.

Some people (media & fans) like to defend Fran's demeanor and actions by saying that he is just an east coast guy. Just because he is from the eastern part of the US does not give him the excuse to act the way he does.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Had a chance to talk to Fran McCaffery for a half hour Wednesday on KCJJ with Pat Harty from All Hawkeyes. Here are some of the nuggets from Wednesday.
1) They are still seriously considering redshirting Patrick so he can get bigger and stronger.
2) CJ Fredrick is all that. He is a pretty complete ball player. We're gonna love him.
3) Jack Nunge is about 255, shooting lights out, and is a completely different player than what we last saw.
4) Joe Toussaint is what we have been missing. A lightning quick, slashing point guard.
5) Has one more interview this week with a potential assistant. Very likely will have the hire wrapped up next week.
6) Is afraid that we may be heading towards free agency in college basketball and is not supportive.
7) Thinks the AAU system is still overall a good one even though there are some bad apples. He will not watch any AAU teams that he knows are paying players.
8) Asked if having his kids on the team affected recruiting. He said probably, in that he knows of several coaches that use that and say he's going to play his own kids more than he should. Fran says it's up to him to allot the minutes fairly and give all of the players the minutes they have earned.

giphy.webp

The old redshirt a guy and making him an All American when he comes back move....nice.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

giphy.webp

Where was this from. I would like to read the rest

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hoiberg gets credit for those guys IMO. Since the last of the Hoiberg era guys left Prohm hasn’t done squat in the tourney.
Weiler-Babb was a Hoiberg recruit, so I guess Prohm's official record starts next year then? We get the same dumbass argument from anti-Prohm ISU fans regarding Prohm's first two years. Calipari and a bunch of McD AA's got beat by Oral Roberts in the first round of the NIT a few years back, UNC with a bunch of McD AA's was a dumpster fire under Daugherty, and generational talent Ben Simmons didn't sniff the tourney. But yes, that team with a guy that took a bit of a long route to be a rotation guy in the NBA and a couple guys that might turn out to be journeymen was so loaded with talent anybody could've coached it to a sweet 16.

Besides, in terms of developing NBA players, Nader was a guy getting DNPs under Hoibert, and Burton never played for Hoiberg. So I'm going to give Prohm the nod on that development.

But congrats on having one of the best years of the Fran era with that 10 seed and being a corner bankshot from probably not making the tournament. He does deserve some credit for figuring out when to start to collapse at just the right time stay in the tournament but get out of the 8/9 game to avoid a 1 seed in the second round. He's getting that dialed in and has it down to a science.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Give him credit for being honest!
I see this as someone interviewing a biology student that never played a college sport what it was like being on the field playing for the football team. College athletes have better things to do than learn the fight song.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I see this as someone interviewing a biology student that never played a college sport what it was like being on the field playing for the football team. College athletes have better things to do than learn the fight song.

Don't lots of football teams sing the school fight song after a victory?

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
we are talking about basketball :)

You brought up football!

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
You brought up football!
No I didn't. LOL.

In all seriousness I don't have issue with not knowing those songs for anybody. Doesn't make you less engaged if you don't know the words.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
The old redshirt a guy and making him an All American when he comes back move....nice.

So on Nunge, I am not sure what to expect now. Wasn't he labeled as a stud and game changer when recruited. I remember them talking Twin Towers 2 with him and Garza. Does this mean now he sucks?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Weiler-Babb was a Hoiberg recruit, so I guess Prohm's official record starts next year then? We get the same dumbass argument from anti-Prohm ISU fans regarding Prohm's first two years. Calipari and a bunch of McD AA's got beat by Oral Roberts in the first round of the NIT a few years back, UNC with a bunch of McD AA's was a dumpster fire under Daugherty, and generational talent Ben Simmons didn't sniff the tourney. But yes, that team with a guy that took a bit of a long route to be a rotation guy in the NBA and a couple guys that might turn out to be journeymen was so loaded with talent anybody could've coached it to a sweet 16.

Besides, in terms of developing NBA players, Nader was a guy getting DNPs under Hoibert, and Burton never played for Hoiberg. So I'm going to give Prohm the nod on that development.

But congrats on having one of the best years of the Fran era with that 10 seed and being a corner bankshot from probably not making the tournament. He does deserve some credit for figuring out when to start to collapse at just the right time stay in the tournament but get out of the 8/9 game to avoid a 1 seed in the second round. He's getting that dialed in and has it down to a science.

Fred was nominally the head coach when Nick signed up but way out the door. TJ was the de facto interim at that point, or at least I prefer to think of it that way.

TJ brought Nick into the program, not Fred.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron