Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Few thoughts:

Agree Garza can score. Can't let him spot up and nail threes. I don't think he is a huge threat to put it on the floor and drive to the hole, so you have to close out. His post moves seem to be a fade away jumper and slow motion up-and-unders. Can't afford to go for those fakes and foul. Need to body him and keep him off the offensive glass. Loved the work Solo did on Cook 2 years ago. His bodying up on him took him out of his offensive game. On the other hand, I hope someone is agressive enough on Garza to expose him on defense.

If they sit J-Bo a game or two so he can play against ISU, how can they not say that is their SuperBowl if they then plan to shut him down?

Like Wieskamps game. Can't let him get hot outside, but don't close out so fast you give up the baseline when he is in the corner. He has lots of skills, but seems to leverage a few of those regularly so possibly someone you can force out of his comfort zone. I haven't watched enough of their games to focus in on him for a true scouting report.

I remember during the game last year during an early timeout, Prohm was on Haliburton about letting Moss keep rising up and shooting threes uncontested.

Let Garza shoot from 3 all day long

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm being honest, if Fran would think it through they would have a 7 man rotation:

Connor
CJF
Weiskamp
Nunge
Garza

Kriener
Toussaint.

That's it. That's the only guys that should be playing on that team.
After watching part of the game last night I am beginning to wonder if the first name and the last name on this list need to be swapped.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel and GTO

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
After watching part of the game last night I am beginning to wonder if the first name and the last name on this list need to be swapped.

That's all I have heard all day at work, is how Toussaint is this amazing Bronx superstar. So quick, such an incredible passer, etc etc. I am sure he is good, but the comparison to Connor is probably making him look good.

My response to all the knob slobbering has been "do you think he will get half as many minutes as Connor?"

Reactions: GTO

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's all I have heard all day at work, is how Toussaint is this amazing Bronx superstar. So quick, such an incredible passer, etc etc. I am sure he is good, but the comparison to Connor is probably making him look good.

My response to all the knob slobbering has been "do you think he will get half as many minutes as Connor?"
Toussaint is a completely different type of guard than Iowa has had in a long time. He's quick, explosive and looks like he could be a nice player for them in the coming years. Iowa fans are amazed at his athleticism because I don't think they've seen a player as fast as him in the black and gold. Also, he moves about 100x faster than any other person in the same color uniform as him so that probably makes him look a lot faster than he really is.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Toussaint is a completely different type of guard than Iowa has had in a long time. He's quick, explosive and looks like he could be a nice player for them in the coming years. Iowa fans are amazed at his athleticism because I don't think they've seen a player as fast as him in the black and gold. Also, he moves about 100x faster than any other person in the same color uniform as him so that probably makes him look a lot faster than he really is.

Yeah. He's not quick compared to a Wigginton or even a Grill.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lafaester54

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

AugerHR All-American

If this team is to be much better next year they are going to need Patrick to show he is a top75 talent from his class and one of the new recruits (Perkins) is going to have to be a player coming in that can contribute.
PG Toussaint
SG Bohannon
W Weiskamp
F Nunge
C Garza

G Frederick
G Connor
F Pat
F Pemsl

Is a loaded team.

3 Auger,

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL

AugerHR All-American

If this team is to be much better next year they are going to need Patrick to show he is a top75 talent from his class and one of the new recruits (Perkins) is going to have to be a player coming in that can contribute.
PG Toussaint
SG Bohannon
W Weiskamp
F Nunge
C Garza

G Frederick
G Connor
F Pat
F Pemsl

Is a loaded team.

3 Auger,

cAde0ajk673ky1I4A4cQjOQrYPa.jpg

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

AugerHR All-American

PG Toussaint
SG Bohannon
W Weiskamp
F Nunge
C Garza

G Frederick
G Connor
F Pat
F Pemsl

Is a loaded team.

3 Auger,
Loaded with what? Lol that starting 5 are two guys that are 6 feet nothing and then three slow guys. The bench is even worse than the starters!

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
If we slow/stop Garza we will win by double digits. Wieskamp is not capable of doing it himself.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

AugerHR All-American

PG Toussaint
SG Bohannon
W Weiskamp
F Nunge
C Garza

G Frederick
G Connor
F Pat
F Pemsl

Is a loaded team.

3 Auger,
That is about the opposite of what I would consider loaded.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I have a few friends I grew up with that have done time in the prison, the excitement Hawk fans have for Joe T reminds me of how much each of these friends were in to the first chubby girl they met after they got out. A dry spell changes your perspective.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That is about the opposite of what I would consider loaded.

Assuming JoBo shuts it down, they basically return everybody they should have in their rotation right now next year. The incoming recruiting class does not offer any likely upgrades, but at least they are keeping what they have and their few good players (and perhaps a healthy JoBo to chuck some threes for them).

That is at least something to look forward to. Development and roster consistency can be powerful things in the right hands. But I think we all known none of these guys are really going to improve with McCaffery around coaching them and/or the awful bench not really pushing them in practice or in the offseason like it should.

He has was above 30% his freshman year and dipped below that last year, but has made 6 of 10 so far this year. I realize that is a small sample size, but not completely insignificant.

That is just too small of a sample size to really know (and yes, I know I am guilty of something of the same thing with our season's stats so far).

Garza bricking threes is the Garza you want. Garza on the block is what you do not want, assuming you are scheming something to beat the Hawkeyes.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I know we like making fun of Iowa, but...

Garza can score. Not much for defense, but the guy knows how to fill up the bucket. Who do we put on him? Young and body him up? Conditt and block him?

Wieskamp is still a dude. They would suck without him.

You know JoBo is going to play in the Iowa State game and come out firing like 3/4 from three and start chirping early. Whoever gets him on defense (and probably Nixon? maybe Haliburton?) is going to have to put him in his place early, too.

We miss a Georges sort of trash-talker to **** with their heads. Somebody needs to do it.

Iowa is not good, but they will up for their Super Bowl. We better be ready.

Bruh. Have you never seen Jacobson play? Nobody is as good a trash talker as Georges, but Mike holds his own.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis and GTO