Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
He is a great shooter. You have to consider degree of difficulty on his 3 point shots. Finally, Iowa’s chance for NCAA tournament is dead.
I wouldn't be so sure. The tournament committee sometimes seems to have in their minds that the B1G needs X number of teams in the tourney, even if only 4 or 5 might be the only ones deserving. As much as it makes me want to puke, Iowa may find themselves around that cut line in B1G standings. I really hope not.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I wouldn't be so sure. The tournament committee sometimes seems to have in their minds that the B1G needs X number of teams in the tourney, even if only 4 or 5 might be the only ones deserving. As much as it makes me want to puke, Iowa may find themselves around that cut line in B1G standings. I really hope not.
4 or more of the 9-11 seeds could be big 10.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Hassell has been so confident talking about Iowa recently that he basically has me convinced that they're playing well enough to make a run. Thing is I haven't watched them play in a while. When I saw them against us and into January I really felt like they just weren't very good. Has something changed? From perusing box scores I can see that Dix has really been lighting it up. Has a switched flipped for him and he's transformed into a real difference maker or is he just hot? Is that it?

They look good till the play a team that plays defense is my guess.

Reactions: Cloned4Life

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If they’re going to get into the tourney (I’m not sold at this point), play up to a 9 seed so they can play Houston. That would be enjoyable.

That would be worse than the Baylor dunk fest in the NIT championship. I'd watch it.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
This is completely pathetic. He’s already playing off him by several feet because his strategy is to give him a three or long 2 instead of a blow by. And he still gives up the blow by.
Iowa is unfazed by pathetically weak defense because the guy who gets beat absolutely salivates at the opportunity to run down to the opposite end of the floor and get an open shot for themselves. They are so conditioned to this that it is hard to break out of that habit even when the game dictates that giving up any more points will seal a loss for your team.

Reactions: GTO

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Iowa is unfazed by pathetically weak defense because the guy who gets beat absolutely salivates at the opportunity to run down to the opposite end of the floor and get an open shot for themselves. They are so conditioned to this that it is hard to break out of that habit even when the game dictates that giving up any more points will seal a loss for your team.
You can see immediately turns around and is looking for the ball so he can hoist another three in transition.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Short of Iowa winning the B1G tournament…. no way they get in, right?
Their best possible path in B1G tourney is Ohio State (60 NET), Illinois (16 NET), Nebraska (40 NET), and Purdue (2 NET). If they got to championship and lost, it would be 2 Quad 1 wins. That might be enough.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Even if Iowa beats Ohio State and Illinois in the Big 10 tourney they’d be 5-9 in Q1 and 5-13 Q1-2. They’d have one win over an AP top 25 team all year. I’m sorry but if that gets you in there is a serious fix in place for the Big 10.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I'll go so far as to say that between the following teams: Indiana, Iowa, Michigan St, Ohio St & Minnesota.....at least TWO of those teams will make the tournament, maybe even three.
NONE of those should make it unless they get to 20 or more wins. Even at 20 wins, it is PIG or off the bubble. Really need 21 or more, which means 3 wins in conf tourney or bust for all of them (I know OSU has 19 but they have fewer conf regular season wins so they need 3 also).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron