Tornado!

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
That's because it wasn't on TV! It was in our back yard and we had no idea until it was on us. I just went and looked at the houses. Pretty tore up. Could have been a lot worse though. Marked it off with my odometer. It was .5 miles west and .9 miles north from where the houses were tore up to our apartment.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Sorry my friends... They have me "chasing" up in NW Iowa tonight. I know South Central Iowa really had their hands full this evening! I pray everyone is safe! We're setting up just SW of Storm Lake. Actually, between Storm Lake and Denison, IA. It's true, the skies over Iowa have really been talking tonight!

(Word to the wise)... They weren't tornados, they were Cyclones!
In meteorology a cyclone is an area of closed, circular fluid motion rotating in the same direction as the earth. This is usually characterized by inward spiraling winds that rotate counter clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere of the Earth. :wink:
I am taking this as a sign that 2010 will be the year of the Cyclones!!!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Several years ago I saw a wispy tornado come out of a very long, narrow cloud at one end while going 40 mph across the sky. It was blue sky everywhere else. It took two new houses off their foundations. Clear, blue sky. It can happen.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Back in '95, I seen 3 different tornadoes and it was awesome as hell but scary as **** too! We were heading back to Carroll from Rockwell City when we seen a huge tornado right over Auburn(its north of Carroll about 20 minutes) So we literally were dodging tornadoes for about an hour. One of the coolest things I seen that night was a tornado popped up but it looked like it popped out of the ground. If my brother wouldn't of had his gf's 4x4 truck we woulda been toast. We had to take gravel roads to dodge them and they were all mud basically. I really want to see another one but see one that doesnt hurt anything or anyone.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Back in '95, I seen 3 different tornadoes and it was awesome as hell but scary as **** too! We were heading back to Carroll from Rockwell City when we seen a huge tornado right over Auburn(its north of Carroll about 20 minutes) So we literally were dodging tornadoes for about an hour. One of the coolest things I seen that night was a tornado popped up but it looked like it popped out of the ground. If my brother wouldn't of had his gf's 4x4 truck we woulda been toast. We had to take gravel roads to dodge them and they were all mud basically. I really want to see another one but see one that doesnt hurt anything or anyone.

My guess is that you are talking about one of the biggest tornado days in Iowa history.

9 tornadoes, 3 of which were F4 strength with all three that obtained F4 strength on the ground at the same time.

From the sounds of it, one of the ones you saw was an F4...
1995 Iowa tornado outbreak

Last edited:

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
We went driving around last night. Some of the house looked pretty tore up. Sounds like everyone was ok though, so that is good!

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
We have some friends that live on Country Club that we haven't heard from since the storm. According to an earlier post, the tornado hit about a half-mile north of 92 but I'd like to know if it was on the west or east side of 69?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
We have some friends that live on Country Club that we haven't heard from since the storm. According to an earlier post, the tornado hit about a half-mile north of 92 but I'd like to know if it was on the west or east side of 69?

It was on the west side of 65/69.