Top-wrestlers-that-need-a-wildcard-to-the-2021-ncaa-championships

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
If I was a betting man I would say Fix and Lee will dominate their weights at Nationals. The only other wrestler who looks way out in front of everyone is Gable Steveson. I think Mekhi Lewis may struggle to AA this year. He has few matches and didnt even finish the ACC tournament. Carr has a great chance to win a title at 157 this year as that weight looks pretty open.

One wrestler of note was Ethan Smith dropped a massively tight decision to Marinelli 3-2 in the finals at 165. Think of the gap that would close for the Cyclones had he stayed committed. Ridge Lovett also took a close second to Sasso at 149.

Carr could win 157, but Deakin has been pretty dominant the last two seasons. He hasn't lost since 2019 NCAAs, and beat Carr and Hidlay last year at Cliff Keen. I think those top 3 have separated themselves from the rest of the 157 field.

• Agree
Reactions: DantheFan

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Carr could win 157, but Deakin has been pretty dominant the last two seasons. He hasn't lost since 2019 NCAAs, and beat Carr and Hidlay last year at Cliff Keen. I think those top 3 have separated themselves from the rest of the 157 field.

I thought the same thing about Deakin. Gibbons mentioned this weekend, that he feels Deakin is the strongest #4# wrestler in the country and it's hard to disagree when you watch him. Carr's quickness could be an offsetting factor, but he'll have to hit quick, clean finishes and he's going to have a hard time getting away if he goes underneath.

I know Lee wrestled Eierman tough but I feel like Eierman did what he needed to do to win it, and there could be more separation possible at that weight. Lee is awfully solid though, so I won't count him out.

Thanks for the info all. It does appear that Terukina and Colbray should have very good looks at WCs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron