Ames
www.twitter.com
My top 5 when I was there from 2000-2:
1. Little Taipei - although now I hear the owner has changed
2. Cafe Northwest
3. Le's Vietnamese Restaurant - friendly owner, generous portion
4. New China
5. Golden Wok - I only liked its Chicken Thigh

I agree with Little Taipei being good but Chinese Homestyle Cooking is better. House of Chen is very good too. La Fuente is very good Mexican food. The best pizza in Ames has to be Pizza Pit.

A restaraunt that many don't know about is Country House between Colo and Nevada on US Highway 30 at the Twin Anchors Campground. It is a 10 minute drive from I-35 and is some of the best food I have had in Central Iowa. It is traditional Iowa homestyle cooking that has large portions yet is affordable.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
A restaraunt that many don't know about is Country House between Colo and Nevada on US Highway 30 at the Twin Anchors Campground. It is a 10 minute drive from I-35 and is some of the best food I have had in Central Iowa. It is traditional Iowa homestyle cooking that has large portions yet is affordable.

It is also guaranteed to clog your arteries faster than anything around. :wink: I think you could probably order gravy with a side of gravy.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
It is also guaranteed to clog your arteries faster than anything around. :wink: I think you could probably order gravy with a side of gravy.

Regardless, some of the best food I have had in central Iowa. Their prime rib and hot beef sandwiches are amazing.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I agree with Little Taipei being good but Chinese Homestyle Cooking is better. House of Chen is very good too. La Fuente is very good Mexican food. The best pizza in Ames has to be Pizza Pit.

CHC has more varieties although no one can beat Little Taipei's porkchop. I think the reason I put LT on my list was because I always walk from campus and LT is on the way home from campus to my dorm. House of Chen was great too

I like Davincis though I will never forget ordering $6 pizza from Home Team pizza during the finals week and there would be so many students also ordering from Home Team around midnight.

Thanks for reminding me of so many great memories !

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Someone should make a poll out of this. Top 5 with the most votes win. I'm too lazy tho...

Cheer4Lyfe

Apr 28, 2009
Ames! For LYFE!
I can't believe no one has said:

Hickory Park

Ew. I have lived here all my 21 years and the only thing good they have are sides. Their meat is dry, and tastless, if it hasn't come out semi-cold. The atmosphere sucks compared to what it used to be, and is filled with screaming people and loud people who can't believe how "WONDERFUL THIS PLACE ISSSSS." All who are usually visitors that wouldn't know good BBQ if it hit them in the face. Mainly because Hickory Park is NOT good BBQ.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Ew. I have lived here all my 21 years and the only thing good they have are sides. Their meat is dry, and tastless, if it hasn't come out semi-cold. The atmosphere sucks compared to what it used to be, and is filled with screaming people and loud people who can't believe how "WONDERFUL THIS PLACE ISSSSS." All who are usually visitors that wouldn't know good BBQ if it hit them in the face. Mainly because Hickory Park is NOT good BBQ.

The problem for people in Central Iowa is that when friends/relatives visit, the one thing they want is Hickory Park. Hickory Park is great once or twice a year, but any more than that is just too much!!

Cyclone_Grav

Jul 13, 2007
Des Moines
I can't believe no one has said Thai Kitchen! I used to love that place. Every sunday I went there lunch and got their thai ice tea which was GREAT for hangovers. The food was good, it was reasonably priced, and I could walk there. If you want asian cuisine, it is way better than little taipei or homestyle.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Pretty much sums up how I feel about HP. When I was a little kid I remember the old location being better (especially the atmosphere), but at that time I loved Mac & Cheese, so who knows. I cannot think of a judging criteria that I would give HP more than an average rating. Once in a while nostalgia overcomes me and I will go to HP. Every time I leave I wonder why I ever go there. It is like eating in a BBQ themed chain cafeteria.

ZCyclone

Mar 24, 2009
Ames, IA

Pretty much. Its not bad for dinners with the family, but for quality bbq you need to go somewhere where the food and dining areas are consistently warm.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Pretty much. Its not bad for dinners with the family, but for quality bbq you need to go somewhere where the food and dining areas are consistently warm.

HP seems to be a place of big debate here. IMO it is a great restaurant... but not great BBQ. There is plenty of selection and usually even picky eaters find something they'll like. The prices are cheap and you can bring a big group. And the desert menu is awesome. I usually order their hickory burger and cheese balls. I haven't been impressed with the ribs, so I order something else. For BBQ, I'll go to Battles or Jethros in DM or Bandanas in Ankeny.

Living in town, HP is far from my favorite place, but we still end up going there a couple times a month at least whether it's with company or just for a quick cheap meal. Not to mention, if you have kids, they can be loud there and you don't have to worry about it.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I didn't read all posts, but did anyone say Grove Cafe (for breakfast)?

Seriously, I worked on Main St. for about six months and three to four times a week we'd get breakfast from there. You could get two of their HUGE orange pancakes, a side of bacon or sausage and literally a 20 oz. styrofoam cup of syrup for about five bucks. My employee and I would split that every time. I solely blame Grove Cafe for my significant weight gain in that time period.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron