Top Five Ames Restaurants

NewCoke

Jan 20, 2009
I am getting my brother in law, an incoming ISU freshman, as a High School graduation gift certificates to the top 5 restaurants in Ames. The goal of this is to get him quick exposure to the best places.

My current list is (in no particular order)
1. Money (including a half dollar) for the Gyro cart
2. West Street Deli
3. Dublin Bay
4. Battles BBQ
5. Little Taipei/ or Cocost

What am I forgetting, and what needs to be bumped for something else? Thanks for the help. (Also since the goal is find the less common places Hickory Park should not get consideration considering it is the favorite 'oh, my parents are in town' restaurant and he will certainly go early on in his time at ISU).

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
It is funny to see the top 5 list from a student perspective versus what I think as the top places living in Ames as an adult.

Reactions: Aclone

Wallacelantz

Dec 30, 2008
It may not be one of the top places to eat but he has to try the rib rolls at west towne pub. Also breakfast at the Grove Cafe(I think thats what it is called)

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Satay House, La Fuente, May House (noodle bowls), Gyro guy,.....so basically anything ethnic I guess. Seems to be my trend.

hansen55

Apr 12, 2006
Avoca, IA
I second Great Plains and I'd add Mayhouse (the best chinese food in Ames!) IMHO. I didn't discover it until my senior year in undergrad.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I second Great Plains and I'd add Mayhouse (the best chinese food in Ames!) IMHO. I didn't discover it until my senior year in undergrad.

Love the Mayhouse. I am yet to have a better noodle bowl. For best asian food, I loved Sukotai but sadly it left after my freshman year. It has changed names about 12 times since then.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It is funny to see the top 5 list from a student perspective versus what I think as the top places living in Ames as an adult.

no kidding. None of those places would even make my top five. But, then again, I am an old man.

For my money, here is the list:

1) Cafe Shi
2) Olde Main
3) The Spice
4) Aunt Maude's
5) Geangelo's

If you want a gyro, try the Flame & Skewer in the mall. Fantastic gyros.
Best Pizza = George's. Great Plains is a close second.
Chinese = House of Chen
Bar & Grill = West Town Pub, Okoboji, or Dublin Bay

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
no kidding. None of those places would even make my top five. But, then again, I am an old man.

For my money, here is the list:

1) Cafe Shi
2) Olde Main
3) The Spice
4) Aunt Maude's
5) Geangelo's

If you want a gyro, try the Flame & Skewer in the mall. Fantastic gyros.

Do they cut it fresh off the meat post? Thats the best way.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
1. Cocost
2. El Azteca
3. Great Plains
4. HP
5. West Cyde Wings (really only on Tuesdays)