Top 25 Ranking streak

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

post-17136-Otter-dunking-gif-6mY9.gif

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Starting lineup of Mason | Graham | Jackson | Bragg | Lucas. Svi, Vick and Azubuike first three off the bench. What five squads are better? I could imagine an argument for us at 4, after Kentucky and Nova, but any lower than that is tough to see. Maybe if you really like Oregon? Duke is the only team that is clearly head-and-shoulders above the others.

Depends on how you look at it. Kansas will have a good back court but starting Bragg and Lucas in the front court is pretty meh in my opinion

crayhons

Mar 6, 2013
An ISU fan on the Reddit thread for the AP Top 25 posted this comment in response to the streak continuing for ISU,
I've been storing up pitchforks and torches all offseason for this moment. What am I supposed to do with them now?

To which I playfully replied,
Save them for the one of the games against Kansas. I'm sure the refs will give us something to be upset about

Apparently that statement is 1) a "jab" at KU 2) unnecessary and out of nowhere 3) shows how we are obsessed with KU. I was talking about the refs when we play against KU, not anything directly towards the Kansas team or university.:rolleyes:

Reactions: bozclone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Bragg should be much better as a sophomore. I thought he showed flashes last year.

I'm sure he'll be better but him and Lucas are not an intimidating front court by any stretch of the imagination, especially when you're comparing them to the best roster in the nation

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Depends on how you look at it. Kansas will have a good back court but starting Bragg and Lucas in the front court is pretty meh in my opinion

Lucas isn't going to wow anyone but he has turned into a really good defender and rebounder. Him getting better last year is what made that team as good as they were. And I think Bragg is going to have a huge year. He reminds me of the Morris twins as far as his game goes. Kid has a huge upside. I think they have a hole though in the backup PF spot. I could see Jackson playing some backup PF.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think we have four guys (Monte, Matt, Naz and Deote) who can go out and get us 20+ on any given night. The trick is going to be in how we keep teams honest inside so they can't just blanket the perimeter (though each of the those guys have shown the ability to get to the hoop off the dribble).

Yep. Just need someone serviceable and consistent down low.

When McKay was effective, it opened up everyone else, and his best offense was a lob 2 feet from the hoop.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I think we have four guys (Monte, Matt, Naz and Deote) who can go out and get us 20+ on any given night. The trick is going to be in how we keep teams honest inside so they can't just blanket the perimeter (though each of the those guys have shown the ability to get to the hoop off the dribble).
I don't know about any given night, but add Donovan Jackson to the list of guys that could put up big numbers if he's hitting.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sounds vaguely familiar. Where have I seen this before?

I didn't think Kansas had one of the top 5 most talented rosters in the country last year either. Kansas has the most talented roster in the Big 12 this year though, assuming Jackson is as good as advertised and I'm sure he is,

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
I didn't think Kansas had one of the top 5 most talented rosters in the country last year either. Kansas has the most talented roster in the Big 12 this year though, assuming Jackson is as good as advertised and I'm sure he is,

Yeah, you liked the Niang/McKay combo better than anything KU had in the frontcourt. Mason/Graham must have completely outplayed Morris/Thomas last year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah, you liked the Niang/McKay combo better than anything KU had in the frontcourt. Mason/Graham must have completely outplayed Morris/Thomas last year.

Well yeah, Niang and an engaged McKay were obviously better than Ellis and whoever they paired with him. I think even KU fans would admit that

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Well yeah, Niang and an engaged McKay were obviously better than Ellis and whoever they paired with him. I think even KU fans would admit that

So the enormous 5 game difference in conference play was the result of KU's superior backcourt?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So the enormous 5 game difference in conference play was the result of KU's superior backcourt?

There are a lot of things that contributed to it. ISU had issues with McKay, wasn't a good defensive team, lacked depth, first year coach, etc. Self is by far the best coach in the conference too

tyreezy

Nov 3, 2014
Lucas isn't going to wow anyone but he has turned into a really good defender and rebounder. Him getting better last year is what made that team as good as they were. And I think Bragg is going to have a huge year. He reminds me of the Morris twins as far as his game goes. Kid has a huge upside. I think they have a hole though in the backup PF spot. I could see Jackson playing some backup PF.

This is the one thing that keeps me up at night. Whenever Bragg isn't on the floor, we're going to be much easier to defend. He has to stay healthy and out of foul trouble. Jackson could probably fill in there reasonably well if Self wanted to go to a small lineup, but that's not something he's shown a whole lot of willingness to do in the past. This roster might force his hand, though.

As a side note, I think you guys are being underrated. Not sure why so many in the media are ignoring everybody in your backcourt not named Morris.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron