Tongamoa Watch

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Focus on what we have right now. We have the pieces in place to have a better Defensive Line than last year. One of the reasons for moving Matt Leo inside is because of Tongamoa's late arrival. Lima is a huge upgrade. Trent and Johnson should be better than last year. We lost Tucker but he was a bit undersized.

My biggest concern is at LB. Lanning definitely needs to be the real deal. And we should still be improved over last year. We lost Seeley and Mills from last year. Secondary should be pretty solid.

Eli said Leo has only repped at end on his latest CFTV interview. Eli also says "when" KT gets here and not if. Said they knew he'd be a late arrival and staff put effort into thinking about the long-term gain from him and not just that he may not be ready for UNI. Staff is saying there are very meaningful snaps to be had late in the year and having him available then is worth it.

Reactions: beentherebefore

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Focus on what we have right now. We have the pieces in place to have a better Defensive Line than last year. One of the reasons for moving Matt Leo inside is because of Tongamoa's late arrival. Lima is a huge upgrade. Trent and Johnson should be better than last year. We lost Tucker but he was a bit undersized.

My biggest concern is at LB. Lanning definitely needs to be the real deal. And we should still be improved over last year. We lost Seeley and Mills from last year. Secondary should be pretty solid.
When did Leo move happen, the interview with DL line coach stated he was playing end. Eyioma is who they moved inside according to the interview he also stated Josh Bailey has made some good strides. I would prefer to be 6 deep here with the way the b12 grind is.

Were the the Mills and Seeley loses really loses? If you remember correctly Mills quit football.... I assume because Sutton and other were jumping a head of him, this was an area I am less worried about as Campbell mentioned this group being the most solid and deep in the sprint... DL for me is where more dinks and dings of the season grind and lack of depth come into play....

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Eli said Leo has only repped at end on his latest CFTV interview. Eli also says "when" KT gets here and not if. Said they knew he'd be a late arrival and staff put effort into thinking about the long-term gain from him and not just that he may not be ready for UNI. Staff is saying there are very meaningful snaps to be had late in the year and having him available then is worth it.

Interesting about Leo. They should change the Depth Chart then since he is listed as DT second team.

Tongamoa does not have a redshirt. So that is not an option whether he is ready or not.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
When did Leo move happen, the interview with DL line coach stated he was playing end. Eyioma is who they moved inside according to the interview he also stated Josh Bailey has made some good strides. I would prefer to be 6 deep here with the way the b12 grind is.

Were the the Mills and Seeley loses really loses? If you remember correctly Mills quit football.... I assume because Sutton and other were jumping a head of him, this was an area I am less worried about as Campbell mentioned this group being the most solid and deep in the sprint... DL for me is where more dinks and dings of the season grind and lack of depth come into play....

Mills graduated and had a great job offer according to Campbell and so he "retired". Younger and better players passing him by was likely a big factor. Harvey is the only LB with any real experience. That is a concern IMO.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
Mills graduated and had a great job offer according to Campbell and so he "retired". Younger and better players passing him by was likely a big factor. Harvey is the only LB with any real experience. That is a concern IMO.
Northup and McMillan had experience

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
There might be a true freshman play DT again. The new rules allow four games to be played without burning redshirt.

Edit the four games proposal sounds like it might not be in effect or passed

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: khardbored

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
There might be a true freshman play DT again. The new rules allow four games to be played without burning redshirt.

Pretty sure that's just a proposal for the NCAA. Not sure that it's even passed, let alone in effect this season.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA

Are you sure? I remember that being talked about but don't remember if it was voted on and implemented. I honestly don't know...

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
Are you sure? I remember that being talked about but don't remember if it was voted on and implemented. I honestly don't know...
No i havent heard anything either but it was just something i was wondering about

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Brandon said:
This has Emmanuel Malou 2.0 written all over it

It's more Lardesque.

Hopefully, that would at least mean we would have him for next year.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
So when are we going to find out that Tongamoa arrived last week and has been practicing with the team since Friday. (no inside info, this staff just seems really good at keeping things quiet sometimes)

• Optimistic
Reactions: amishclone