toddlers at ISU football games ???

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
I'm taking my 2.5 year old son to the game this weekend for his first Cyclone Football game. Any words of wisdom for those who have taken small kids to the football games?

Thanks.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
My 20 month old loved it. Get there in time for pre-game as it wont be as difficult to get to your seat, and he can see the band and hear the music. Also, bring a blanket for them to sit on the concrete floor between your legs if you get tired of holding him up to see, or he gets tired of standing and watching.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I'm taking my 2.5 year old son to the game this weekend for his first Cyclone Football game. Any words of wisdom for those who have taken small kids to the football games?

Thanks.

First of all I was mislead by the title of this thread as I thought it was about Hawk fans :wink:-just kidding, gotta have fun.

Secondly, I would plan on having an out for your son meaning you need to plan on an early departure, or have your spouse/signifigant other ready to take him out if things go bad for him. We have taken my older boy to several games and have some awesome pics, that would be last piece of advice: camera!

jmb

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Yeah his favorite parts will be the band, the hill to role down, Cy the Mascot and many other things. None of wich include the game of football. So don't be mad because he could care less about the game.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
First of all I was mislead by the title of this thread as I thought it was about Hawk fans :wink:-just kidding, gotta have fun.

Secondly, I would plan on having an out for your son meaning you need to plan on an early departure, or have your spouse/signifigant other ready to take him out if things go bad for him. We have taken my older boy to several games and have some awesome pics, that would be last piece of advice: camera!

jmb

It will be a father-son outing...the wife has the other two. Oldest daughter was invited to a birthday party in the afternoon, otherwise it would be a parent's day out.

He's been to basketball games and an I-Cubs game...so hopefully he does as good as he did at those.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Take him down to the NE hill at the end of halftime and stand by the fence to watch the players come out.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
I had a toddler next to me during the Iowa game. My advice, get them their own seat. If that doesn't work, watch their feet. I got kicked more times than I could count because the father wasn't paying attention to where the kid's feet were flying. Works great when you have a broken jaw!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Call me overprotective, but I never let my little dude roll down the hills, unless it was in a totally empty space away from other kids. It always looks like someone is going to break something doing that. Also, dress him warm and bring blankets. As soon as the atmosphere and fun wear off, being cold will end your day early.

Tulsa Cyclone

Nov 21, 2006
Tulsa, OK
Two-minute warning is in effect.

Head for the restrooms with two minutes left in the half and hope you don't miss anything. Since they're at a Football game they might get a drink in a "big cup".

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
We took our 4 year old daughter to 2 games last year and one game this year. We had a sticker activity book last year that worked well. We brought crayons and a coloring book this year. We actually ate at the game which worked well because it gave her something to do. It is amazing how long a hot dog can take at a game. The other thing I would suggest is to be prepared to leave early. Last year in her first game, she made it to the start of the 3rd quarter. The second game we only made it to half. This year we made it to the 4th quarter. We probably would have stayed the whole game but it was a night game.

Funny story about her first game. She saw Stevie playing with his long hair hanging out of his helmet. She said something to the effect that they let girls play football to. We explained that Stevie is a boy with long hair. Now, whenever we are watching football and she sees somone with long hair she asks if it is Stevie.

rahtotheames

Aug 3, 2006
When I started going to games around age 4 I remember that my dad just took me up to the top of Section G and I stood up by the wall. Great memories from watching the band, etc.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Goldfish and Graham crackers. They've kept our 20 month old occupied through probably 20 football games when you figure Dowling soph/Var, ISU, and Wartburg games.

sarcoptic

Sep 6, 2006
Speaking of children at games...it gets old seeing parents who sign their kids up for lil cyclone club and then turn around and have them sit with them after buying 2 season tickets instead of the 3 they should of. I know our row alone has a extra 3 children which causes the seating to be more and more cramped.