To Anyone Who's Mad at Harrison

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
This was his big day, and he, for whatever reason, wanted to share it with the community, I don't see a problem with that. ISU people, especially on this board, bought way to much into the rumors that had no basis in fact and were overly confident that he was coming here.

I agree and believe the Ames community feels the same way. I'm disappointed he didn't choose ISU, but he has to do what's best for his future. He doesn't owe us anything just because ISU happens to be in his hometown.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
You may have a point. Despite going to one of the most high-profile schools, he won't be the BMOC any more. Some people are more comfortable being a supporting actor than the lead role, and all the attention my have solidified that for HB.

If you watched today's production, I don't think there can be any doubt that young Mr. Barnes relishes the attention and spotlight.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Not at all upset or mad at his choice at all. Can not wait to watch him punish Duke. I am a tad upset with the way he went about announcing it; however, I was more upset with the way we played football last week.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I see nothing wrong with wishing UNC nothing but losses. This is no different had he signed there or not.

He made his decision and it was his decision. It's my decision to dislike it and not wish him well at UNC. Why would I EVER wish a school well that beat us in the NCAA tournament and now stole our best bball prospect EVER?

Jan 16, 2009
Ames, IA
Your an idiot, I don't blame him for wanting to go there but they way it was handled was classless and wearing an ISU shirt to school on Wednesday when McDermott's son signed with UNI was misleading and his mother should know better. Good luck to him at UNC hope he doesn't come back to Ames. He will look back on this day when he wants to call Ames home and he won't be welcome back no matter how famous he may become if he makes it big in the pros.

Now you're mad at him for wearing an ISU shirt? The kid can wear whatever he wants. He is a Cyclones fan. It's just a sweatshirt, get over it.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I'm a fan of ISU. Harrison Barnes is a Tarheel; therefore I couldn't care less about him. He's one player and may or may not become great at the college level and beyond.

I will say this though. Watching the whole spectacle streaming on the web, I couldn't help but think how this sort of circus and intense focus on one person who most fans don't even know really epitomizes what's wrong with recruiting and college sports in general. For all I've heard of HB being so humble, he certainly seemed to be reveling in all the attention and playing it for all it was worth, and has been doing so for quite awhile. The capper of course was the ridiculous ending to the whole thing where Roid Williams is put up on the big screen and pretends to be so surprised! Nauseating...

ISU hoops will be fine. After watching the boys tonight, I'm absolutely psyched for the rest of the season. It could be a very special one.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Nope. ISU has been an afterthought for quite a while.

Exactly right. The only reason we remained on his list was so he could take full advantage of our facilities, working out with our players, and attend our games and sit right in front.

Do you think he would have been invited to do all that if he withdrew us from consideration a year ago? NOT. The kid is smart and he played us like fools. Congrats Harrison... you win. Hope you're happy. You handled this very poorly. Someday you will grow up and realize it... someday.

Jan 16, 2009
Ames, IA
Exactly right. The only reason we remained on his list was so he could take full advantage of our facilities, working out with our players, and attend our games and sit right in front.

Do you think he would have been invited to do all that if he withdrew us from consideration a year ago? NOT. The kid is smart and he played us like fools. Congrats Harrison... you win. Hope you're happy. You handled this very poorly. Someday you will grow up and realize it... someday.

Stop whining. Anyone complaining like this is being a baby. He didn't use Iowa State. Do you really think other top recruits didn't do this exact same thing? He's not required to go to Iowa State just because he lives here.

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
Excuse him for wanting to play for the team that just won a national championship. You shouldn't be bashing him for not choosing Iowa State, it's his decision...not yours.

Also a lot of you are sort of being sore losers. Calling him immature for picking UNC in front of Cyclone fans is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Since when does having the press conference at his school mean he's going to Iowa State? It's not like he was going to fly out to Chapel Hill to announce his decision.

All I'm saying is you should be proud that someone from Ames is getting the opportunity to play for one of the most elite teams in the country. Iowa State is going to be good this year and McDermott will be fine down the road. It's not the end of the world.

As many have already said, it's not who he picked, it's not where he did it. It's how he did it. When you invite all these cyclone fans to come out only to kick them in the nuts. That's what I believe he did wrong. He knew that opening it up to the public was going to mean a lot of Iowa State fans were going to come, it is in there back yard. He should have been the bigger person and had his classmates, family, friends, and the press come. He didn't need the public(cyclone fans there). He used us and made fools of us. He had to know that it was going to get our hopes up when we found out that he was wanting to make it a big party and that the party was going to be full of cyclone fans. It is absolutely no different than you and your girlfriend talking about it being time to get married, you show up one romantic evening with a little box, she gets her hopes up thinking that it's finally a ring and then when she opens it, it's empty, she's crushed just like we were. Again no problem with where he chose to go, no problem with him doing is conference in ames. Just don't invite cyclone fans and allow them to get their hopes up when you know you're not choosing us. I think he's a very smart kid and a very nice kid but this was blatantly the wrong move.

Jan 16, 2009
Ames, IA
I think you're taking this the wrong way. He didn't invite the public so he could make fools of us. He invited the public because he thought his community would support him. Apparently he was wrong which is really sad.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I think you're taking this the wrong way. He didn't invite the public so he could make fools of us. He invited the public because he thought his community would support him. Apparently he was wrong which is really sad.

You know what is part of "his community"? It starts with Iowa and ends with University. Inviting the community IS inviting the people of the university. To think otherwise is just plain foolish. Whether it was good or bad is irrelevant. It WAS foolish.

Jan 16, 2009
Ames, IA
Most people that go to class with him and see him every day are very proud of him and respect his decision.

On the other hand people that have seen him play once or just heard about him are really upset and angry.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Stop whining. Anyone complaining like this is being a baby. He didn't use Iowa State. Do you really think other top recruits didn't do this exact same thing? He's not required to go to Iowa State just because he lives here.

no, he's certainly not. but because he lives here, and because of all we have done for him, he IS required to not go about things in a way that is a real kick in the sack for cyclone fans, and not to just use us.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever realize it. He's a user. And he probably learned the skill well from someone who raised him and taught him to be a user.

I think that the basketball program should schedule a Ron Harris appreciation day and invite Ron back and give him the red carpet treatment. At least Ron chose ISU.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Most people that go to class with him and see him every day are very proud of him and respect his decision.

On the other hand people that have seen him play once or just heard about him are really upset and angry.

No, fans of ISU are hurt and upset cause we just got punked by the big boys AGAIN.

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006

Well when he invited the public, which by the way is going to be in majority cyclone fans, he had to know what response that was going to get. If he didn't then he's an idiot. Again I'm fine with him going to UNC but don't invite the ugly girl(ISU) who you know has a major crush on you to the dance just so she can see you run off with the home coming queen.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I wonder if we will see an apology from Harrison about how this whole thing went down. I know that would help many of us forget about what happened on this Friday the 13th. That was one waste of an afternoon I wish I could have back. I had almost got over my dislike for Roy Williams, but no, he's back! All is not lost though. We have hope this year and some pretty good recruits on the way (just need a PF to take Brackins' place). Go Clones!

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
You know what is part of "his community"? It starts with Iowa and ends with University. Inviting the community IS inviting the people of the university. To think otherwise is just plain foolish. Whether it was good or bad is irrelevant. It WAS foolish.

Well said. If anyone thinks the Ames community exists for any reason besides the University, they're foolish. It's one and the same.