TJ best coach we have ever had?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Larry had Curtis Stinson and Blaylock coming in. I think their freshman year would have been better if he was coaching

Just as likely he was a total psychopath and ran them off.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Overall…. if you’re including personality, demeanor, and just everything across the board…. I would say TJ is the best.

If you’re just looking at X’s and O’s only…. I’d give it to LE.

Orr may have done the most for putting the program on the map, but IMO wasn’t the best coach. Hoiberg probably had the most exciting teams to watch from just a pure entertainment value.

BeastCY

Mar 18, 2016
Iowa
www.ToDoCentralIowa.com
TJ is the best. He didn't come in with high talent on the team like Hoiberg left it for Prohm. Hoiberg, was good, but not great. Johnny, was Johnny, but as far as coaching, not TJ. And Larry...... well, he had some high level talent. Give him credit, but TJ still wins!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So far it seems like TJ's version program is the most sustainable even in the NIL era.

It was mentioned last night (I had never heard this) that Haliburton played a big role in the recruitment of Milan. So long as Milan has a good experience, along with many others, that word gets around to keep a pipeline of guys that want to work hard for those around them. Imo that's super underrated.

Reactions: CycloneVet

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Would have been interesting if LE didn't have his other issues what he could have accomplished
He was the only coach ISU had that actually assembled a roster that could win it all and was underseeded in the tourney as a 2.

Like this team..They are better than the previous 2 TJ teams offensively. I know its like say they are the tallest dwarf, but they do have guys who can hit shots more consistently than in the past.

Its hard to compare because the transfer portal can help for a rapid rebuild, though at the same time it can torpedo you with an unexpected transfer
Larry inherited Fizer, Shirley, Rancik and Stevie. So I'd say to this point he's accomplished more but pissed away a fantastic opportunity.

Speaking of stupid moves. Brandon Hawkins, wasn't guaranteed he'd be "the man" so he played 2 years for a crappy San Jose team. Could of been the missing guard along with Sullivan, Power, Shirley and Rancik.

Reactions: Acer88

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Overall…. if you’re including personality, demeanor, and just everything across the board…. I would say TJ is the best.

If you’re just looking at X’s and O’s only…. I’d give it to LE.

Orr may have done the most for putting the program on the map, but IMO wasn’t the best coach. Hoiberg probably had the most exciting teams to watch from just a pure entertainment value.

I'd give this nod to Fred. He seemed to very often have some sort of set or mismatch type of situation to pull out to get a bucket.

Larry seemed to have the foundation of playing hard nosed but I don't recall anything out of him from a strategic standpoint that was crazy. Everything's easier with two All-Americans and a bunch of guys that are all-conference worthy.

Reactions: CycloneErik

GrayerClone

Feb 11, 2010
Central Iowa
TJ is excellent. Larry so far has to be the best but he had his baggage took him down. For the highs he brought us the lows were there too towards the end.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The emotional swings on this board are intoxicating. Last night it was TJ doesn’t make adjustments, TJ can’t coach offense, TJ needs to sacrifice defense for offense, and more. Today he might be the best coach in Iowa State history. Saturday he could be the worst again!

What's wrong with or not totally realistic about changing everything the team has done for 40 minutes of ball that has gotten them to 23-6 (now 24-6) over the last 3 months?

• Haha
Reactions: ClubCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Very possible, Curtis in particular was of the Stinson mode. Tough as nails. Probably wouldn’t have been intimidated

In his interview earlier with CW he talked about how him and Stinson probably would have butted heads but they also would have had a good relationship and some success together as well similar to Tinsley.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
In his interview earlier with CW he talked about how him and Stinson probably would have butted heads but they also would have had a good relationship and some success together as well similar to Tinsley.

I corrected post, I meant to compare to Tinsley

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Very possible, Curtis in particular was of the Tinsley mold Tough as nails. Probably wouldn’t have been intimidated

We all said the same thing about Ricky Morgan.

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
First 3 seasons: Larry 72 wins, Floyd 69 wins, TJ 65 wins and counting, Fred 62 wins. Larry and Floyd fell off after their first 3 seasons, Fred kept winning but left 2 years later. If TJ can make the tourney the next 2 seasons, I think he would have to be considered the best at that point.

Meanwhile, Coach Steven Prohm just got curb-stomped by a bad MO State team 60-35. And people thought our offense was bad. Steven just re-joined the 20 loss club. Just looked it up that he coached here for 6 seasons, hard to believe he was here that long.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
And there’s no last night without Orr. We take Hilton Magic for granted, but it doesn’t exist if he didn’t build it. And it took a person that likes the limelight to get us to buy into it.
That doesn't mean Orr is a better coach, though. More important, sure, but not necessarily better.

• Agree
Reactions: CapnCy and ISUKyro

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
First 3 seasons: Larry 72 wins, Floyd 69 wins, TJ 65 wins and counting, Fred 62 wins. Larry and Floyd fell off after their first 3 seasons, Fred kept winning but left 2 years later. If TJ can make the tourney the next 2 seasons, I think he would have to be considered the best at that point.

Meanwhile, Coach Steven Prohm just got curb-stomped by a bad MO State team 60-35. And people thought our offense was bad. Steven just re-joined the 20 loss club. Just looked it up that he coached here for 6 seasons, hard to believe he was here that long.
A 14 point first half........... ouch

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
All I know is that TJ's first three years could have hardly gone better in my wildest dreams. He clearly has a vision for what this program should be, and brought in the staff and the players to make it happen. In ten years (or maybe even less), I would not be surprised if this question is no contest in TJ's favor.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Probably because after the first couple years with the holdovers from the Hoiberg era, so much of it was forgettable. And the last bit was buried under the covid season and everyone kinda checked out. We didn't even have individual game threads that last season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron