Tips for Chicago

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Tips for Chicago: Safety

While we drove through Nebraska on the return from Denver, I decided to do something worthwhile (and to pass the time in that abominable state). So, I wrote down my personal tips about Chicago. Note that these are my “personal†tips in various categories. I make no claim to being complete, accurate, or current, but as someone from Chicago who moved to Ames 12 years ago and who loves going back, I thought it would be good to share a few things with my fellow Fanatics.

Safety:

· Maps. Use maps mostly in private. Don’t stand on the street looking cluelessly at a map. It is one thing to use the map in public knowingly (even Chicagoans use maps occasionally), but if you look like you are clueless, you are just attracting attention from those who might want to take advantage of you. Go inside a building if you have no idea where you are and figure it out in private.

· Pickpockets. There are a few things that you can do to protect yourself from pickpockets. Don’t carry a purse. They are easy to snatch or reach into. If you need a purse, use a long strap and carry it in front of you. Wear pants with a button for the back pocket or keep your wallet in your front pocket. Beware of the “double bump†in which someone bumps into you from the front and then makes a big deal of the apology while touching you to distract you from the other person who may have bumped you from behind and taken your wallet.

· Hand-in-Pocket. If you have some reason to be afraid, keep one hand in your pocket and move it around. It makes people around you wonder if you have a weapon and increases the odds that they will leave you alone. A variation is to hold your keys with one key sticking between your middle and fourth finger in order to have a make-shift version of brass knuckles that include a scraping and gouging feature. Seriously.

· The Projects. The Cabrini-Green and Robert Taylor Homes were high-rise subsidized rent apartments and the 1960s solution to poverty. The “Good Times†TV show was based in Cabrini-Green which was just west of the River North area and the Robert Taylor ones along the Dan Ryan expressway by Sox Park have all been torn down. These were some of the areas that most Iowans would feel the most scared. Well, there are very few “projects†anymore. Rather, they use “scattered site†housing and spread the subsidized rent apartments all over town.

· Cops. There will be cops most everywhere. Downtown Chicago is as safe now as it has ever been. Most of the trouble is out in the neighborhoods. And Chicagoans are nice people. If you are in trouble, there will probably be a cop or a Good Samaritan around to help you. There is no need to be afraid of the city.

· Mace and a Whistle. It is a good idea, especially if you will be alone at night to carry a small bottle of mace and whistle. The mace will incapacitate anyone who gives you trouble. And the whistle will help you draw attention of cops and Good Samaritans.

· Parking Lots. Be extra alert in parking lots, especially parking garages when no one else seems to be around.

· Don’t Be Foolish. Don’t pull out a wad of cash in public. Don’t wave your open purse around. Don’t ask a black person if you can touch their hair. Don’t invite a homeless person to your hotel lobby to give them the leftovers in your fridge. Don’t leave your phone in your car. Don’t drive into a neighborhood off the main streets.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I guess the mods wanted this all in one thread.

I thought they would generate quite different conversations, so I started them as separate threads:

1. My Favorites, Downtown Restaurants, Other Restaurant Areas.
2. Cyclone Gamewatches, Sports-Related, Tickets.
3. Transportation, Driving, Parking.
4. Architecture/Engineering, Musuems, Universities, Churches, Other Sites.
5. Safety.

Oh well, hope some CFers can benefit from my tips. Writing them certainly helped pass the time in Nebraska on Sunday.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I guess the mods wanted this all in one thread.

I thought they would generate quite different conversations, so I started them as separate threads:

1. My Favorites, Downtown Restaurants, Other Restaurant Areas.
2. Cyclone Gamewatches, Sports-Related, Tickets.
3. Transportation, Driving, Parking.
4. Architecture/Engineering, Musuems, Universities, Churches, Other Sites.
5. Safety.

Oh well, hope some CFers can benefit from my tips. Writing them certainly helped pass the time in Nebraska on Sunday.

Appreciate the detail!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Re: Tips for Chicago: Transportation, Driving, Parking

Great write ups! Thank you!

For parking, do you know of any lots you recommend around River North?
I've also found some websites that allow you to purchase in advance, but most of them are still $40-50/day.

I know it's not DM, but man I did not remember parking being that high.

There will be several surface lots on the west side of River North that will be in the $20/day range. Sometimes you can get a great "early bird" rate in the more expensive lots, but they probably won't have in & outs and you will probably need to move your car before the evening crowd arrives.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Re: Tips for Chicago: Gamewatches, Sports-related, Tickets

While we drove through Nebraska on the return from Denver, I decided to do something worthwhile (and to pass the time in that abominable state). So, I wrote down my personal tips about Chicago. Note that these are my “personal” tips in various categories. I make no claim to being complete, accurate, or current, but as someone from Chicago who moved to Ames 12 years ago and who loves going back, I thought it would be good to share a few things with my fellow Fanatics.

Cyclone Gamewatch Locations:

· Murphy’s Bleachers. The ISU Alumni site lists Murphy’s Bleachers as the official gamewatch location. This place is literally across the street from the bleachers of Wrigley Field. Take the CTA train north from downtown, get off on Addison, go around the corner and down the block and you are there.
· Corcorans. For years, I heard that more fans watched games here than at Fizz, but have never been there myself. Now they only list Michigan State on their site. It is on Wells at the north end of River North.
· Fizz. I’ve been to gamewatches here, but don’t know if they still have them. Good folks who opened early on Thanksgiving weekend when we had an early game. They are a mile or so west of Wrigley Field.
· Best Website Ever. http://www.chibarproject.com/Features/College/ChicagoCollegeBars.html. Too bad it is not up-to-date.

I now see that we have "fan gathering locations" near the United Center at:

Park Tavern, 1645 W. Jackson
West End Bar & Grill, 1326 W. Madison

Gamewatches at:

Murphy's Bleachers (behind the Wrigley Field bleachers on the north side)
Bulldog Alehouse in New Lenox, IL (out near Joliet)

Lunch and Spirit Rally at Navy Pier on Friday. Opens at 11am, program at 1pm.

Here is the "Tournament Central" link:

http://03d4631.netsolhost.com/sites/mbbncaa/?DB_OEM_ID=10700

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Hey Cycsk, have you ever been to Lou Mitchell's Diner? Thinking about going there for lunch on Friday since it's near Union Station.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hey Cycsk, have you ever been to Lou Mitchell's Diner? Thinking about going there for lunch on Friday since it's near Union Station.

Nope. I mostly used Northwestern Station and didn't eat very often near there. My guess is that it is a commuter spot since so many move in/out of that area. May not be good for a relaxed, long dining experience. They will probably move you along, unless it is more of an upper-end place.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
More travel options:

Megabus runs from Des Moines to Iowa City to Chicago (next to Union Station) which is just west of the Downtown Loop. It may be a great, cheap option for getting to/from Chicago.

Amtrak runs from Oceola to Chicago's Union Station.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Re: Tips for Chicago: Safety

While we drove through Nebraska on the return from Denver, I decided to do something worthwhile (and to pass the time in that abominable state). So, I wrote down my personal tips about Chicago. Note that these are my “personal” tips in various categories. I make no claim to being complete, accurate, or current, but as someone from Chicago who moved to Ames 12 years ago and who loves going back, I thought it would be good to share a few things with my fellow Fanatics.

Safety:

· Maps. Use maps mostly in private. Don’t stand on the street looking cluelessly at a map. It is one thing to use the map in public knowingly (even Chicagoans use maps occasionally), but if you look like you are clueless, you are just attracting attention from those who might want to take advantage of you. Go inside a building if you have no idea where you are and figure it out in private.

· Pickpockets. There are a few things that you can do to protect yourself from pickpockets. Don’t carry a purse. They are easy to snatch or reach into. If you need a purse, use a long strap and carry it in front of you. Wear pants with a button for the back pocket or keep your wallet in your front pocket. Beware of the “double bump” in which someone bumps into you from the front and then makes a big deal of the apology while touching you to distract you from the other person who may have bumped you from behind and taken your wallet.

· Hand-in-Pocket. If you have some reason to be afraid, keep one hand in your pocket and move it around. It makes people around you wonder if you have a weapon and increases the odds that they will leave you alone. A variation is to hold your keys with one key sticking between your middle and fourth finger in order to have a make-shift version of brass knuckles that include a scraping and gouging feature. Seriously.

· The Projects. The Cabrini-Green and Robert Taylor Homes were high-rise subsidized rent apartments and the 1960s solution to poverty. The “Good Times” TV show was based in Cabrini-Green which was just west of the River North area and the Robert Taylor ones along the Dan Ryan expressway by Sox Park have all been torn down. These were some of the areas that most Iowans would feel the most scared. Well, there are very few “projects” anymore. Rather, they use “scattered site” housing and spread the subsidized rent apartments all over town.

· Cops. There will be cops most everywhere. Downtown Chicago is as safe now as it has ever been. Most of the trouble is out in the neighborhoods. And Chicagoans are nice people. If you are in trouble, there will probably be a cop or a Good Samaritan around to help you. There is no need to be afraid of the city.

· Mace and a Whistle. It is a good idea, especially if you will be alone at night to carry a small bottle of mace and whistle. The mace will incapacitate anyone who gives you trouble. And the whistle will help you draw attention of cops and Good Samaritans.

· Parking Lots. Be extra alert in parking lots, especially parking garages when no one else seems to be around.

· Don’t Be Foolish. Don’t pull out a wad of cash in public. Don’t wave your open purse around. Don’t ask a black person if you can touch their hair. Don’t invite a homeless person to your hotel lobby to give them the leftovers in your fridge. Don’t leave your phone in your car. Don’t drive into a neighborhood off the main streets.

I feel like this is good advice if it was 1986. wtf walk around downtown chicago, 80% of people are staring at their phones. no one gives a **** if you're looking at a map.

Reactions: Farnsworth

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Re: Tips for Chicago: Gamewatches, Sports-related, Tickets

Tickets:

· Stub Hub Hotels. If you are rolling the dice to buy tickets through Stub Hub at the last minute, there will likely be a hotel somewhere downtown where you can pick up the tickets you buy online. Just hang out in the lobby until you get the price you want.

· Scalpers. It has been 15 years since I’ve bought tickets from scalpers near the United Center, but they are sure to be there. These guys will be pros (much better at their craft than the guys at Hilton or Jack Trice). Don’t think you are going to outsmart them or show them up. These guys are making enough money and have enough ego that they are the ones who might tear up a ticket in front of you (and in front of their colleagues). Just tell them what you are willing to pay and let them know where you will be if they want to sell it.

Stub Hub's "Last Minute Services" drop-off and pick-up location is not in a hotel. It will be their office at 946 W. Randolph. This is on the west side of the river about halfway between the CF hotel on Michigan Avenue and the United Center (which is about 10 blocks west and two half blocks south of the Stub Hub location).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Re: Tips for Chicago: Safety

I feel like this is good advice if it was 1986. wtf walk around downtown chicago, 80% of people are staring at their phones. no one gives a **** if you're looking at a map.

I know that most people are using phones these days. But have you looked at our lower level section? What is the average age of a Director's Level donor?

I'm giving advice for all sorts of people. Anyway, the same thing applies to your phone. If you are walking "cluelessly" with your phone map, you are announcing your vulnerability. Step inside somewhere to look in private at your phone's map in order to know where you are going.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I am planning on driving in Friday morning, attending the game, and driving back that night. I will not be staying in a hotel. Where would be the best place for me to park? I don't have a problem taking some public transit to get to the United Center.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron