Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
How far into next season before the media lose interest in Iowa women's basketball.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Second game. First game coverage will be "How will Iowa do without the great CC". Second game is, "they are still playing?"

Third game might be…. how can we entice people to come to these games again? Free beer?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The crowd was a much more family friendly environment for the women's game than the men's. I don't know if this is the case now, but it used to be. Of course this was before we had any Joens parents in the crowd.

Still is. Being Cyclones there is still booing but way less swearing

Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Great point! If you didn’t grow up being an ISU fan, you have no clue. Getting harassed in middle school for wearing ISU stuff wasn’t fun. Even the teachers would give you crap. Talk about d-bags. It’s one thing if immature kids do it, but grown adults?

I still don’t wear any of my Cyclone stuff to work for the most part…. it isn’t worth all the crap people throw your way.

So sue me if I don’t jump on the CC and Iowa WBB bandwagon like CW has. Screw ‘em. I know if they win a title it will be 10x worse than it already is. F that!

Yep I'm a Huskies fan tonight

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I think this is related to this thread:

They turned off the comments. Safe to say this wasn't their best business strategy. Absolutely pathetic for an Ames establishment that's only popularity is tied to the Cyclones to be posting something like this.

I can't wait for them to lose. The state needs it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have no real idea. But I will say there’s a difference between growing up an Iowa State fan and not. He didn’t grow up as an Iowa State fan. When I was young you’d get teased at school for wearing Iowa State shirts. The whole “everyone should cheer for Iowa” line of thinking was in full force. People say we act like little brother but it’s because we’ve been treated as a little brother in this state by Iowa fans and more importantly by 95% of the media in this state. One example of this is the two shows CW has done with Iowa fans. In both of those, I feel like Chris has done his best to be fair to both sides. He’d watch Iowa State games and Iowa games. On the other hand, Ross admitted that he didn’t watch Iowa State. And Hassel only watches some of the time. That’s infuriating.

That weird bullying thing is still very much alive and strong.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think this is related to this thread:

They turned off the comments. Safe to say this wasn't their best business strategy. Absolutely pathetic for an Ames establishment that's only popularity is tied to the Cyclones to be posting something like this.

I can't wait for them to lose. The state needs it.

If they just would have said…. “…. come cheer on UConn!”…. then they would have been on to something.

If I’m a true Cyclone…. no way I’m going to that place tonight. It will be full of Hawk fans.

Reactions: CyNews and Cytown12

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If they just would have said…. “…. come cheer on UConn!”…. then they would have been on to something.

If I’m a true Cyclone…. no way I’m going to that place tonight. It will be full of Hawk fans.

Or just supporting women's bball on the whole after ISU had their nice season by watching the Final Four with no teams mentioned.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's a part of many Hawkeyes fans personalities at any age. It's one of the things I enjoy most about living out of state. I don't run into any tavern hoks.

Most out of state Iowa games I run into are pretty realistic and not disparaging of ISU all that much.

It's weird how that changes locally.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Or just supporting women's bball on the whole after ISU had their nice season by watching the Final Four with no teams mentioned.

I’d be more likely to be interested in Clark if it wasn’t shoved down my throat at every turn.

Up until the Sweet 16 there were 2 teams in this state who were ranked in the top 10, finished 2nd in their conference, and won their conference tournament. Did 13 send Keith Murphy to any of our games? Did we get a 30 minute special on KCCI?

Clark deserves a lot of attention. But I will be happy when it’s over.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
How far into next season before the media lose interest in Iowa women's basketball.
The media interest is in Clark not Iowa Women’s Basketball. As soon as her season is done the media will focus on what’s next for her which might be the Olympics, WNBA, ICE cubes dreams, etc. I’ve listened to how Soccer will be the next big thing in the US sports arena and it hasn’t happened and never will, too boring low scoring. Same way with the WNBA until they can dunk it, it’s kinda like DII & DIII men’s sports. Not as athletic so isn’t considered top tier.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

If Iowa is just average and ISU is top ten it'll get almost zero coverage.

Yesterday Fales was talking about how awesome it is that Garza gets to come back and play a preseason game in Des Moines and how its's gonna be Garza-palooza insanity. He's local even though he grew up on the east coast. Four year ISU starter Monte Morris somehow isn't local and you'd never even know he's on the same team.

Even in a bench role Monte has already produced more in a quarter season for the TWolves than Garza has in his entire career. He's an all time leader in all sorts of ISU and Big 12 stats.

Local media is Hawkeye media...that's why this site has 100x more activity than any Iowa board ever has or will have.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If Iowa is just average and ISU is top ten it'll get almost zero coverage.

Yesterday Fales was talking about how awesome it is that Garza gets to come back and play a preseason game in Des Moines and how its's gonna be Garza-palooza insanity. He's local even though he grew up on the east coast. Four year ISU starter Monte Morris somehow isn't local and you'd never even know he's on the same team.

Even in a bench role Monte has already produced more in a quarter season for the TWolves than Garza has in his entire career. He's an all time leader in all sorts of ISU and Big 12 stats.

Local media is Hawkeye media...that's why this site has 100x more activity than any Iowa board ever has or will have.

Montes mom isn’t paying for the air time

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
I’d be more likely to be interested in Clark if it wasn’t shoved down my throat at every turn.

Up until the Sweet 16 there were 2 teams in this state who were ranked in the top 10, finished 2nd in their conference, and won their conference tournament. Did 13 send Keith Murphy to any of our games? Did we get a 30 minute special on KCCI?

Clark deserves a lot of attention. But I will be happy when it’s over.
‘Murph’s’ recent work from Albany and Cleveland has been cringeworthy. ‘Print’ reporters have a harder job than he does.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
‘Murph’s’ recent work from Albany and Cleveland has been cringeworthy. ‘Print’ reporters have a harder job than he does.

When it comes to covering famous female athletes from this state in general Murph's work has been cringeworthy. I didn't think anything would ever be as bad as his Shawn Johnson coverage but damn if this isnt giving it a run for its money.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Does Murph show up on any sex offender lists in Iowa?

Does Murph show up on any sex offender lists in Iowa?
It seems to me there are ways to defend Clark. The step-back is a problem if you don't see it coming. But sticking with her,picking her up at half court, denying the ball at times and just hounding her would be good. Her passing is a problem but stick on her teammates. Play tough. Coach Geno knows all this and more but,good grief, put a clamp on her.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump and NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron