Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
LOL I used to feel the same way - then I moved outside of Iowa for the first time when I was 23! Holy *bleep!* Anyone who has never *lived* outside of Iowa has *no* idea the sheer amount and *level* of disrespect this entire state gets on a regular basis outside its borders (and no, you can't say, "I've visited," or even "I lived one semester/one year outside of the state." Visiting and/or short stints away from the state exposes you to *very little* of it! Only once you've lived away from the state for *several years* does the sheer size and scale of the disrespect dawn on you! My immediate family - mom, dad, and sister - are the only members of my family who live in Iowa, and *multiple times a year,* we'd go visit family outside of Iowa - mainly because they *very rarely* wanted to come visit *us.* That *alone* was a clue, and I received *several other* clues every time I visited and even studied abroad for a semester. But when I finally graduated from Iowa State and moved out of the state permanently for the first time - wow! Do people feel no shame? Sheesh)!

And maybe you have and still feel the same - I can understand that. But for me, after living nearly a decade outside of the state, it's nearly impossible for me *not* to want my state (and any and all entities in it) to shatter any and all stereotypes of this state *every* chance we get! Caitlin Clark is *certainly* doing that right now - and I've used this opportunity to basically tell everyone, "Oh, Caitlin Clark is not an outlier! This is *normal!* My home town and its university - a town called *Ames, IA,* population 70,000 - has produced 20 Olympians, 15 Olympic medalists, and *8* Olympic Gold Medalists! If we were the size of New York (8.62 million people), we'd have produced ~2200 Olympic athletes and ~890 Gold Medalists (not sure about total Olympians all-time, but the *entire* state of New York has produced 261 Olympic gold medalists *total!* And no, they're not "all from NYC." This last Olympics, the state of NY sent 27 total athletes, but only 13 were from the NYC area https://swimswam.com/the-golden-states-which-u-s-states-are-home-to-the-most-olympic-medalists/)!

And for much bigger cities, like Des Moines (i.e., where Caitlin Clark comes from), entire Wikipedia pages are needed for all the notable people that come from there - which isn't uncommon. But yes, given that Des Moines' population is <212,000, and NYC's is ~8.62 million (~43 times the size of Des Moines), Des Moines *indeed* produces a disproportionate amount of talent!

Anyway, my point being, yes, the rivalry still indeed matters to me. I still feel so *so* happy whenever we beat Iowa and lift the Cy-Hawk trophy! I love trash talking my Hawkeye friends on social media. And yes, whenever I run into a Hawkeye alum outside the state (all *two* times it's happened XD), we definitely have some friendly trash talk - unlike the one time I met a UNI alum and there was *no* trash talk (I just saw his UNI shirt and I asked, "Wow! Did you go to UNI?" When he said, "Yeah," I said, "I went to Iowa State. I grew up in Ames." We are now social media friends)! But (in addition to the fact that I still feel pretty excited when I meet someone from *any* major Iowa university outside the state - because it happens *so rarely*) it's become impossible for me not to see any player or entity from Iowa shattering stereotypes or achieving success and for me *not* to say, "Yes, show them! Show everyone how wrong they are about our *entire* state! Make them feel absolutely embarrassed they ever disrespected our state!"
This post seems unhinged.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Knowing how to pronounce Van Lith, who has been one of the biggest stars in the sport, involved in the most high profile transfer of the year, and playing for the defending national champion, doesn't require loads of homework. It was just a giveaway that he watches the ISU women and Caitlin Clark. But all this posturing about how the LSU/Iowa game is his most anticipated sporting event ever is just lip service hyperbole about womens basketball because it's the cool thing to say right now. He's busy, I get it.
Needs to be accurate,for crying out loud.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
He's no Iowa fan. Does he have an unhealthy obsession and borderline creepy enjoyment out of following women's college basketball all of a sudden? No doubt about it. Oftentimes I wonder if he'd choose ISU women's season tickets over men's if he ever had to actually pay to get into Hilton. Similar to the uneasy feeling I get seeing all the grown men wearing CC jerseys on tv.

I don't mind listening to 2GNC to get my local sports/entertainment fix but after it's over I seriously want to punch someone the next time I hear anyone describe something as "fascinating." CW uses that incessantly (it comes across as a crutch of some sort) and it's beyond annoying.

Meh If you just want to support ISU BB, the WBB program is the low cost alternative you can take the whole family and have better seating for the entire season for about the cost of 1 men's ticket for the season of similar seating after you add on the donor level donation needed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Meh If you just want to support ISU BB, the WBB program is the low cost alternative you can take the whole family and have better seating for the entire season for about the cost of 1 men's ticket for the season of similar seating after you add on the donor level donation needed.
The crowd was a much more family friendly environment for the women's game than the men's. I don't know if this is the case now, but it used to be. Of course this was before we had any Joens parents in the crowd.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He's no Iowa fan. Does he have an unhealthy obsession and borderline creepy enjoyment out of following women's college basketball all of a sudden? No doubt about it. Oftentimes I wonder if he'd choose ISU women's season tickets over men's if he ever had to actually pay to get into Hilton. Similar to the uneasy feeling I get seeing all the grown men wearing CC jerseys on tv.

I don't mind listening to 2GNC to get my local sports/entertainment fix but after it's over I seriously want to punch someone the next time I hear anyone describe something as "fascinating." CW uses that incessantly (it comes across as a crutch of some sort) and it's beyond annoying.

I have no real idea. But I will say there’s a difference between growing up an Iowa State fan and not. He didn’t grow up as an Iowa State fan. When I was young you’d get teased at school for wearing Iowa State shirts. The whole “everyone should cheer for Iowa” line of thinking was in full force. People say we act like little brother but it’s because we’ve been treated as a little brother in this state by Iowa fans and more importantly by 95% of the media in this state. One example of this is the two shows CW has done with Iowa fans. In both of those, I feel like Chris has done his best to be fair to both sides. He’d watch Iowa State games and Iowa games. On the other hand, Ross admitted that he didn’t watch Iowa State. And Hassel only watches some of the time. That’s infuriating.

Last edited:

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

"Fascinating" and referring to any topic/situation as a "deal" drives me nuts, but I guess that's the price you pay to listen to a podcast with regularity.

The title of the CW Pod should be: "That whole deal is fascinating"

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have no real idea. But I will say there’s a difference between growing up an Iowa State fan and not. He didn’t grow up as an Iowa State fan. When I was young you’d get teased at school for wearing Iowa State shirts. The whole “everyone should cheer for Iowa” line of thinking was in full force. People say we act like little brother but it’s because we’ve been treated as a little brother in this state by Iowa fans and more importantly by 95% of the media in this state. One example of this is the two shows CW has done with Iowa fans. In both of those, I feel like Chris has done his best to be fair to both sides. He’d watch Iowa State games and Iowa games. On the other hand, Ross admitted that he didn’t watch Iowa State. And Hassel only watches some of the time. That’s infuriating.

Great point! If you didn’t grow up being an ISU fan, you have no clue. Getting harassed in middle school for wearing ISU stuff wasn’t fun. Even the teachers would give you crap. Talk about d-bags. It’s one thing if immature kids do it, but grown adults?

I still don’t wear any of my Cyclone stuff to work for the most part…. it isn’t worth all the crap people throw your way.

So sue me if I don’t jump on the CC and Iowa WBB bandwagon like CW has. Screw ‘em. I know if they win a title it will be 10x worse than it already is. F that!

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
"Fascinating" and referring to any topic/situation as a "deal" drives me nuts, but I guess that's the price you pay to listen to a podcast with regularity.

The title of the CW Pod should be: "That whole deal is fascinating"
I wish I could give you a laugh, agree, and like all on one post.

Like you said, if you listen to any podcaster, radio personality, or tv personality with regularity you start to nitpick how they pronounce words, how they breathe, how they speak, ect. That’s why I don’t listen to everything every week. That goes for all podcasts I listen to not just IE or CF.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron