Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
As a whole, I wonder how CC and her legacy will affect Iowa. Will it turn Iowa into a blueblood bringing in top talent? Will CHA be a nightly sellout going forward? If Bluder can't harness what CC has brought to the program, wonder how fans will view things in a few years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
As a whole, I wonder how CC and her legacy will affect Iowa. Will it turn Iowa into a blueblood bringing in top talent? Will CHA be a nightly sellout going forward? If Bluder can't harness what CC has brought to the program, wonder how fans will view things in a few years.
If they want to become a blue blood, the first step is winning a natty.

Reactions: mj4cy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm voting for a high water mark similar to what ISU had in the late 90s early 2000s with Bill. But only time will tell. We still have a solid program but it is off of its highs for both actual attendance and going further in the tournament. I'm still good with the program though and it's something fun to do on a winters night. Wed game against KU was a lot of fun.

Reactions: Jdk and mj4cy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm voting for a high water mark similar to what ISU had in the late 90s early 2000s with Bill. But only time will tell. We still have a solid program but it is off of its highs for both actual attendance and going further in the tournament. I'm still good with the program though and it's something fun to do on a winters night. Wed game against KU was a lot of fun.

I almost love this team more than any others in recent years because seems like they're only going to get better. The last 2-3 years we had more expectations...felt like Sweet 16 or bust.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I almost love this team more than any others in recent years because seems like they're only going to get better. The last 2-3 years we had more expectations...felt like Sweet 16 or bust.
Yeah, 5 freshman who are contributing 1-5 on the team bodes well for the future.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just don’t think she will win a Natty at Iowa. After seeing highlights of South Carolina, they seem like a well balanced team, instead of just the CC show at Iowa. Would love to see what she would make if she hit the free agent market.

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Just don’t think she will win a Natty at Iowa. After seeing highlights of South Carolina, they seem like a well balanced team, instead of just the CC show at Iowa. Would love to see what she would make if she hit the free agent market.

She's a hell of a player but she's going to have to carry the team 6 straight games. She could shoot lights out in 5 of them but its so hard to run the table without 2-3 legit scoring threats.

Last year was their window.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Don't spend too much time wondering.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
We're all very biased against wanting them to have any kind of long-term success, but I really don't see the pieces coming together. It seems like they caught lightning in a bottle with CC, but based upon what they got in the portal and their recruiting classes, I don't see them drawing a bunch of talent to their program that is a significant jump from before.

• Agree

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I don't think Bluder is capable of riding Clark's momentum and truly changing the program. She's getting a hell of a lot of mileage out of a generational talent and if anything this season is kind of showing how average the rest of the team is. I honestly wouldn't say she's done a great job building around Clark either.

Reactions: cychhosis and mj4cy

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I don't think Bluder is capable of riding Clark's momentum and truly changing the program. She's getting a hell of a lot of mileage out of a generational talent and if anything this season is kind of showing how average the rest of the team is. I honestly wouldn't say she's done a great job building around Clark either.
I wonder why they couldn't pull in any top caliber transfers?:jimlad::mccaffery:

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Apologizes if this has been said.......

Can't stand her and never could stand her....

Do you ever see teams do much to SLOW her down?? Double team? Triple team....trap her......make her give up the dam ball.....Do they NOT think she is going to let it fly fi she has ANY space at all?? How about the help side when she is shooting RIGHT handed layups.....MY GOD! How about arm barring her everytime she comes through the lane or cuts....How about laying her ASS out when she comes in the lane.....Put some dam FEAR in her head......

I turn the channel every time I see her face....Can't stand her....Nasty, Nasty, B*****! and all about herself.....
Amazing that a single female can drive you to this level by playing basketball.

Sad that at least 5 of you “like” this.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Bluder will be able to ride her legacy for a few years; then, it will drop off unless they win the national championship this year.

Examples of this:
Oregon (2020) - Sabrina Ionescu had Oregon on track for the National Championship, but COVID shut everything down. She goes to the WNBA, and Oregon has dropped off the national scene, going 52-45 in the last three years. This year, 9-5, with losses to Santa Clara (89-50), Portland (91-60), and Utah Tech (92-86).

Arizona (2021) - goes to the national championship and loses to Stanford. Loses two transfers after national championship run, 21-22 has eight transfers out, and 22-23 has another seven transfers out. The last two years, they won in the first round of the NCAA tourney, then lost in the second round.

Washington (2016) Kelsey Plum leads the Huskies to the Final Four and is the NCAA all-time leading scorer. Since 2016, Washington is 78-93, with one NCAA tourney appearance.

Other teams like those above - Oklahoma (FF in 2002, 2008, 2009, last Sweet 16 in 2013), Mississippi State (2017 & 2018 National Championship games, Elite Eight in 2019, missed tourney from 2020-2022), Syracuse (2016 Final Four, nothing past the second round since 2016, and missed the tourney in 2022 and 2023). Everyone talks about Texas, yet they have only been to three Final Fours, and most of the players playing today were babies or not born when they last went in 2003.

CC is a generational player, and last year had the perfect supporting cast to lead the run to the national championship game. Can they make the second weekend of the tourney this year? Yes. Do they get further? TBD.

The reason the South Carolina, UConn, and LSU of the world will continue to be at the top of women's basketball is after one or more generational player(s) leave, they get more. Look at all the talent that has gone through those programs in the last 20 years.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

They aren't minting any new blue bloods and it will be even harder for a non-blue blood to break through and sustain annual Top Ten level success now IMHO. With NIL and Super Conferences I think the elite will dominate the top recruiting. Still, it is "possible" (see Dawn Staley at SC) just improbable for Lisa Bluder and Iowa. An exception might be a top coach moving, like Mulkey to LSU.

Iowa is riding a wave created by Clark. Iowa State has their shot at riding a wave in a couple of years if we can keep this current class together and add the right portal pieces. Things would have to still go right and with some breaks but so far the ISU freshman Brown and Crooks look way good. Our ceiling even with tow of our best players ever, Carleton and Joens was a single Sweet Sixteen. A couple of years ago things did not go right and both Iowa's and ISU's "Elite Eight" level teams lost to Creighton spoiling both teams "wave" for that year.

With that said, Iowa's class for next year ranks #9 in the country. That's about what our current much ballyhooed class of this year ranked. They will not be a top 10 team next year but they aren't falling off the end of the world to the bottom of the Big Ten and could be quite good again in a couple of years. will they sellout every game? No. Will they likely be Top 10 in attendance? Yes. Will they get their current press coverage level? No. The odd part for Iowa is that's a bit out of step with current recruiting is the lack of portal activity. They currently have a full roster next year and haven't had a lot of portal activity either way, gals leaving or gals coming in.

Note: And, yes, I know a serious reply has no place in this thread but thought I'd give it a shot. LOL at myself.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
They aren't minting any new blue bloods and it will be even harder for a non-blue blood to break through and sustain annual Top Ten level success now IMHO. With NIL and Super Conferences I think the elite will dominate the top recruiting. Still, it is "possible" (see Dawn Staley at SC) just improbable for Lisa Bluder and Iowa. An exception might be a top coach moving, like Mulkey to LSU.

Iowa is riding a wave created by Clark. Iowa State has their shot at riding a wave in a couple of years if we can keep this current class together and add the right portal pieces. Things would have to still go right and with some breaks but so far the ISU freshman Brown and Crooks look way good. Our ceiling even with tow of our best players ever, Carleton and Joens was a single Sweet Sixteen. A couple of years ago things did not go right and both Iowa's and ISU's "Elite Eight" level teams lost to Creighton spoiling both teams "wave" for that year.

With that said, Iowa's class for next year ranks #9 in the country. That's about what our current much ballyhooed class of this year ranked. They will not be a top 10 team next year but they aren't falling off the end of the world to the bottom of the Big Ten and could be quite good again in a couple of years. will they sellout every game? No. Will they likely be Top 10 in attendance? Yes. Will they get their current press coverage level? No. The odd part for Iowa is that's a bit out of step with current recruiting is the lack of portal activity. They currently have a full roster next year and haven't had a lot of portal activity either way, gals leaving or gals coming in.

Note: And, yes, I know a serious reply has no place in this thread but thought I'd give it a shot. LOL at myself.
If I'm Bluder I'm retiring as soon as CC leaves. She will be 63 this spring and it will never be this good again.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Haha. The photo in the article about the amazing Carver experience was taken . . . at Hilton! o_O

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019

Congratulations. You've somehow brought reason into the discussion. For most schools the stars have to align. Iowa's best shot came last season. I think another run isn't out of the question but probably unlikely. If things would have lined up for Clark to play with Gustafson for 1 year they maybe would've had a shot. Clones shot at a deep run could come in 2-3 years if things work out.

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron