Thoughts on the Schwartz rumors...

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Well, I'm with you on this one Chris. Losing Schwartz would not be a good thing for this program. He may not be the World Beater we want every Cyclone to be (although he's still quite young and could become one in the future) but he does play a very important role with this team.

My take (with no insider info) is the coaching staff maybe approached him to play on the defensive side of the ball next year thus prompting him to consider a transfer. Hell, if you ask me, he may be one great defensive end or possibly linebacker.

We shall see how this plays out, but count me as one that hopes he stays with the good guys. I like this kid.

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
I agree with you. If Schwartz leaves it would be a bigger loss than most people seem to believe. I was thinking about him last night while watching Weaver play for Philly I can see him developing into that kind of player. I hope he does it wearing Cardinal and Gold.

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
I'd disagree. He had many chances to grab mins and do something with them, but he never got it done. Depth is good, but unless he made major strides in the off-season he isn't going to be a guy you want to see getting a bunch of carries.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
If we can get a commitment from Shontrelle Johnson I think we will be ok. We would have Robinson, Williams, Blankenship, White, Hollis, and Johnson. Schwartz is a nice player, but all six of those guys are better fits for this offense. It would be nice if Schwartz stays and even better if he gave defense a shot, but it won't kill us if he leaves. There are offenses out there that are better suited for his talents. Best of luck to him.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
I'd disagree. He had many chances to grab mins and do something with them, but he never got it done. Depth is good, but unless he made major strides in the off-season he isn't going to be a guy you want to see getting a bunch of carries.

The kid is a RS Frosh. I'd say he fared well overall for being in his first year on the field.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
The kid is a RS Frosh. I'd say he fared well overall for being in his first year on the field.

I think that miz and I are on the same level here. I'm not saying that JS is ever going to be All-Big 12. I just think that he's the type that can and will get a lot better. Having said that, I've heard that his attitude has been troublesome at times which is a downer.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Agreed. On a team that is struggling to find wins and offensive production, we can use ever body that we can get. If this was Bo, who has done less at ISU than Schwartz, people would be freaking out. But because Schwartz is big and not speedy - it's not a big deal.

Does he fit this offense perfectly? No. But our inabilities to score at the goal line or pick up short yardage conversions since Kock left are well documented. Schwartz is a freshman and I can only imagine he would get better. I'd love to see him stick around and be the guy we need in short yardage situations or on passing downs as that extra blocker.

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I don't think we'd miss him much offensively, but the idea of him potentially switching to defense is interesting. There might be something to that theory of him being asked to consider switching to the other side of the ball.

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities
I hope Schwartz stays, but losing him would be far from detrimental to our running game.

kansascy

Apr 28, 2006
Wichita, KS
I hope Schwartz stays, but losing him would be far from detrimental to our running game.

At this point, its hard to say what the impact would be. If ARob goes down and Schwartz has transferred, we have a stable of unknowns to pick from. Anyone predicting the impact of Schwartz leaving without seeing any of the alternatives play at the D1 level is just guessing. But I suppose that's what we do here isn't it!

And Bo's 40 yard run doesn't count :smile:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't want to see any player transfer. Having said that, I think JS may be best served to transfer at this point. I think one thing we will find with Rhoads is he will help his kids make the best decision for them. If that decision is to stay with us so be it, if not, then I think he will be up front and honest.

This is speculation, but my guess is that JS was approached with the idea of changing to defense. I think that would be his best option at PT here. If everything goes the way I see it going, JS would be #4 on the depth chart with one guy at his eligibility level and one that is younger. I would say the coaching staff was up front and said "Hey, unless you become significantly more explosive, we don't know that we can get you many carries throughout a whole game. Would you consider a move to defense?" My guess is that he didn't want to do that because he didn't want to change positions when he was being recruited. That's why he is here. I want him to stay a Cyclone, I just do not think I can honestly say that's in his best interest at this point.

Last edited:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Does he fit this offense perfectly? No. But our inabilities to score at the goal line or pick up short yardage conversions since Kock left are well documented. Schwartz is a freshman and I can only imagine he would get better. I'd love to see him stick around and be the guy we need in short yardage situations or on passing downs as that extra blocker.

Kock was certainly a nice asset that we really haven't replaced. I agree it'd be nice to have someone that is good for a yard or two when you need it

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Kock was certainly a nice asset that we really haven't replaced. I agree it'd be nice to have someone that is good for a yard or two when you need it

Kock wouldn't have been as effective at getting those yards in this system. He lined up fairly close behind the QB. Starting from the shotgun position requires a whole different set of abilities.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
The big question here is why would he transfer? I mean, for a frosh fullback he got a darn good amount of carries. Probably more than he would have got at just about any other BCS school. He started a few games as a freshman for gods sake...

It can't be because of playing time could it?! Because if it is this kid has got some serious issues. CPR has already shown him as a freshman he has confidence in him and is willing to give him the ball when it matters....what the heck am I missing here. Something seems strange...

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Every team would want the attributes that JS possesses. We are a team that will be building on its success and JS is a part of that. However, I can understand why JS would want to look else where considering what he can bring to an offense that is not predicated on the spread.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Honest question here: when arob went down this year, how many carries and snaps did JS have prior? He was pretty much unproven I believe. If arob would to go down again next year and JS isn't around, we would be in a similar boat but we would have a back that fits the system better. I am confident in this coaching staff's ability to develop and coach up players. We would be fine and possibly more productive than if JS was in there.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Maybe JS wants to be more than an "If player A gets hurt, I get to play." type of player. He may never be more than that running ISU's system.