This trend in road games is really bugging me

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Lack of depth. Especially in the back court. Tech played 10 guys tonight, and they had two starters out.

We get tired and lose focus and lose the big leads. TJ needs to learn to trust some other guys on the bench. Hell, he trusts Rob out there, why not put King out there to rest guys when we get up big for a bit?

Playing the way TJ wants exerts a LOT of energy. He needs to learn to get players rest.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Lack of depth. Especially in the back court. Tech played 10 guys tonight, and they had two starters out.

We get tired and lose focus and lose the big leads. TJ needs to learn to trust some other guys on the bench. Hell, he trusts Rob out there, why not put King out there to rest guys when we get up big for a bit?

The weird part about King was that I thought he was OK in the first half. Why not give him a shot in the 2nd?

Reactions: CycloneErik

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
The weird part about King was that I thought he was OK in the first half. Why not give him a shot in the 2nd?
Exactly. And I guess you could also throw Eli King too. Have him spot Lipsey for a little bit when we’re up 20+. We’re losing big leads anyways, might as well have guys rested for it.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Normally I would agree, but King was allowing himself to make some over agressive fouls. But we sure could have used him for a rebound. UGHHHHHHHH

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Playing the way TJ wants exerts a LOT of energy. He needs to learn to get players rest.

I think Tech played guys that had not played much and they basically just street balled.

Reactions: CloneLawman

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Exactly. And I guess you could also throw Eli King too. Have him spot Lipsey for a little bit when we’re up 20+. We’re losing big leads anyways, might as well have guys rested for it.

The Eli King stuff is stupid. But Tre King was playing fairly well in the first half. He got rebounds---I think he had 6. But when we were melting down, maybe give him a shot. It literally couldn't have been worse.

Reactions: Acer88

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not to say this isn't a really disturbing trend, because it is. But the flip side is that we've had some deficits at home too (early against Baylor and Texas) and roared back to win somewhat comfortably - the mirror image of these Okie State and Texas Tech games. If you looked at any of these final scores without knowing how the game played out, you probably wouldn't be surprised by any of them.

So maybe it's just that we're a team of runs and droughts that come and go at different times.

Per your last sentence...are you saying this is...a basketball team?

They're pretty good when they're good, and get way off when they're not.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Obanor and others were killing us on the boards. Why Tre didn't play much in the 2nd half is mind boggling
Everyone looked legitimately scared in the 2nd half, same looks on their face we saw in Iowa City. Tre King isn’t getting punked like that, he’s more likely to get a T for being too physical than get scared on the road. He should have been in the game.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Big Rob Energy needs those minutes…
he tried to catch and shoot in the air late in the game, was at point blank range, and freaking didn't even hit the rim>. Hit the backboard though, lol. Anyway, he hits that bunny, this game would be over

Reactions: agentbear

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Man, it sucks, but I feel like my assessment was right after the Oklahoma State game. We're not contenders, we're overachievers.
Which I am actually fine with. Tonight sucked but I'm not pissed we lost...I am worried about how we're giving up big leads and how we lost. Also worried about our next couple games...all the games obviously...but how we come out against KU and WVU will tell us alot. Lose both...panic mode creeps in.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
then Tech started body-checking on defense away from the ball & the officials allowed them to do so. Pushed our sets further from the basket & we settled for too many jump shots & didn't attack the basket enough to match what they did.
This where TJ needs to get on the officials. Does he confront them on such things? Does he ask them why they are letting Tech body check our guys? Or make sure they let our guys do it too?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Per your last sentence...are you saying this is...a basketball team?

They're pretty good when they're good, and get way off when they're not.

They did just have the second worst blown lead in the history of the conference. A regular loss by 3 against the worse team in the league is one thing. Tonight was just really bad.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They did just have the second worst blown lead in the history of the conference. A regular loss by 3 against the worse team in the league is one thing. Tonight was just really bad.

Yep the last 12 minutes was the bad version. Really really bad. Iowa game bad.