This team

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Very proud of their effort. The Kstate game was a bit of a debacle but since then they've improved dramatically. Going into Allen field house with a chance to take a lead under 5 minutes makes me think they're very close. I definitely think they get Baylor at home Saturday and upset either tcu or tech. Revenge game at Texas and who knows. I'm not counting on an NCAA but it'd be great if NIT happened. Go state

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Having Brase and Talley back has really seemed to right the ship. Now if they can just find a way to finish strong in the last 3 minutes they'll be right there with the rest of the league.

Brase is the key. They always look better with him.

And a plea, crowds were understandably bad first two games due to Memphis and cold and no students. I haven’t missed any game in years but missed those two. Even though the team sucks, PLEASE GET TO THE GAME AND CHEER LOUD. this team needs support. I suspect losing 4 is demoralizing and we need to help.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Brase is the key. They always look better with him.

And a plea, crowds were understandably bad first two games due to Memphis and cold and no students. I haven’t missed any game in years but missed those two. Even though the team sucks, PLEASE GET TO THE GAME AND CHEER LOUD. this team needs support. I suspect losing 4 is demoralizing and we need to help.

I'm getting to the game Saturday. It's been a long while since I've been to a game in Ames, but I'll be in the state for a visitation/funeral and there's no way I'm missing the chance to cheer my ass off.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
This team reminds me of last year's football team. They're young, struggling to find an identity, and the only thing keeping them from winning is consistency.

Tonight was actually encouraging for me. We responded the right way and our body language and discipline were a 180 of last game.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
They made mistakes down the stretch that young and inexperienced teams make. You see flashes of how good some of the players on this team can be once the game slows down for them with more experience. I just keep focusing on the long term that this is going to be a rebuilding year with some ups and downs and that next year has the potential to be right back up there in the top part of the conference with the underclassmen having a year of Big 12 experience and adding Shayok, Jacobsen, and another talented freshman class to the mix while losing Jackson, Brase, and Beverly. This team right now is just a few plays away from being 2-2 or 3-1 in conference play but they have to learn how to close out winnable games when the opportunity is there.

Talent wise Wigginton and Lard have the potential to be NBA players some day but how they learn from their mistakes and develop will dictate how quick of a rebuild this will be. I think this coaching staff is doing everything they can to teach these kids and put them in winnable situations but when it comes to clutch time late in the game the players making the right decisions with the ball is what is going to win or lose a game and we're seeing the growing pains right now of players learning on the job what it takes to win in the Big 12. Baylor is a winnable game at Hilton this Saturday. Let's hope this team leaves the Phog with their heads held high and puts in some good work in practice the next few days and gives us a reason to rock Hilton on Saturday afternoon!

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Good to see all the optimism in a thread for once after a loss! The sky is not falling on this program. I too was very encouraged by the performance against KU. We've lost 2 OT games and took KU to wire in Lawrence. We're right there with everybody else from a competitive standpoint and this is a rebuilding year with a bunch of guys that are still learning how to play together. The talent is clearly there and what we add next year is even more exciting.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I told my wife these guys are really good but they make just enough mistakes to lose. And the mistakes they make are just inexperience mistakes for the most part.

I totally agree. Last night we are tied or have a small lead and we have 3 straight turnovers that lead to layups or dunks and one of them was an and one.

I honestly love this group. They are giving it their all. They are making mental or physical errors that you would expect. Lard and Wigginton are absolutely the real deal, and Weiler-Babb is having a historic season statistically. However, he's played half a season of point guard in his entire life. He has some turnover issues. Wigginton has some turnover issues. He can tighten his handle. Lard had a ton of turnovers but he's a willing and pretty capable passer in the post. I really, really like the foundation of this group and we are going to add a lot of guys to the rotation next year that will really help.

The NCAA Tournament is the bar for success in college basketball. However, the NIT would be a good experience for this team and I hope they get there. As long as they continue to compete hard I can definitely be proud of them.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and Cyclad

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I totally agree. Last night we are tied or have a small lead and we have 3 straight turnovers that lead to layups or dunks and one of them was an and one.

I honestly love this group. They are giving it their all. They are making mental or physical errors that you would expect. Lard and Wigginton are absolutely the real deal, and Weiler-Babb is having a historic season statistically. However, he's played half a season of point guard in his entire life. He has some turnover issues. Wigginton has some turnover issues. He can tighten his handle. Lard had a ton of turnovers but he's a willing and pretty capable passer in the post. I really, really like the foundation of this group and we are going to add a lot of guys to the rotation next year that will really help.

The NCAA Tournament is the bar for success in college basketball. However, the NIT would be a good experience for this team and I hope they get there. As long as they continue to compete hard I can definitely be proud of them.

In the very least, we would have to go .500 the rest the way to be an NIT team. Not impossible, but right now I'm not counting on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I told my wife these guys are really good but they make just enough mistakes to lose. And the mistakes they make are just inexperience mistakes for the most part.
My wife and I had the same conversation last night. The mistakes certainly add up but unfortunately young teams are prone to multiple mistakes in a short sequence and that’s what did us in last night. Fortunately, these things are all correctable.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
The ****** thing is that we can win these games, but we just don't have the experience yet. From a fans perspective that makes it very frustrating since we have had that in the past few years. Not being able to inbounds the ball down 1, and then turning it over twice in a row to watch Kansas go up 7 made me about pull my hair out. We'll get there, hopefully sooner than later.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
It is crazy to me how much this team parallels the OU team from last year...... Close but just not there, I think we get some surprises as this team grows.... I actually think we win Saturday at home for the first B12 win....

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This feels so much like Fred's first team.

Undermanned, outgunned, inexperienced, a lot of spare parts...

...but still so damn close to breaking out.

• Agree
Reactions: kevdiv48 and jbindm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron