This might be what pushes Pollard...

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I thought same thing as OP. Dude Leath is injecting himself into this whole thang. It is his right, for sure. But could cause a crack that leads to JP leaving.

So pray tell, what is the level of rift between the two since you seem to have definitive knowledge of the facts of this entire process? Some of you buying into every single one of the media's "sources" as if they are irrefutable, really showcases the type of "react now, think later" society we have devolved into....

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So the president shouldn't do his job because Pollard is a baby? I don't understand? The AD goes through the president all the time, this isn't new. It won't be different anywhere else either.

Do we even know what Pollard's reaction has been to Leath's involvement? How do we know it was negative?

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Remember Pollard's son is going to Iowa State to run so I doubt he just "leaves"

This means nothing. He can go run wherever he wants. He's not required to attend ISU.

And as for the other comment "yeah, he would walk away from a six figure job..." Duh. No one (but you, apparently), thinks he would just quit. The talk is about whether he would actively look for another job.

That said, way too many projection in this thread. We don't know the relationship is strained.

Deep breaths, everyone.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Do we even know what Pollard's reaction has been to Leath's involvement? How do we know it was negative?

Kind of takes some pressure off him should this hire not go well in the coming years. Don't think he would mind it. Its a big hire and additional opinions are not a bad thing.

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
This means nothing. He can go run wherever he wants. He's not required to attend ISU.

And as for the other comment "yeah, he would walk away from a six figure job..." Duh. No one (but you, apparently), thinks he would just quit. The talk is about whether he would actively look for another job.

That said, way too many projection in this thread. We don't know the relationship is strained.

Deep breaths, everyone.

Pollard's son signed a letter of intent. He can't go wherever he wants.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
JP didn't want to pay for a search firm. Now the bathrooms in the SEZ will go unfinished until next year.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There's a lot of projecting in this thread. We have no idea the degree of the disagreement between Leath and Pollard. A lot of people are assuming that this is some grand battle of wills, and for all we know it's something far, far less than that. Do we know if there has been any acrimony between the two? Do we know how Pollard responded to Leath involvement? Jumping to the conclusion that Jaimie would leave because of your assumptions about what has so far gone on behind closed doors is pretty silly.

It's what we do here.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yea, that dude isn't going to walk away from being the AD at tOSU...

But But we are Iowa Frickin State we are a National name now and can have anyone we want and we have tons of money to pay them too

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
I maybe off base here but did the meeting with the players get initiated by JP? Just wondering if so don't you think he would expect them to lean towards Otz? Then JP can use that to his advantage. If I am dead wrong I will just move along

Otz and 3/4 of the team had a little meeting at BWW today lol

He picked up the bill.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Leath's comments are fine, if he & JP have discussed together and are on the same page. The AD can use the Pres (or others) to make statements on his behalf to further whatever message he wants out there.

OTOH, if Leath & JP have not spoken and Leath is talking to JP via the media, then that is not good. For JP, for ISU, or for any of us.

I'd guess Leath & JP are on the same page and all singing their parts.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Since human beings are incredibly crafty and devious (right?), there's a possibility that the "divide" between Leath and JP is illusionary. Maybe, just maybe, JP and SL had a tete-a-tete (hah! always wanted to use that word/phrase in a sentence, now I have! Can die happy now) that produced the appearance of interference by Leath so that when Otz is hired, finally, due diligence appears to have been done.

If it is Otz, though, I would guess JP is smarter than to leap wildly, defer doing his job, and anoint a guy who doesn't have the stuff it takes to coach ISU mbb.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
A few days ago the rumor was Fred was leaving because Pollard was up his *** all the time. Now it's Pollard is going to leave because Leath is up his ***. You can't quit every time your boss bosses you, and you're a big ***** if you do.

...into leaving ISU. I actually like a President who is passionate about the athletics program...I get that. I'd rather have that than the Sally Masons of the world who despise sports in general. But if President Leath starts meddling too much and makes it harder for Jamie to do his job...then the relationship between Pollard and Leath is damaged to the point where JP will leave rather than work with a too meddling of a president. (Most people don't like their boss coming into their department to start "helping out" Everyone gets on edge.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
TJ is still the guy IMO. Jeremy's post about big donors questioning it gave Leath the reason to get visible and make it look like we are going national and he is challenging pollard. In the end TJ will get a million and incentives to win. He will have to work his way up to a couple million. ISU saves 1-1.5 million. The risk is this season. If TJ learns on the job and it costs us our dream season, it will be ugly in the donor suites. I predict you see a former big name head coach willing to take a one year assistant gig and a chance to help win big and springboard to another bug job. TJ is still the best guy though since we have not much after this season and he can recruit both high school and transfers. We need a recruiter. 1 year go all in and try to win it all or 5 year decision here? He doesn't look so good for the one year scenario but is prob the best for the next 5. That's probably the debate between Leath and pollard and the money donors.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
A few days ago the rumor was Fred was leaving because Pollard was up his *** all the time. Now it's Pollard is going to leave because Leath is up his ***. You can't quit every time your boss bosses you, and you're a big ***** if you do.

Pretty unlikely Fred left because of his bosses, though he was likely pi$$ed about the way they handled the BuBu situation. But whether JP, Leath, or both are doing the interviewing I sure hope they also have somebody in there that knows basketball and knows what questions to ask, and can evaluate the coaches answers. I just don't see JP or Leath having the basketball knowledge to interview coaches without help.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
...into leaving ISU. I actually like a President who is passionate about the athletics program...I get that. I'd rather have that than the Sally Masons of the world who despise sports in general. But if President Leath starts meddling too much and makes it harder for Jamie to do his job...then the relationship between Pollard and Leath is damaged to the point where JP will leave rather than work with a too meddling of a president. (Most people don't like their boss coming into their department to start "helping out" Everyone gets on edge.

oh well

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
He's the 11th highest paid A.D. in the country.. i loled.