There must be a term for these people

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Yea I'm willing to bet you were never actually a fan, sure maybe you went to a few Iowa State games because you grew up in Ames. A true Iowa State fan would never become a fan of the Hawks. Also I don't really completely agree with this thread, I can understand that serious Iowa fans aren't going to convert to cyclones just because Iowa State has better programs so they decided to come here. However I do have a problem with them being decked out in Hawkeye gear every single day of the week on campus, have a little respect, and if it really is that hard on them to attend Iowa State maybe they made the wrong choice.

This is pretty much the intent of the original post, I believe.

Nobody cares if you are not a fan of the school that you attend, it's the jerkoff that draws attention to themselves that rubs actual fans wrong.

I remember I was in CF before the u played UNI a couple of football seasons ago. There were so many UNI students that were were going kinnick prison to cheer against their school, that it was sad. It's a big part of the reason that NOONE takes UNI seriously. They are proud of the Men's BB program, and rightfully so. But if frannie makes the u remotely relevant in the next couple of years, the 4000 people at the McLeod Center will be slashed by a considerable amout, especially on nights when the u plays at the same time as UNI.

The u has more of the casual fan, and kids are exposed to them at an earlier age. Add the fact that there are soooo many stupid u fans, and the brainwashing is pretty hard to overcome. The problem is that they go with company line that the u is a national program, and think like nebbie fans. The difference is that nebbie IS a national name, and the u isn't.

THAT is what makes these "people" so laughable.

VictoryPolka

Jan 3, 2009
IC via Ankeny
Yea I'm willing to bet you were never actually a fan, sure maybe you went to a few Iowa State games because you grew up in Ames. A true Iowa State fan would never become a fan of the Hawks. Also I don't really completely agree with this thread, I can understand that serious Iowa fans aren't going to convert to cyclones just because Iowa State has better programs so they decided to come here. However I do have a problem with them being decked out in Hawkeye gear every single day of the week on campus, have a little respect, and if it really is that hard on them to attend Iowa State maybe they made the wrong choice.

This is one of my biggest beefs with Iowa State fans. There seems to be a subset who can decide inclusion and exclusion of their fandom. Who are you to say I wasn't a true fan? Because I decided to be loyal to my college and now alma mater? I guess those 18 years spent supporting the Cyclones may look worthless from the outside now that I am a Hawkeye, but I truly had some enjoyable years supporting Iowa State (as well as some incredibly frustrating years trying to defend my support). School loyalty just won out for me, as I chose Iowa based on it's reputation in health education and medical research.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
This is one of my biggest beefs with Iowa State fans. There seems to be a subset who can decide inclusion and exclusion of their fandom. Who are you to say I wasn't a true fan? Because I decided to be loyal to my college and now alma mater? I guess those 18 years spent supporting the Cyclones may look worthless from the outside now that I am a Hawkeye, but I truly had some enjoyable years supporting Iowa State (as well as some incredibly frustrating years trying to defend my support). School loyalty just won out for me, as I chose Iowa based on it's reputation in health education and medical research.

If you were as "devoted" as you claim, then it certainly would not have been easy for you to change sides.

Certainly, if you were as "devoted" to Iowa State as you apparently claim you were, then I would think that coming to a rival site and talking **** would not be as easy as it has been for you. In fact, if you were truly an Iowa State fan, and then became a u fan, then I would think that you would be embarrassed by these "people" that come on here and talk ****.

Yeah, I am sure that you were a "real" fan of Iowa State.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Only against nebraska, maybe, we'll see.

It is possible, and even common. As a kid, rooting for either and all in-state teams is easy. Once you grow up, enter the outside world and are faced with the unbelievably arrogant, DB EIU fans and their tavernhok minions it is a real shock to the system. You realize, "what the hell was I thinking?!?" And from then on you never want to see them win again.

As a kid I did root for most all instate teams, but I distinctly remember the difference in hawkeye/cyclone fans starting around middle school. The Hawks were cool, and had no problem with making fun of cyclone kids that were fans.

Say what your will but it was harsh, mean and even borderline bullying that I wanted nothing to do with from a young age. I have only come to find out that this type of behavior is quite evident throughout all Hawkdom.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
This is pretty much the intent of the original post, I believe.

Nobody cares if you are not a fan of the school that you attend, it's the jerkoff that draws attention to themselves that rubs actual fans wrong.

I remember I was in CF before the u played UNI a couple of football seasons ago. There were so many UNI students that were were going kinnick prison to cheer against their school, that it was sad. It's a big part of the reason that NOONE takes UNI seriously. They are proud of the Men's BB program, and rightfully so. But if frannie makes the u remotely relevant in the next couple of years, the 4000 people at the McLeod Center will be slashed by a considerable amout, especially on nights when the u plays at the same time as UNI.

The u has more of the casual fan, and kids are exposed to them at an earlier age. Add the fact that there are soooo many stupid u fans, and the brainwashing is pretty hard to overcome. The problem is that they go with company line that the u is a national program, and think like nebbie fans. The difference is that nebbie IS a national name, and the u isn't.

THAT is what makes these "people" so laughable.

I go to UNI now, got my undergrad at ISU, and I can second this times 10. You try to talk football here and everyone here is a hawk fan. Try to talk basketball and everyone is a panther.

Irresponsible

Jul 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
This is pretty much the intent of the original post, I believe...that's what makes these "people" so laughable.

Congrats on being part of the Rapture, "mikem." Whoever is now writing this is clearly not mikem because you didn't use 'bred' once. Please return our mikem.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If you were as "devoted" as you claim, then it certainly would not have been easy for you to change sides.

Certainly, if you were as "devoted" to Iowa State as you apparently claim you were, then I would think that coming to a rival site and talking **** would not be as easy as it has been for you. In fact, if you were truly an Iowa State fan, and then became a u fan, then I would think that you would be embarrassed by these "people" that come on here and talk ****.

Yeah, I am sure that you were a "real" fan of Iowa State.

This. I have no problem with someone going to school and becoming a fan of that school. You SHOULD have some loyalty to your alma mater. Just don't say that you were a big ISU fan and then come over here and talk **** about ISU. If you were a big fan at one time, it should be pretty easy to abstain from the crap that your average hok fan loves to spew about ISU.