There must be a term for these people

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Could the stories of ISU fans getting abused in Iowa City be a bit over-exaggerated? Just a question, because nearly every single opposing fan I have ever talked to or seen on a message board commends Iowa for how well they were treated in and around Kinnick. Are you gonna get a few drunk guys yelling profanity about Iowa State? Maybe, but you get unruly drunk people at every stadium you go to.

Maybe some people ARE exaggerating, but what I've seen and heard are first hand accounts. First hand accounts of full beercans, food, raw hamburger thrown at people for wearing ISU gear. Most weren't the kind of people to run their mouths...although one had a stuffed herky in a noose hanging from a stick...he probably deserved the raw hamburger. The rest were people who normally don't get into fights or cause problems. I personally got into a fight with some drunk who was mad that the beer can that someone threw at me hit him instead.

So if "every single opposing fan" you talk to say they were treated well, you sure the hell aren't talking to Cyclone fans. Either iowa fans treat everyone poorly or they just do that to ISU fans (because I know for SURE that they treat ISU fans poorly). But wait, if that's the case, then that means that they actually CARE about the rivalry. Iowa fans bad fans or they treat ISU visitors worse than everyone else? Oh, the paradox!!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Well for someone who thinks I flame so frequently, you have a hard time remembering one instance. Un-freaking-believable.

Actually, no, I don't have "a hard time remembering one instance". I just choose not to waste my time paging through your flame-filled posting history. There's no such thing as the burden of proof when you don't care what the other party thinks and the penalty for actually being a "flamer" is negligible. You're on this board to 1.defend iowa and 2.put down ISU, just like your cronies. I can accept that, but I don't see why it's so hard for some of you to.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Actually, no, I don't have "a hard time remembering one instance". I just choose not to waste my time paging through your flame-filled posting history. There's no such thing as the burden of proof when you don't care what the other party thinks and the penalty for actually being a "flamer" is negligible. You're on this board to 1.defend iowa and 2.put down ISU, just like your cronies. I can accept that, but I don't see why it's so hard for some of you to.

See, this is where you are wrong. I am not "putting down" ISU. I know you don't want to look through my posts to find one where I do, but don't just spew out sentences when you have no idea what you are talking about. I defend Iowa, sure. I don't "put down" ISU. I will make harmless jokes about ISU and ISU fans will do the same. It's part of the fun of a rivalry. You should try it. A sense of humor can be fun.

If you remembered at least one time where I "put down" ISU, that might back up your argument. But you don't. You certainly have the time to tell me about my "flame-filled" posting history, but you don't have any facts to back that up. It shouldn't take going through my post history if you are so sure most of my posts are of the flaming variety.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
See, this is where you are wrong. I am not "putting down" ISU. I know you don't want to look through my posts to find one where I do, but don't just spew out sentences when you have no idea what you are talking about. I defend Iowa, sure. I don't "put down" ISU. I will make harmless jokes about ISU and ISU fans will do the same. It's part of the fun of a rivalry. You should try it. A sense of humor can be fun.

If you remembered at least one time where I "put down" ISU, that might back up your argument. But you don't. You certainly have the time to tell me about my "flame-filled" posting history, but you don't have any facts to back that up. It shouldn't take going through my post history if you are so sure most of my posts are of the flaming variety.

Isn't it funny how harmless jokes seem like flames when you're on a Cyclone message board? IMO flaming is subjective and a lot of it depends on where you are posting. My sense of humor doesn't extend to hok fans making snide comments about ISU on an ISU message board. Sorry, I think that most of you are more childish idiots than funny. Just my opinion.

I'm done conversing with you. Should have put you on ignore sooner instead of wasting what time I already have.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Isn't it funny how harmless jokes seem like flames when you're on a Cyclone message board? IMO flaming is subjective and a lot of it depends on where you are posting. My sense of humor doesn't extend to hok fans making snide comments about ISU on an ISU message board. Sorry, I think that most of you are more childish idiots than funny. Just my opinion.

I'm done conversing with you. Should have put you on ignore sooner instead of wasting what time I already have.

palin-face-cream-med.jpg

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
My entire argument on this topic is that I'm not going to turn my back on the team that I have grown up cheering for and idolizing. I will continue to root for them, and I will also continue to root for ISU. And for any of you out there that are trying to claim you wouldn't do the exact same if you had gone to Iowa, are flat out lying. I chose to come to ISU because their engineer program is miles ahead of Iowa's, and I don't regret that decision for a minute. I have embraced college life and the athletic programs, and have enjoyed every single second of Cyclone Alley and tailgating on Saturdays.

As much as it pains me to admit now, I was hok fan my whole childhood. When I decided to go to ISU I switched and never looked back. I honestly don't see how you can go to a school and not root for them over any other school's team. It's YOUR school.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
First off, the term you are looking for is fair weather fan. Second of all, I'm from Davenport, which is a whole heck of a lot closer to Iowa City than it is to Ames. I cheer for them because both of my parents went to Iowa, and we had season tickets every year that I was growing up. So obviously it's not "hilariously obvious" why I cheer for Iowa, because if it were so obvious you would have gotten it right. I'm not trying to make myself sound noble at all, I'm just telling you why I choose to still root for Iowa. And finally, I will continue to call you a retard, because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, you don't understand the simple definitions of bandwagon and loyalty. That is why you are a retard, and that is why I will continue to refer to you as a retard.

no you won't.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
As much as it pains me to admit now, I was hok fan my whole childhood. When I decided to go to ISU I switched and never looked back. I honestly don't see how you can go to a school and not root for them over any other school's team. It's YOUR school.

Similar situation here, although I was closer to 50/50 by high school. Enrolling at ISU and exposure to hardcore hok fans pretty well sealed out the dark side in short order. Then I helped heal the rest of my family that hadn't learned on their own. I just can't understand why you would root against your school.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Similar situation here, although I was closer to 50/50 by high school. Enrolling at ISU and exposure to hardcore hok fans pretty well sealed out the dark side in short order. Then I helped heal the rest of my family that hadn't learned on their own. I just can't understand why you would root against your school.

It's different at the college level, IMO. In high school, either you're playing on the team, or you have friends that do. In college, you most likely don't have that same kind of connection with the team. If you do, then go ahead and switch, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (It's not wrong to switch at all when you go to that school, IMO).

But if I were to have gone to ISU, I wouldn't have switched because I wouldn't have that connection, thereby giving me no strong reason to switch. My athletic allegiances didn't affect my college choice/professional desires, so I wouldn't have let the reverse happen, either.

Of course in my case, both Tork Hook and Chris Street are/were family friends, and my sister and I are named for them. So there has always been a pretty deep connection to Iowa for me.

I always root for ISU outside of a few calendar dates, but Iowa would have always been my #1. The athletic department doesn't give me anything but entertainment. The school gives me a top-flight education (at either Iowa or ISU), for which they are paid quite handsomely. I don't owe the athletic department anything at all.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
It's different at the college level, IMO. In high school, either you're playing on the team, or you have friends that do. In college, you most likely don't have that same kind of connection with the team. If you do, then go ahead and switch, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (It's not wrong to switch at all when you go to that school, IMO).

But if I were to have gone to ISU, I wouldn't have switched because I wouldn't have that connection, thereby giving me no strong reason to switch. My athletic allegiances didn't affect my college choice/professional desires, so I wouldn't have let the reverse happen, either.

Of course in my case, both Tork Hook and Chris Street are/were family friends, and my sister and I are named for them. So there has always been a pretty deep connection to Iowa for me.

I always root for ISU outside of a few calendar dates, but Iowa would have always been my #1. The athletic department doesn't give me anything but entertainment. The school gives me a top-flight education (at either Iowa or ISU), for which they are paid quite handsomely. I don't owe the athletic department anything at all.

This. I get your stance, Turn, I do. But you have to see the other side as well. It didn't matter where I went to school because I had been a Hawkeye fan since I first watched a game. 15 years of being a fan....I wasn't going to change no matter where I went to school. If I went to ISU I am sure I would have went to all the games and rooted for them every time save the lone date on the schedule when they played Iowa.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny

This reminds me of the kids who've attended college while living with their folks yet claim to have had "a complete college experience."

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

A) I agree, you shouldn't root against your school

B) if you were actually Iowa fans before going to ISU then that would mean that you root for Iowa when they aren't playing ISU correct? I can understand switching favorite teams after going to a different school, but I don't know how a "fan" can go from loving a team, to rooting against that team on a regular basis. In fact, it's impossible.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
A) I agree, you shouldn't root against your school

B) if you were actually Iowa fans before going to ISU then that would mean that you root for Iowa when they aren't playing ISU correct?

Only against nebraska, maybe, we'll see.

I can understand switching favorite teams after going to a different school, but I don't know how a "fan" can go from loving a team, to rooting against that team on a regular basis. In fact, it's impossible.

It is possible, and even common. As a kid, rooting for either and all in-state teams is easy. Once you grow up, enter the outside world and are faced with the unbelievably arrogant, DB EIU fans and their tavernhok minions it is a real shock to the system. You realize, "what the hell was I thinking?!?" And from then on you never want to see them win again.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

It is possible, and even common. As a kid, rooting for either and all in-state teams is easy. Once you grow up, enter the outside world and are faced with the unbelievably arrogant, DB EIU fans and their tavernhok minions it is a real shock to the system. You realize, "what the hell was I thinking?!?" And from then on you never want to see them win again.

You're not understanding. I believe that you, and others had Iowa t-shirts, might have even attended a game or two. What I'm saying is, you weren't a fan. Fan is short for fanatic. If you are a true fan of something, you have a passion for it with an undying loyalty that will never go away, no matter the losses. You'll defend your program against anything and everything. You'll always believe you have a chance, even when nobody else does.

You see, I believe that you are a fan of Iowa State. You were never a fan of Iowa.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
You're not understanding. I believe that you, and others had Iowa t-shirts, might have even attended a game or two. What I'm saying is, you weren't a fan. Fan is short for fanatic. If you are a true fan of something, you have a passion for it with an undying loyalty that will never go away, no matter the losses. You'll defend your program against anything and everything. You'll always believe you have a chance, even when nobody else does.

You see, I believe that you are a fan of Iowa State. You were never a fan of Iowa.

Yup, and he has no clue what he is talking about, also.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny

Thank you for that absolution. I will certainly sleep much better now.

However, when you apply "a passion for it with an undying loyalty that will never go away" to someone in the formative years under 18 years old, I believe the correct term is brainwashed knothead rather than fan.

VictoryPolka

Jan 3, 2009
IC via Ankeny

This happened to me. I grew up in Ames and went to quite a few football games; in fact, up until senior year in high school, I was a pretty big Iowa State fan. Then my college choice took me to Iowa, and from then on I've been all for Iowa. Do I give Iowa State a fair share of ribbing? Yes, but I will cheer for them from time to time.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
This happened to me. I grew up in Ames and went to quite a few football games; in fact, up until senior year in high school, I was a pretty big Iowa State fan. Then my college choice took me to Iowa, and from then on I've been all for Iowa. Do I give Iowa State a fair share of ribbing? Yes, but I will cheer for them from time to time.

Yea I'm willing to bet you were never actually a fan, sure maybe you went to a few Iowa State games because you grew up in Ames. A true Iowa State fan would never become a fan of the Hawks. Also I don't really completely agree with this thread, I can understand that serious Iowa fans aren't going to convert to cyclones just because Iowa State has better programs so they decided to come here. However I do have a problem with them being decked out in Hawkeye gear every single day of the week on campus, have a little respect, and if it really is that hard on them to attend Iowa State maybe they made the wrong choice.

Last edited: