The West Virginia game is HUGE

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I watched only the WV/TCU game and the way their defense plays is what gives Purdy/Manning fits from what I can tell. Some erratic blitzing and not giving up much to the outside.

I think some of their close wins/losses are similar to ISU's vs. the same teams that could be flipped with a couple of plays here and there.

They're a talented team in year two of their coach and may have 'found it' vs. TCU. Winnable game but it's not like ISU is good enough to just have to be there to make it happen.
It’s Brockcember, baby.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think so long the team comes in to the game focused and prepared, we will be in good shape. If we are unfocused and unprepared like we were against Louisiana or first half Baylor; West Virginia is fully capable capitalizing on that and winning.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Here are some things we're playing for:

• An 8-1 conference record and sole possession of first place
  • A spot in the Big 12 championship game and a chance at our first conference title since 1912
  • A spot in a NY6 bowl, potentially even if we were to lose the Big 12 championship game
  • A chance to finish ranked in the top five if we can win out
  • A outside shot at the playoff if some teams ahead of us get upset
With past teams I might be nervous we would overlook wvu but not this team. Such a crazy year and love seeing a top ten ranking behind isu in football

Reactions: t-noah

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
With past teams I might be nervous we would overlook wvu but not this team. Such a crazy year and love seeing a top ten ranking behind isu in football

I don't think any ISU team has ever overlooked a Big 12 team. They have just not played very well in the moment most of the time. Now some of that could be fatigue, or injuries, or just not winning in the margins. These team has a different feel to it. Still need to clean up some stuff, like FGs instead of TDs like last week, but they are playing like they know they are good, which they are.

Reactions: t-noah

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
SP+ has ISU as a 10pt favorite. Also has Texas by 10 over KSU and OSU by 5 over TCU.

ISU locks up the championship game if:
  • ISU beats WVU (72%) or
  • UT beats KSU (71%) or
  • Baylor beats OU (10%) or
  • TCU beats OSU (38%)
There's a 95% chance at least one of those things happens using those probabilities.

Reactions: RogerQC

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
We are not losing this game. It's more important than the ccg simply because it's something you can control. No idea what tomorrow let alone next month holds?
I'd be very surprised this team loses to WV. Possible yes, but I don't think so. This team is special.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It took the Cubs 108 to finally win another World Series from 1908 to 2016, and we are at 108 years since Iowa State last won a football conference championship. If anyone keeps track of those things.
I'm suddenly a Cubs fan!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I just looked back at the 1976 team. They ended up losing that last game at Okie State to finish the season 8 and 3. They beat two top ten teams that year (Mizzou and Nebraska).

They were 8 and 3 and did not receive a bowl invitation?!
Four teams from the Big 8 went bowling:
#8 Oklahoma (5-2)
#12 Colorado (5-2)
#13 Nebraska (4-3)
#14 Okie State (5-2)

Nebraska started the season #1 so they had a head start in the national rankings over Iowa State who also finished 4-3 in conference. Somehow Nebraska managed to play 12 games before bowl season when everyone else was playing an 11 game season. Nebraska was 8-3-1 before bowl while ISU was 8-3. Nebraska had a post conference game at Hawaii on December 4th.

ISU had losses to #3 OU, #16 OSU and unranked CU (all the teams to tie for first).
Nebraska had losses to #8 OU, #17 MU and unranked ISU and tied LSU to start the season.
(All rankings at game time.)

ISU had a key win against Nebraska.
Nebraska had key wins against Colorado and Okie State.
"76 team, Dave Greenwood, Tony Hawkins, Wayne Stanley, and Maynard Stensrud were the team captains. Oh yeah and they had this guy,,
ISU UNIS 1977 big 8 preview Dexter Green.jpg
Dexter somebody?

Why didn't they ('76 team) get invited to Bowl game? I was in Boot camp in San Diego at the time so I was a little out of the loop.