The role of Disney+ in conference realignment

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/12/disney-reaches-116-million-subscribers-after-loki-release.html

Seeing this news got me thinking about what Disney’s (ESPN) plans and vision are for CFB. We’ve seen that streaming services need to have continued subscriber growth to be profitable to shareholders, which means constantly evolving. (Obviously this isn’t Disney’s only avenue like Netflix or Hulu but it’s still a nice payday for them).

Could CFB be another Avenue for a quick subscriber jump to Disney+? Maybe just plucking one marquee game out of the season and saying to fans, “you want to watch this game? Buy our streaming service.”

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Peacock/NBC is doing that with Notre Dame's first game this year.

Disney wouldn't do that with Disney+ though. They already have the ESPN+ platform.

Could definitely see more ESPN+ only games though from the big dogs

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: CyBobby and NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Peacock/NBC is doing that with Notre Dame's first game this year.

Disney wouldn't do that with Disney+ though. They already have the ESPN+ platform.

Could definitely see more ESPN+ only games though from the big dogs

But I think Disney+ Is like $6 more per month than ESPN+. Disney+ also would get more people in to their ecosystem for the new release movies that cost $29.99. People think cable and satellite are dead? Theaters are deader than dead.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Kind of related, but I guess in the UK some of the Premier League games are on Amazon already.

Spain’s La Liga is also on Amazon in the UK. I believe there’s a dedicated package or add-on for it as part of Prime.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Kind of related, but I guess in the UK some of the Premier League games are on Amazon already.

Spain’s La Liga is also on Amazon in the UK. I believe there’s a dedicated package or add-on for it as part of Prime.
How much is that add on? Just curious.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
But I think Disney+ Is like $6 more per month than ESPN+. Disney+ also would get more people in to their ecosystem for the new release movies that cost $29.99. People think cable and satellite are dead? Theaters are deader than dead.
They already have a Disney-ESPN+ (and Hulu) bundle that comprises most of their subscriber base so I don’t see migrating games to D+ adding many subscribers. Most people who have one already have both.

• Winner

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
ESPN+ essentially replaces NHL.tv next year. Every out of market hockey game that isn't on national tv will be on that network. Thats a lot of content if someone is a hockey fan.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/12/disney-reaches-116-million-subscribers-after-loki-release.html

Seeing this news got me thinking about what Disney’s (ESPN) plans and vision are for CFB. We’ve seen that streaming services need to have continued subscriber growth to be profitable to shareholders, which means constantly evolving. (Obviously this isn’t Disney’s only avenue like Netflix or Hulu but it’s still a nice payday for them).

Could CFB be another Avenue for a quick subscriber jump to Disney+? Maybe just plucking one marquee game out of the season and saying to fans, “you want to watch this game? Buy our streaming service.”
I don't know, but I know this. If Disney, as much as I like them, has a hand to play in ruining college football (still to be determined), I will have a hard time forgiving them.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
This could be a thread topic on its own...theaters are definitely going to go through a significant purge event. There's always room for some theaters, but multiple companies in the same city (except the biggest) is going to be a thing of the past.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

Well, on Disney's side and as I've stated before, the real costs of the entertainment are absorbed by the University. All Disney needs to do is promote and televise. Yes. They pay. But when you look at costs of producing a movie to attain the same viewership, I'll bet it's significantly more. That is the single biggest reason I see Disney, Netflix, and Amazon duking it out in the future.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron