The Real Reason why NCAA doesn't want to Pay College Athletes

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
While I am for NCAA athletes receiving a stipend to cover living expenses, I am against college athletes being paid as I feel the value of a college scholarship has significant value. Both the value of tuition, room, board and books- but more importantly the lifetime value of having a college education.

That said I also believe the NCAA has to bring back integrity to the academic aspect of college athletics. I remember a time (maybe 40 years ago- when it wasn't uncommon for college athletes to be declared "academically ineligible". The NCAA needs require all players show academic progress toward degree completion after 4 years. IMO that is not unrealistic as athletes are required to be on campus during summer school. The NCAA should also require minimum GPA.

I realize billions of dollars flow into college athletics, mainly for football and basketball. But those monies benefit student athletes in Olympic sports that don't generate revenue. The reality is 98 student athletes generate revenue to benefit hundreds of athletes.

IMO too much blame is put on the NCAA for the currently college basketball system. I would put 50% or more of the blame on the NBA.
  • Their prohibition on allowing HS players to enter the NBA draft has created this environment.
  • Their resistance to create a minor league system results a system where kids not interested in academics are forced to attend college. It also creates a system where families in poverty are tempted to take under the table payments.
I think it is time for the NBA and shoe companies (and other corporations) to step forward and fund a basketball minor league system similar to baseball. Maybe have a 2 tiered draft- a 2 round draft for athletes who attended college (require 2 year minimum) and a 2 round draft for HS players.

Reactions: Cyder91

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Not to mention all of the free clothes and shoes they get. Zion Williamson was wearing +$1,000 shoes in a game this season, for free. They get free meals on campus, and meals provided before and after games. They also get free tutoring for every single class.

What do I get as a regular student? A **** load of debt.

I wonder what all that is worth when added up (per year).

Yeah, those poor college athletes. i feel so bad for them.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
While I am for NCAA athletes receiving a stipend to cover living expenses, I am against college athletes being paid as I feel the value of a college scholarship has significant value. Both the value of tuition, room, board and books- but more importantly the lifetime value of having a college education.

That said I also believe the NCAA has to bring back integrity to the academic aspect of college athletics. I remember a time (maybe 40 years ago- when it wasn't uncommon for college athletes to be declared "academically ineligible". The NCAA needs require all players show academic progress toward degree completion after 4 years. IMO that is not unrealistic as athletes are required to be on campus during summer school. The NCAA should also require minimum GPA.

I realize billions of dollars flow into college athletics, mainly for football and basketball. But those monies benefit student athletes in Olympic sports that don't generate revenue. The reality is 98 student athletes generate revenue to benefit hundreds of athletes.

IMO too much blame is put on the NCAA for the currently college basketball system. I would put 50% or more of the blame on the NBA.
  • Their prohibition on allowing HS players to enter the NBA draft has created this environment.
  • Their resistance to create a minor league system results a system where kids not interested in academics are forced to attend college. It also creates a system where families in poverty are tempted to take under the table payments.
I think it is time for the NBA and shoe companies (and other corporations) to step forward and fund a basketball minor league system similar to baseball. Maybe have a 2 tiered draft- a 2 round draft for athletes who attended college (require 2 year minimum) and a 2 round draft for HS players.

Can kids go to the G League out of high school?

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
I wonder what all that is worth when added up (per year).

Yeah, those poor college athletes. i feel so bad for them.
Let's see
Tuition for a year at Iowa State- ~$23,000
Meals- ~$10,000
Books and Supplies- $1,000
Clothes and Shoes- $3,000
(Not sure if housing is paid for them or not)Housing - $8,000
Tutoring- $5,000
--------
$50,000 per athlete (it's probably even higher than that)

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
the problem with paying athletes is the the "top athletes" still are not going to be satisfied, and need the six figure under the table payments

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Let's see
Tuition for a year at Iowa State- ~$23,000
Meals- ~$10,000
Books and Supplies- $1,000
Clothes and Shoes- $3,000
(Not sure if housing is paid for them or not)Housing - $8,000
Tutoring- $5,000
--------
$50,000 per athlete (it's probably even higher than that)

And what is the value of free nutrition coaching, fitness coaching, position/skill coaching/development? free use of state of the art exercise and training equipment.

This is what is missed by all the pundits. Accept for a few select elite athletes, most kids would not advance to playing professionally without the skill and body development they get from college.

• Agree
Reactions: IaState2021

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Zion Williamson made millions upon millions of dollars going to Duke, he would have been a big deal had he gone straight to the league but the FREE marketing he got from being mentioned during literally every NCAA BBALL game did more for him than anything he did on the court.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyder91

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
And what is the value of free nutrition coaching, fitness coaching, position/skill coaching/development? free use of state of the art exercise and training equipment.

This is what is missed by all the pundits. Accept for a few select elite athletes, most kids would not advance to playing professionally without the skill and body development they get from college.
Forgot about all that stuff, it would easily be another 50k per athlete. So roughly $100,000 a year per athlete.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron