The Power of Donation Dollars

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Ok, since I am farely certain that I am not the only geek here, I decided to look at some numbers.

The Varsity, Century, State's 250 and Cardinal members total 5,041 and total donations are $5,046,750.

The Gold, Gold Plus, Captain's Victory and Director's clubs total 1,612 members and $3,919,500.

The Captain's club alone is $1,130,000.

I think it is interesting to note that the 5,041 members in the top group give less than the 452 members in the Captain's club. Now, I am in the Cardinal club, and am giving as much as I can talk my wife into.

I know that times are difficult, and alot of us don't have the money to give at those higher levels. I just think it is interesting to see the power of the donation dollars and to look at it from a money perspective.

I will state, that my wife made a good point, when calling me a geek. Pollard should be looking at the Varsity level donors and asking himself why there are only 748 members who take advantage of halk price football tickets when we graduate thousands of students a year. These students are eligible for this discount on average for the next 7-8 years.

DevilDog

Apr 9, 2006
Janesville
I've been taking advantage of them for the past 5 yrs. Cant take advantage of the parking pass anymore though. I did up to $100 last year though so i could get one. But $500 thats some nice coin that i dont have to park for 7 games.

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
I think in the future

there will be a revamping of the giving levels. It does not really make sense for there to be so many lower giving levels. I think the varsity level will always be there though, it is a great way to get graduates involved right out of the gate.

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
That is why it is a win win situation

to have the Varisty level. Get the grads hooked on season tickets at an affordable price, then start milking them for donations once they have been on the job for a few years.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I honestly think that there is a disconnect with graduating seniors/recent graduates. I heard nothing about the NCC or 'Varsity' level when I graduated in 1999. I would have gladly contributed if someone would have informed me on my way out the door, or perhaps slipped a flier in my degree folder as I crossed the stage.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
I completely agree. I didn't know about the varsity level until I stumbled onto it with a friend of mine. But, it is how I got hooked. That and the Lil' Cyclone Club have made going to games a fall tradition. Without either of those programs, there is no way that I would be contributing at the Cardinal level and buying season tickets.

I do have to say that next year will be more difficult for me, because I am no longer eliglible for the half price season football tickets. I'm going to start saving up my money this winter.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
there will be a revamping of the giving levels. It does not really make sense for there to be so many lower giving levels. I think the varsity level will always be there though, it is a great way to get graduates involved right out of the gate.

This could be a mistake. I started many years ago at the $100 level and at that time half of it was from my employer's matching funds program. They did away with that but had the barrier not been low, I'm not sure I would have taken that first step. My giving level has progressed from $100 - $250 - $500 - $1000 - $2500. I'm not sure why I skipped the $1500 level, but I could see adding a few steps at the higher levels to allow one to edge upward.

One thought that occurred to me was that most people probably give at the minimum for that level of giving. It seems that one could gain a points advantage over others in that group by giving more than the minimum. Say you give $110 instead of $100, or $1100 instead of $1000. That difference (other things being equal) may give you the highest priority among that particular group when it comes to seating assignments.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I started many years ago at the $100 level and at that time half of it was from my employer's matching funds program.

Your employer matched funds for the NCC? Because I work at Wells Fargo and I noticed that they have a "matching gifts" program, but I didn't know if they would allow it to the NCC. It's all about the sports then. Does anybody know if Wells Fargo will match to the NCC?

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
My employer's matching gift program has matched what I contribute to the NCC. However, now that I look at the language, maybe it shouldn't. I've never asked, I've just submitted the form.

Sometimes, if you don't want to hear the answer, it's best not to ask the question.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Well I just don't want to do something that will get me in trouble. But I'll probably give it a shot next year when I put up my contribution.

cyclonedrew

Apr 11, 2006
You all should look at your employer's. Where I work they match what I give. It's a write off for them and you can upgrade your current parking and or seats. Everyone here at work found out that they would do it and so everyone is doing it now. However we do work for a big ISU booster. You should see if your boss is willing to match the donation and let them know it's a write off for them.. Drew

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If not for Varsity, I probably wouldn't have gotten season tickets when I was younger. Once I got them, I was hooked.

A-MEN! We would not have gotten them when we did...but eventually we would have gotten them...I hope!

The Varsity Club is one of the great things ISU has provided. I'd like them to market the crap out of it to the graduating students, etc.

We do some of that for 'em though...virtually putting a gun to the heads of our friends in order to get 'em to buy tickets. :growl5cj:

clones

Mar 29, 2006
Wells will match at 80%
Pioneer also matched for us this year so we got a double match

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I started many years ago at the $100 level and at that time half of it was from my employer's matching funds program.

Your employer matched funds for the NCC? Because I work at Wells Fargo and I noticed that they have a "matching gifts" program, but I didn't know if they would allow it to the NCC. It's all about the sports then. Does anybody know if Wells Fargo will match to the NCC?

I believe a tax law change about 15 years ago changed things so companies were not inclined to match athletic donations. If your company does, consider yourself lucky. Mine no longer does.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Loophole!

I believe a tax law change about 15 years ago changed things so companies were not inclined to match athletic donations. If your company does, consider yourself lucky. Mine no longer does.

The NCC donation money is funneled through the ISU Foundation, so if you can't get a match on an athletic donation, simply request a match on a donation to the ISU Foundation (then earmark it for the NCC).