The Old Happy Joes Location

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
THIS times a million.

Married to a beef nutritionist. We have a quarter of dry aged beef in our freeze at any given time. I have acquainted myself with some mighty fine steaks in my lifetime and TXR is has never made one of them.

I've never had a steak there...just the prime rib.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
This is what bugs me about all of it. There are people with homes over on Squaw Creek to the west. There are people living in the trailer park behind Best Buy. Riverside Nursing home is over by Squaw Creek. ALL of them were there before the Target/Walmart/Best Buy sprawl. SaveUMore was pretty much the only large parking lot. All of that pavement expanse is forcing the water onto the little guys, while the big box stores sit high and dry on their raised islands. I understand the need for growth, and new tax revenue...but there has to be a better plan that to keep forcing the inevitable flood waters farther away from the river.

You are completely over estimating the effect that some concrete and raised ground in a very small area has downstream. Squaw is an entire watershed and the amount coming from Duff is minuscule compared to what is being pushed down through Ames from up stream. The amount of water those raised islands displace has no effect on flood levels. Plus the Duff area would have no affect to what happens to people that live west on Squaw.

Sure urban environments can lead to faster run off and contribute to floods, but Duff is not what drove Squaw and the Skunk out of it's banks. That would be record rainfall levels. The amount of runoff from the streets in the rest of Ames will have far more affect on Squaw than what the construction on Duff will.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Seems like maybe it is just you and I on this. Other than the rolls, I have never had anything there that I thought was worth the price. Definitely not the steak, but Not even the chicken strips.
I don't understand how anyone can complain about the price at Texas Roadhouse. I eat $25 worth of rolls every time I go there, and take my $20 steak and bacon cheese fries home for my next meal.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Since this is turning into a bash Duff Ave thread I would like to add my complaint. It bothered me my entire time in Ames that people would take their shopping cart from Walmart to the CyRide bus stop in between Texas Roadhouse and Chipotle and just leave the cart there. At any given time there can be 10+ carts there. 95% of the people that do it are a part of a specific demographic that I won't go into detail. I think most of the people on this site can catch my drift. But anyways, good lord people.. if you are that lazy and can't carry your groceries then get a damn car!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't understand how anyone can complain about the price at Texas Roadhouse. I eat $25 worth of rolls every time I go there, and take my $20 steak and bacon cheese fries home for my next meal.

See, and I hate leftovers (don't ask, there's an entire reasoning system that you don't want to hear and will find silly). So I feel like I should barely eat any rolls so that I have room for the meal - which I always regret, because the rolls are just so much better than the meal.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
See, and I hate leftovers (don't ask, there's an entire reasoning system that you don't want to hear and will find silly). So I feel like I should barely eat any rolls so that I have room for the meal - which I always regret, because the rolls are just so much better than the meal.
That's silly.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
THIS times a million.

Married to a beef nutritionist. We have a quarter of dry aged beef in our freeze at any given time. I have acquainted myself with some mighty fine steaks in my lifetime and TXR is has never made one of them.

Then I guess for the rest of us that don't have access to cows to readily slaughter TR will have to do.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013

Are you related to my son, Angie?

Hubby grew up poor with 9 siblings, so he never throws ANY food away. Youngest son apparently rebelled from that attitude, and doesn't even want tupperware or other storage containers kept in his kitchen for fear some leftover might sneak into his OCD organized refrigerator. ;)

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Hubby grew up poor with 9 siblings, so he never throws ANY food away. Youngest son apparently rebelled from that attitude, and doesn't even want tupperware or other storage containers kept in his kitchen for fear some leftover might sneak into his OCD organized refrigerator. ;)

I totally get it!! I'll purposely make or order smaller portions so that there are no leftovers. Unless it's Kraft mac and cheese, somehow I'll eat that as a leftover.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Pretty much everything I cook is based upon leftovers. Leftovers = Lunch

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Pretty much everything I cook is based upon leftovers. Leftovers = Lunch

We cook bigger meals on the weekends. On nights during the week when we're both too tired or too lazy to cook, it's "forage the fridge" night. We keep tortillas & wraps in there because you can put almost any leftover in a tortilla & make a meal. :)

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
As a peanut allergy sufferer, I will never go to Texas Roadhouse.

I'd rather not go into anyphylactic shock when I'm out to dinner

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
You are completely over estimating the effect that some concrete and raised ground in a very small area has downstream. Squaw is an entire watershed and the amount coming from Duff is minuscule compared to what is being pushed down through Ames from up stream. The amount of water those raised islands displace has no effect on flood levels. Plus the Duff area would have no affect to what happens to people that live west on Squaw.

Sure urban environments can lead to faster run off and contribute to floods, but Duff is not what drove Squaw and the Skunk out of it's banks. That would be record rainfall levels. The amount of runoff from the streets in the rest of Ames will have far more affect on Squaw than what the construction on Duff will.

Its not a matter of where the water comes from, its that the water has to snake around these new islands, creating less ways to get downstream, thus backing up the water. Look at it like a traffic jam when lanes are closed during road construction, but for floodwater. Given the amount of water that a flood event has in this area, it needs all the room it can find to get downstream.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron