The jawing, celebrating, swagger...

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
Not many people were complaining about our swagger after we beat Iowa. It's amazing how things that were ok after a win are no longer ok to our fanbase after a loss.

Swagger is good as long as it doesn't end up with stupid penalties like Johnson had yesterday. Football is an emotional game and if you don't play with emotion you won't be successful.

This. This is why I liked the Iowa swagger, not the Texas swagger.

Mneilcihsos

Sep 21, 2011
Nevada the State
Coach Rhoads needs to spend some time having the players practice the way the hand the ball to official after EVERY play in a polite manner. He needs to have some players demostrate in practice the acceptable level of post play celebration for different situations. He needs to end ALL trash talking to the opposing team and run a class act. This is not a difficult thing to do if you emphasize it. Make some rules and stick to them.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
The best way for a coach to deal with this is to sit players. Unfortunately, we don't have the depth to handle that kind of punishment at this point, look what happened when LJ got sat down for one play. This is just the character of this team, love it or hate it, it is what it is. Were gonna fight this problem every week. It's something that could be absorbed if we didn't have turnovers like a 5th grade pee wee team. Unfortunately it gets highlighted when everything that can go wrong does.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not many people were complaining about our swagger after we beat Iowa. It's amazing how things that were ok after a win are no longer ok to our fanbase after a loss.

Swagger is good as long as it doesn't end up with stupid penalties like Johnson had yesterday. Football is an emotional game and if you don't play with emotion you won't be successful.

How many times do you need to be told you're wrong before you'll start believing it?

A LOT of fans have not been happy with our antics all year long, regardless of winning or losing. Go back and read all the posts.

And to the person that said there's nothing a coach can do about it and that these are just college kids... that is the biggest bunch of BS I've ever heard. So you're saying that Paul Rhoads has lost total control of his team and there's nothing he can do about it? Kids will be kids I guess, right?

Sit these idiots if you have to. Nobody is above anyone else on this team. Get control of it. The inmates do NOT have to run the asylum, I'm sorry.

Texas rolled us last night, and I don't remember their players acting anywhere near as bad as ours. We're they confident, yes. Did they celebrate good plays with their teammates, yes. But I don't remember seeing the Texas players making some of the gestures and the headbutting that we did. And this is Texas! They have to have a lot of prima donna attitudes on that team, but it was us that looked like we had the prima donna's, not them.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Is it me or is this just crazy high this year than any other year. I find it odd that CPR let's this go on alongside the penalties. Or does he let it slide in hopes of keeping up a certain level of swagger?

I'll never understand talking **** when you're losing. Johnson's penalty would have been bad enough if ISU was up 13-0. But down 13-0? ******* asinine.

SheldahlClone

Sep 16, 2011
Polk City, IA
You guys are absolutely ridiculous, thinking our players need to talk **** during a game to get excited. Pretty sure texas didn't get in any of our player's face and they rolled our *****.

This is the most disappointing thing about the season for me. Coach Rhoads likes to call our team "BLUE COLLAR". Give me a freakin break. There is nothing about our team that is blue collar.

We have to flex our muscles whenever we make a big catch, I guess because we rarely do it?
We high step in the endzone when we're down by 34 points.
Our DB's feel the need to get in player's faces, even when they make a catch on us.

I've never been more embarrassed as a Cyclone fan. And not by our play, but lack of discipline and knowledge of the game.

Totally agree with this. Sadly, one of the things I agree with most is the last part, being embarrassed to be a fan with stupid stuff like this. I get that players act different ways when your on a D1 stage like this against a team like Texas. When a team doesn't have the athletes that another does, the only way to win or have a shot is to play a good clean game and hope for a couple breaks. When stupid mistakes take you out of a game in a half is beyond stupid. What is so hard to understand for these kids? You have a free ride to college and you get to play in one of the better conferences in the NCAA. Is it too much to ask to show alittle class? Win or lose, you should be thankful to be in the position you are in and not make an *** out of yourself/team whenever you get a tackle, catch, touchdown, etc.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
I played sports. Never talked smack. My coaches would never allow it and neither would parents if it looked like I were. To say there is nothing that can be done is weak. A coach either teaches these kids that there is no room in the game for that or he doesn't. There is certainly a way to stop it and a point to stopping high stepping while down 34.

High School golf team does not count.

Sy4Cy

Sep 1, 2009
Yeah were not there yet. I don't mind a little celebration. There was a play where Latimer made a big hit and then ran back and lined up for the next one. That's what I would love to see. I can understand why our defense is confident but they can't get so caught up in the moment that we are getting penalties and extending drives.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
Anyone stay long enough to see Lattimer and Tau'fo'ou (sp?) leaving the stadium without congratulating Texas? I'm sure some of you on your high horse are gonna shake your head at that. And when I said played competitively I didn't mean 1A Iowa High School Football.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Anyone stay long enough to see Lattimer and Tau'fo'ou (sp?) leaving the stadium without congratulating Texas? I'm sure some of you on your high horse are gonna shake your head at that. And when I said played competitively I didn't mean 1A Iowa High School Football.

Spill the beans, Ditka. Tell us about your illustrious career.

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
The fair weather fans, closet Hocks, and generally idiotic posters are out in force today. Sickening display.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
Spill the beans, Ditka. Tell us about your illustrious career.

Don't have an overly impressive one either. But I've played in front of quite a few people, in a very competitive environment. It's different when you play in front of lots of cheering people. You get emotional, you do "boneheaded" things

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009
You guys are absolutely ridiculous, thinking our players need to talk **** during a game to get excited. Pretty sure texas didn't get in any of our player's face and they rolled our *****.

This is the most disappointing thing about the season for me. Coach Rhoads likes to call our team "BLUE COLLAR". Give me a freakin break. There is nothing about our team that is blue collar.

We have to flex our muscles whenever we make a big catch, I guess because we rarely do it?
We high step in the endzone when we're down by 34 points.
Our DB's feel the need to get in player's faces, even when they make a catch on us.

I've never been more embarrassed as a Cyclone fan. And not by our play, but lack of discipline and knowledge of the game.

Do you actually watch college athletics? Everybody does this and its honestly become part of the game!
I just watched the replay of the game after being there last night because I didn't see the "head-butt" on the field. Leonard deserved the penalty for what he did but don't sit there and tell me Texas wasn't jawing the whole game!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Smack talk and emotional celebration is always going to be there, but just don't get caught doing stupid things and we'll be fine.

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009

Why does this matter or why do you care? Is there a rule that says you have to shake the hand of every player on the other team? Over the years I've see alot of opponents leave the field without congratulating. :skeptical:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
How many times do you need to be told you're wrong before you'll start believing it?

A LOT of fans have not been happy with our antics all year long, regardless of winning or losing. Go back and read all the posts.

And to the person that said there's nothing a coach can do about it and that these are just college kids... that is the biggest bunch of BS I've ever heard. So you're saying that Paul Rhoads has lost total control of his team and there's nothing he can do about it? Kids will be kids I guess, right?

Sit these idiots if you have to. Nobody is above anyone else on this team. Get control of it. The inmates do NOT have to run the asylum, I'm sorry.

Texas rolled us last night, and I don't remember their players acting anywhere near as bad as ours. We're they confident, yes. Did they celebrate good plays with their teammates, yes. But I don't remember seeing the Texas players making some of the gestures and the headbutting that we did. And this is Texas! They have to have a lot of prima donna attitudes on that team, but it was us that looked like we had the prima donna's, not them.

Stop it with the gross overractions.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
Why does this matter or why do you care? Is there a rule that says you have to shake the hand of every player on the other team? Over the years I've see alot of opponents leave the field without congratulating. :skeptical:

Where did I say I cared?

Help Support Us

Become a patron