The Fran fade

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa has blown out a lot of bad teams out and have hung enough with some good teams for it to not be a blowout. No Iowa fan thinks they are this super great team. They have been a lot better than was expected after losing Garza, Wieskamp, Fredrick and Nunge. Feels great to just make the tournament.
I agree with the bolded.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
No, I've felt this way for a while. I think they have the tools to do some good things. They could also play a team like Auburn or TT in the second round and just get absolutely drilled too. I think this team is even better equipped than last season, I think Murray is that special.
Not sure if you're looking for a pat on the back for thinking Iowa is great but...good for you I guess? Sure they have the tools. But they'll only go as far as the defense they're playing. If they play a San Diego State type team first round, that's an upset special pick. As with any tourney it's about the matchups...if they face a 2 seed like Auburn I'd predict Iowa to win pretty easily. If they face a Kentucky, they're gonna get stomped.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Sure they have the tools. But they'll only go as far as the defense they're playing. If they play a San Diego State type team first round, that's an upset special pick. As with any tourney it's about the matchups...if they face a 2 seed like Auburn I'd predict Iowa to win pretty easily. If they face a Kentucky, they're gonna get stomped.
Don’t think Iowa will get a high enough seed to have anything be called an upset in the first round.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Iowa St has turned it around against the latter half of the conference, true. But tons of metrics and ranking systems out there tell the story that one thing is not like the other. In other words, the bottom half of the Big 10 is much worse than the latter half of the Big 12. I know it's like putting lipstick on a pig so to speak, but Iowa State was certainly trending down and even at the bottom of the heap at one point. They're not anymore. Iowa is just stacking cheap wins on top of mediocrity.
The hard part about saying this is that there is literally nothing Iowa can do other than win. They can only play the schedule in front of them.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
They'll end up no lower than a 7 seed whether they deserve that seed or their resume shows they should or not.
I’d say about anything five seed and up is no longer in upset territory. Plus, unless they win out they will probably be a 7-10 seed.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I’d say about anything five seed and up is no longer in upset territory. Plus, unless they win out they will probably be a 7-10 seed.
You're saying an 11 over a 6 isn't an upset? That's...a take.

Agreed if they lose the next two and first in Indy they won't be a 7 seed but their metrics will not let them drop below the 8/9 line.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
You're saying an 11 over a 6 isn't an upset? That's...a take.

Agreed if they lose the next two and first in Indy they won't be a 7 seed but their metrics will not let them drop below the 8/9 line.
Nope, not anymore. Maybe 25 years ago it would have been.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not sure if you're looking for a pat on the back for thinking Iowa is great but...good for you I guess?

This is a thread ostensibly about how much Fran sucks at the end of seasons and how he'll probably get bounced early in the tourney. Sorry I think this season has the best chance for him to change that. If that's not relative I apologize.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Not sure if you're looking for a pat on the back for thinking Iowa is great but...good for you I guess? Sure they have the tools. But they'll only go as far as the defense they're playing. If they play a San Diego State type team first round, that's an upset special pick. As with any tourney it's about the matchups...if they face a 2 seed like Auburn I'd predict Iowa to win pretty easily. If they face a Kentucky, they're gonna get stomped.
You must think Iowa's pretty good if you think they'd win "pretty easily" vs Auburn. I don't think even die hard Hawkeyes believe that

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Ohio State loses @ home vs Nebraska coming off another embarrassing loss against Maryland. That’s really really bad.

Reactions: exCYtable

Help Support Us

Become a patron