The First Four - why keep this thing around?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
My feelings will be pretty clear on this, but I despise the "First Four" and all of the play-in games. Just eliminate them and make it a 64 team tourney again. I don't care if the Syracuse or UCLA team for this year wouldn't get in over a scrub team from a conference most people have never heard of.

I don't feel like LIU Brooklyn was "in the tourney" when they lost to Radford last night - in their shoes, I would have rather gotten a crack against Villanova on a national stage and gotten pounded. It was also noted that Radford won their first NCAA tournament game last night - no, they didn't. They beat LIU Brooklyn in a game that almost no one watched.

St. Bonaventure (sp?) also didn't get an NCAA win last night. They qualified for the tournament.

Be gone, First Four. No one likes you.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My feelings will be pretty clear on this, but I despise the "First Four" and all of the play-in games. Just eliminate them and make it a 64 team tourney again. I don't care if the Syracuse or UCLA team for this year wouldn't get in over a scrub team from a conference most people have never heard of.

I don't feel like LIU Brooklyn was "in the tourney" when they lost to Radford last night - in their shoes, I would have rather gotten a crack against Villanova on a national stage and gotten pounded. It was also noted that Radford won their first NCAA tournament game last night - no, they didn't. They beat LIU Brooklyn in a game that almost no one watched.

St. Bonaventure (sp?) also didn't get an NCAA win last night. They qualified for the tournament.

I am okay with it, but the asymmetry of having four scrub teams and four bubble teams in it annoys me to no end. Not quite sure why, to be honest.

Just do the eight weakest teams to get them out of the way/true #17 seeds. Let us build up a little connection with the winner before they go play #1.

OR

Bring the eight teams closest to the bubble to Dayton, ask for "one more data point," pair them up somehow, and let them play each other to make the dance.

Not half-and-half. It makes the brackets look asymmetric.

• Disagree
Reactions: NoCreativity

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

It's a fraud, but it won't go away. If anything, they'll find a way to expand it so more undeserving at-large teams "get their shot" and more small-school teams who did what they were supposed to do get screwed out of being in the real tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel and Judoka

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
It's a fraud, but it won't go away. If anything, they'll find a way to expand it so more undeserving at-large teams "get their shot" and more small-school teams who did what they were supposed to do get screwed out of being in the real tournament.

I know they will eventually. And that makes me even angrier.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah, and it's a fun event too. I've been before and really liked it.

I don't have a problem with the first four and enjoy watching it, but I'd wish they'd make all the play in teams be at large teams. I don't think AQs should have to be in it

If they did it your way, I'd hate it less, maybe even like it.
I'd still think that the play-in teams had their chances and failed, but at least deserving teams wouldn't be cheated.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
If they did it your way, I'd hate it less, maybe even like it.
I'd still think that the play-in teams had their chances and failed, but at least deserving teams wouldn't be cheated.
Yeah, I just like it because it's more of the NCAA tournament without being too much

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I wouldn't even care if they expanded it if they made it so it was only bubble teams. If you win your conference tournament then you deserve your shot in the real tournament, period. Making conference winners from smaller tournaments play in Dayton is an insult and is an indefensible example of the NCAA putting money ahead of the athletes.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
No AQ should be playing in the First Four. LIU Brooklyn should have been able to be at an actual tourney site this week. If they keep these games (they shouldn't, just go back to 64 teams) it should be the last 8 at large teams selected. Honestly, it should really be the last 8 power conference teams selected, but there's no way an AQ should be put in Dayton.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I am okay with it, but the asymmetry of having four scrub teams and four bubble teams in it annoys me to no end. Not quite sure why, to be honest.

Bring the eight teams closest to the bubble to Dayton, ask for "one more data point," pair them up somehow, and let them play each other to make the dance.

I like this idea, but only if it is just the "last four in" type of teams. In my opinion, anyone that gets an auto-bid shouldn't be in Dayton for the first round. They won their conference tournament, they should get their chance against the favorites-- not get knocked out by some bubble team. I like Cinderella actually getting to the ball.

Let the worst eight at-large teams duke it out for their ticket to the dance.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

Just do the eight weakest teams to get them out of the way/true #17 seeds. Let us build up a little connection with the winner before they go play #1.

OR

That's a good idea and would make for more interesting TV than the 4 auto-qualifiers.

I agree with the OP re: the First Four. It's sort of an "anticlimactic" way to start the Tournament and it allows a few more middling teams into the Dance. I wish it would go back to 64, but that's a pipe dream due to the money and TV contracts. Heck, many in the NCAA have talked about diluting the field even more in recent years to bring it to 96 teams or 128. That would just be less compelling.

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
wmwvh.jpg

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
With the changing times of college basketball, it would not surprise me if Division I subdivided a bit due to player compensation, etc. That may be for the best, and may result in the best 64 just getting the bids, and the other teams playing in another tournament.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

OR

I'd be all for the last 8 at larges having to play in, I agree that it's odd how they have it split up now.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I wouldn't even care if they expanded it if they made it so it was only bubble teams. If you win your conference tournament then you deserve your shot in the real tournament, period. Making conference winners from smaller tournaments play in Dayton is an insult and is an indefensible example of the NCAA putting money ahead of the athletes.
I agreed with the OP but I also agree with this.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron