The Best Team Lost...Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
I'm tired of it happening, but TOE has to be the luckiest group I've ever seen. I went back and watched some of it again (as painful as it was) and it just jumps off the screen how much better we are than them. Yet somehow, we would have some bogus penalty, or some other crazy play to kill our momentum. I feel like we would beat them 9 out of 10 times, but it's their Superbowl, so they can have it and be mediocre all year. Let's get to the Big 12 title game.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Another ISR thread talking about the game?
giphy.gif

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It was so bad it was a statistical aberration.

Last I heard special teams count too. ISU had the following mishaps on Special Teams.

Tried to return a kickoff and got tackled at about the 12 with a penalty so they start on the six and go three and out.

On the ensuing punt, the kicker punted a low short kick that Raigaini returned to the 25 yard line that setup Iowa's only TD drive of the game mostly on the legs of Stanley.

The obvious punt return "Butt Muff".

Iowa also punted extremely well, went 4/4 on FGs and covered punt and kick returns really well too.

Special teams were the difference in this close game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Nice job, OP. This is just the line of thinking that hawk fans think all Cyclones have and you have just served up a thread to prove it for them when in reality it is just a few delusional fans.

• Agree
Reactions: TRYHARDER

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm tired of it happening, but TOE has to be the luckiest group I've ever seen. I went back and watched some of it again (as painful as it was) and it just jumps off the screen how much better we are than them. Yet somehow, we would have some bogus penalty, or some other crazy play to kill our momentum. I feel like we would beat them 9 out of 10 times, but it's their Superbowl, so they can have it and be mediocre all year. Let's get to the Big 12 title game.

Please never change.

• Useful
Reactions: Statefan10 and adjl

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Depends what you mean by "Best" I guess you could make an argument for talent. The stats show we moved the ball a lot better, at the end of the day though, they were a "better" disciplined team and in this game, that's what mattered. If we are going to continue to play sloppy, we have to put a lot more points on the board. If you keep a game close, anything can happen and usually, the "best" disciplined team will come out on top. So personally, I don't agree with the OP.

• Disagree
Reactions: adjl

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
I was going to say something similar. Great teams don't let 1 or 2 plays make or break the game for them. We aren't there.....YET.
It was a weird game with weird circumstances. I honestly think we beat them most times, but things just always seem to fall their way in this game.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Last I heard special teams count too. ISU had the following mishaps on Special Teams.

Tried to return a kickoff and got tackled at about the 12 with a penalty so they start on the six and go three and out.

On the ensuing punt, the kicker punted a low short kick that Raigaini returned to the 25 yard line that setup Iowa's only TD drive of the game mostly on the legs of Stanley.

The obvious punt return "Butt Muff".

Iowa also punted extremely well, went 4/4 on FGs and covered punt and kick returns really well too.

Special teams were the difference in this close game.
Fair point but that's the only aspect where we were outplayed. We should've won by 2 touchdowns still. Some blown calls, and blown opportunities, bad snaps, weird circumstances just stopped our momentum. It was so easy to move the ball, and if they ever called holding on Iowa, I'm not sure they would've had more than 5 first downs all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron