The 10 best breweries in Iowa

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Of the North Central Iowa breweries, they left the best one off the list - Lake Time in Clear Lake.

Haven't gotten to Alluvial yet and have had Big Grove beer, but not at their brewery. It's a solid list, but I would personally probably put in Lion Bridge and Backpocket over Peace Tree and Twisted Vine, but I understand the inclusions.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Of the North Central Iowa breweries, they left the best one off the list - Lake Time in Clear Lake.

Haven't gotten to Alluvial yet and have had Big Grove beer, but not at their brewery. It's a solid list, but I would personally probably put in Lion Bridge and Backpocket over Peace Tree and Twisted Vine, but I understand the inclusions.

I agree that they could have left out Peace Tree and Twisted Vine. Backpocket seems to be getting better but still not in love with them. I checked out Alluvial a few weeks ago and it was really good for how new it is.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I agree that they could have left out Peace Tree and Twisted Vine. Backpocket seems to be getting better but still not in love with them. I checked out Alluvial a few weeks ago and it was really good for how new it is.

Peace Tree should be on there for Blonde Fatale alone. One of the best brews in the state. I agree Backpocket has a good argument to be on there as well. They have a lot of good options.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Peace Tree should be on there for Blonde Fatale alone. One of the best brews in the state. I agree Backpocket has a good argument to be on there as well. They have a lot of good options.

[video=youtube;kNGUYpLCSbU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGUYpLCSbU[/video]

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Love me some Big Grove Brewery. Cool place to go in general too.

I used to work with one of the owners. He is a great guy. Years and years of culinary experience and he just loves to play with different brews. I wish it was closer to me, I enjoy eating there.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
West O Brewery, probably should have made the cut. Their stout won gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival last year in Denver.

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
Come and try the Rustic Brew in Hampton, IA!

Hampton, IA is located 30 miles south of Mason City along Hwy 65!

It is a great place to hang out, with a great selection of Micro Brews on tap.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Both Alluvial and Torrent are good and great additions to Ames. IPA's are great at both, especially liked Torrent's DIPA. Have yet to try all the brews at both, plus they are constantly adding new ones.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006

I'm with you there. Blonde Fatale is some real good stuff.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Confluence's Des Moines IPA is my go to at all the better local places that carry good beer.

Firetrucker Tropical Burn Mango Double IPA is my favorite local craft beer right now.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Help Support Us

Become a patron