That's Why You Foul

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I don't think they wanted to try to box out Withey and Young with Ejim and Clyburn or a cold Gibson or Booker off the bench. Way to easy for KU to make a FT and then have one of those guys tip the miss out for a wide-open game-winning three.
I would choose that possibility 100% of the time over even the small chance of McLemore getting open for a 3.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I wasnt able to watch the game, but I just looked at the box score and I completely agree with you guys. You do not let a guy that was 5 for 5 from the arc take the final shot. Foul somebody else and make you beat them that way.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If ISU defends that illegal screen that Releford set well at all, McLemore doesn't even get that good a shot. I think it was the right decision.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Um, Iowa state wasn't making free throws. You foul with more than 5 seconds left, they make 2 foul shots and then foul us, we miss and Kansas gets a game winning **** opportunity. Key here is make free throws and you win, we didnt and lost because Kansas has great players that make great plays. Great effort by our guys, they have the potential to be better than last year. No one expected to win this game yet many of you freak out, be disappointed but hopeful based on what you saw which was a great performance by Niang, Lucious and Clyburn. I like this teams chances to compete for top 4 in conference.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Let me think... 3 pointer is about 35% odds. Fouling, having them hit two and us hitting 1 or less, followed by them hitting another 3 to win or 2 to tie under all under about 3 seconds is a whole lot less than 35%.

We did about the stupidest thing we could have done. Love Fred, too bad he had to learn the hard way. This could be the difference between dancing or not in this very early season. That win would have been huge.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
From Dean Berhow-Gall on Twitter, Iowa State Daily sports reporter at the game:

@DeanBG Hoiberg said he thought about fouling, but with the small lineup, he didn't want that to happen in case they missed the FT and got O reb.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Let me think... 3 pointer is about 35% odds. Fouling, having them hit two and us hitting 1 or less, followed by them hitting another 3 to win or 2 to tie under all under about 3 seconds is a whole lot less than 35%.

We did about the stupidest thing we could have done. Love Fred, too bad he had to learn the hard way. This could be the difference between dancing or not in this very early season. That win would have been huge.

In this situation, the chance of them making a 3 is a whole lot less than 35%. That's what great 3-pt shooting teams shoot when have an entire shot clock, the option of shooting a two for the defense to consider, and far less forced shot selection.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yeah, go ahead and rip away on me. I can take it.

But anyone on here that thinks you shouldn't foul in that situation just plain doesn't understand the game. Fred did coach a good game up until the end, of course he did. But in the end, this game is no different than a 30 pt blowout... they are both L's.

You don't get many opportunities like this, and Fred p***ed it right down his leg. He came in with a great gameplan and it worked. And then he fumbled it away. He allowed KU a chance to tie the game up, which NEVER should have happened.

It is games like this that end up costing you trips to the NCAA Tournament in March. You can't have them back again.

Just like the Nebraska football game a few years back when we missed the fake extra point to win the game. I said at the time that that missed opportunity could cost us a bowl game, but everyone on here told me to shut up because we had something like 3 games left to get the one win we needed. And of course, we never did get that one more win, and didn't make a bowl game.

You MUST seize these opportunities when they are there. I just hope this game doesn't crush this team's morale going forward. This one could take a while to swallow for the guys. I hope not.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, go ahead and rip away on me. I can take it.

But anyone on here that thinks you shouldn't foul in that situation just plain doesn't understand the game. Fred did coach a good game up until the end, of course he did. But in the end, this game is no different than a 30 pt blowout... they are both L's.

You don't get many opportunities like this, and Fred p***ed it right down his leg. He came in with a great gameplan and it worked. And then he fumbled it away. He allowed KU a chance to tie the game up, which NEVER should have happened.

It is games like this that end up costing you trips to the NCAA Tournament in March. You can't have them back again.

Just like the Nebraska football game a few years back when we missed the fake extra point to win the game. I said at the time that that missed opportunity could cost us a bowl game, but everyone on here told me to shut up because we had something like 3 games left to get the one win we needed. And of course, we never did get that one more win, and didn't make a bowl game.

You MUST seize these opportunities when they are there. I just hope this game doesn't crush this team's morale going forward. This one could take a while to swallow for the guys. I hope not.

Well, if you can take it, take it and go away.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
This loss is absolutely on Fred and the staff. You just have to foul there...you don't even give them the chance to go into OT, especially at Phog.

Agree wholeheartedly. You cannot give them a chance to take that shot. Make them make their free throws, then let them foul us. Then maybe they have three seconds to get a half court shot up.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You have to ask, even if we didn't want to foul, why in the **** did we have guys standing BEHIND the screeners? Did we give a flying **** if they drove for a two point basket with 2 seconds left in the game?!?!?!?
Yep, I think Fred needs to work on this aspect of the game at this point. Do not let it happen again. We did have decent rebounders left in the game. If he could choose his poison next time, I think he would have someone foul.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I am not sure it is a mistake. I think it is personal preference. What happens if he makes one FT, then misses, KU has a 7 footer on the floor, bats it out and they got a chance to win then. Odds are not great that happens, but neiter are the odds they they make a desperation bank 3. I actually prefer to keep in in my control and and just get a stop.

Just get a stop and you win.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am not sure it is a mistake. I think it is personal preference. What happens if he makes one FT, then misses, KU has a 7 footer on the floor, bats it out and they got a chance to win then. Odds are not great that happens, but neiter are the odds they they make a desperation bank 3. I actually prefer to keep in in my control and and just get a stop.

Just get a stop and you win.
So, then we go to overtime. Believe the best statistical strategy is make the foul. You just have a statistically better chance to win.

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
I have no doubt we would have won if we would have fouled before McLemore's 3 point shot. I do not understand why more coaches don't do this, especially with somebody like him on the court. Great effort (pre OT) from our guys tonight.

Standing in the bar, can't hear the game, everyone in there immediately said 'foul'. Foul!!!! Niang fouled out, we need to foul. With Niang in the game, maybe you do it different, but Niang was out. We didn't foul and the guy that has been on fire banks in a 3. Exactly as you'd have to expect. We all called the foul with 8 seconds to go. Damn!!

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Listen to the post game. There is a reason he did what he did. He is so far ahead of you gusy its laughable.

And to the poster above.... if you think there is an easy answer to that situation, and if you don't think teams have lost both ways doing that, or seen it happen both ways...then you don't understand basketball.

Help Support Us

Become a patron