That burnt out feeling...

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Ha ha, because China/Korea/SE Asia/India are closed right now get a little down time.
Christmas will be saved.. (Save Christmas is a running joke from Family and friends since I pretty much don't spent time with either last 3 weeks)

Don't worry though, the PS4 virtual reality goggles will get there in time to spoil kids minds. (Anybody test these things out, freaking amazing)

Challenges are what make working interesting...

Ohh thanks for reminding me. Own some Gamestop stock that would really tank if they can't sell those expensive things by Christmas. Sounds like a real mess as ZeroHedge and the PBS nightly business report have reported on the problem. Can't believe that the sailors would just be stranded because the company is afraid the ship would get confiscated. I'd tell them that is a "you" problem, I'm getting off this rust bucket, lol.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
You could either get a mistress or buy a Corvette

Seriously though, you should get a different job. Either within or outside of your current company. Life's too short

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Ohh thanks for reminding me. Own some Gamestop stock that would really tank if they can't sell those expensive things by Christmas. Sounds like a real mess as ZeroHedge and the PBS nightly business report have reported on the problem. Can't believe that the sailors would just be stranded because the company is afraid the ship would get confiscated. I'd tell them that is a "you" problem, I'm getting off this rust bucket, lol.

Some ships have been arrested, I know of a couple that have lots of nice Korean made TV's on them. There might be some nice sales in December when some of this stuff actually gets to the stores. Instant mark downs.

Ports won't work the ships unless they get paid up front. Ships cannot go through Panama/Suez canals cuz those places require payment up front for all ships before they can cross. So most just sit anchored somewhere

Retailers probably have to pay air freight to get cargo here. To give you an idea of how much airfreight might be needed a 747 freighter can handle 10 ocean containers. At last count three were like 200,000 containers stuck. (Not everything needs to be flown though)

For those interested just google Hanjin Shipping,

Apologies for hijacking thread...

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Seriously though, you should get a different job. Either within or outside of your current company. Life's too short

It ain't that easy. I've been looking since 2010. No one casts a glance at anyone over 50. My only solace until I retire is that a rotten job has better benefits than no job.

• Agree
Reactions: dcxme1183

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
to give a bit of background on my "yep, been there."

I went through what I joked was my "quarter life crisis" about 12-18 months into my post-college career. Dreaded Mondays, hated the idea that this was my life for the next 40+ years, dreaded interacting with one of my managers, constantly scrolled through job offerings.......but never applied. Husband and I were new to the area and pretty much had no friends nearby, and just went home after work. Our hobbies are pretty easy to do from home so we didn't go out much. At some point we started hanging out with some of his work friends and doing events together. We joined a gym and actually went. Friend group expanded and we developed a life outside of work, go home, sleep. My role at work shifted a bit and I got a new manager who I liked working with SO much more. I got to be involved on some new and interesting projects.

So for me, I think it was the combination of my role at work becoming more interesting + developing a life outside of work that really made a difference for me. A job change was not necessary and I suspect would not have fixed several of the issues I had.

Contrast that with my husband who after a few years into his role - had an overload of stress, way too many hours, a shift away from what he started in and had enjoyed to an area he did not enjoy. Add in the fact that most of his coworkers were leaving (increasing his workload), and there appeared to be no light at the end for when things would become more reasonable......a job change was absolutely necessary to combat his burnout.

He took a new job for a slight paycut and it's the best thing he's ever done. He's done so well at the new place - 2.5 years in and he's had multiple promotions, pay raises, bonuses, likes what he does and he's so, so much happier and I think that's clearly reflected in his job performance.

So tl:dr: you'll probably have to do some self-reflection to decide if the changes you seek will be gained by a job change.

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
I started riding a bicycle. It's my therapy now. My wife understands it. It's great for working out. Meeting new people. Anytime I'm down about something I ride. I come back home a couple hours later a new person.

Also find some hobbies away from work.
I started riding a bicycle. It's my therapy now. My wife understands it. It's great for working out. Meeting new people. Anytime I'm down about something I ride. I come back home a couple hours later a new person.

I thought about trying out biking. Have a few friends that bike and they love it. Sounds like a great stress reliever.

Reactions: bellzisu

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
You tell that slimy piece of worm ridden filth you'll get such inspiration from us.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DDD93FF0D198A9B7A1D6DDD93FF0D198A9B&FORM=VIRE

On that note I am in the same boat as you and have been for awhile. I changed jobs within my company a couple of years ago. Worked for about a year and now have I feel pretty beat down. I am researching things to do for myself like buying a business or really getting into real estate. I hope to get out soon.

BTW, I would love if I was asked to leave and given a severance package out the door.

Wow - sounds like the way I've felt... do we work for the same company? :eek:

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
It'll almost certainly pass, as I go through that periodically. Finding a hobby will help. I'm a fan of Anthony Robbins "Awaken the giant within" just for the fact that it gets you to reassess things and examine them in a different light (and to take some action). He's kind of goofy, and I started to watch his Netflix show and turned it off because he's got a fairly off-putting approach now, but that book was really good for me.

I'll check it out - thanks for the recommendation!

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
1. How long have you been in your current position and the workforce in total?
2. What do you like about your current role? Besides the fact that it pays the bills?
3. If looking for something new, what would you want out of that role? More responsibility, more variety, less stress, etc.
4. Can you get your answers from #3 from your current company? Could you talk to your manager about advancement opportunities or new projects you could be involved in? Are there currently things going on in your company that you think "yeah, I'd like to be a part of that."
5. Do you have hobbies outside of work?
6. Do you see friends often outside of work?
7. Do you currently exercise at all?

If you are going to work each day and then spending most of your time at home not putting any time into hobbies, friends, self-improvement, etc......that's a great recipe for burnout, imo. And not something likely to be remedied by a new role.

1. Current position two years in December. Graduated from ISU in 2010 and been with the same company since October 2010, so I guess six years of "professional" workforce, but i worked in high school and throughout college.

2. I like some of the people I work with, most of the time :) . I guess I would say I'm indifferent about the day to day aspect of my job; I'm not saving lives or finding cures or anything like that. It's been pretty relaxed, non stressful - which is probably the problem and the reason for my boredom and lack of motivation...

3. More responsibility, more variety, something where I can see direct correlation to the work I put in vs. the results and impact my work has. I'm the type of person where I'd rather be busy doing something meaningful.

4. A. Possibly. There are always advancement opportunities within the company (on my 4th position now), but it all kinda funnels together and lately I've just felt like I don't want to be a part of it any longer. B. My current role is pretty defined, i.e, reoccurring monthly projects, reporting, reviews, analysis, etc. Basically what I'm doing now is what the role is. Sure I could reach out and get more involved though.

5. Family, Friends, Golf, Running, Reading, Movies, Coach youth little league in spring/summer and basketball in fall/winter, Everything ISU :)

6. 1x per week dinner with 10-15 family members, weekly meet up w/ the boys to watch the football game, tailgaiting and going to games, etc.

7. I run everyday, nothing crazy but a couple miles in the mornings to start the day. Been thinking about joining a new gym in town with a personal trainer, scheduled workout classes, etc.

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
I'm a firm believer that if you get to a point where you aren't looking forward to your job when you get up in the morning, if you're bored, uninspired, etc then it's time to start looking for another job. You spend so much time at your job, if you aren't happy it's gonna bleed into your personal life. It's just not worth that. If you really like the company, the benefits, or there isn't anything similar to your current job in your market that is hiring, try doing a reboot...take a week or two off (if you can) and 100% unplug from everything with your job. See how you feel when you've stepped away for a bit.

I agree 100% - and yes, it has started to bleed into my personal life. I keep hearing people say life it too short, you need to do what makes you happy, etc. Maybe I'm just afraid of the unknown if I attempt to make a change.

I have some PTO stashed away, may take an upcoming week off and see how I feel. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
I was in the same boat this last spring. But, it was full on "hate my job". It got so bad I quit without another job. Took a couple of months to decompress, spend more time with my family, do some things around the house. I have a few connections that I was able to find something rather quickly that is exactly what I want to do for the remainder of my career, and I could not be happier.

Now I understand doing what I did is not feasible for everyone, but it's amazing what it can do to your stress level, outlook, sex life, attitude, sleep ability, energy level if you can. I cannot remember the last time I was this happy and content. Maybe when I was 8.

Haven't got to that point yet - I don't think I have the guts to quit without something else lined up. Great to hear the gamble worked out for you :)

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
I went through exactly what you're talking about recently. I quit a job I liked (for personal reasons) and took a new job. The new job did not fit and I knew it at about 2 months in. I really struggled to find a purpose in that job. It was a good company with good people, but it just didn't fit me. I had to dig deep into what I wanted in life and in work. It took a lot of reflection and outward study/exploration to find what I really wanted. I'm in month 2 of a new job and I'm loving it.

Steps I recommend:
  1. Spend some time in a quiet place with a notepad. Think about your "why". Ask yourself why you do you what you do. What do you want in life? Why do you want it? As the old saying goes "A strong why can get you through any what"
  2. Talk to someone, maybe even multiple people. Seek out wisdom both inside and outside your current company. Talk to respected family members and friends. People are willing to help, you just need to ask.
  3. Make your decisions based on hope, not fear. Many people stay stuck in crappy jobs because they're afraid of change. There's good fear and bad fear, don't give into the bad fear.
Books I can recommend:
  • The Art of Work by Jeff Goins: Talks a lot about finding your "calling". It was a great read when I was going through what you are.
  • Quitter by Jon Acuff: I haven't read this one myself, but it's on my list
PM me if you want to talk more

Thanks for the advice. Your suggestions are great. One thing I know I struggle with is talking about it. I just feel like 99% of people would be like "everyone hates their job - get over it." "Just put your 40 in and get to the weekend", etc. I can definitely say I've stayed in my job out of fear - fear of change and fear of the unknown. Thanks for the book recommendations - will check out for sure. Glad to hear thing are going well for you - thanks for sharing your story!

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
the thing about these answers is it doens't change the 8+ hours a day people are at the job they don't like. riding a bike is great but it doens't change the constant dread of sitting in an unchallenging or bored environment for most of the week.
We have a job that we're not happy doing in order to buy stuff we don't need and won't use in order to make us happy. And when that doesn't work we buy other things we don't need and don't use hoping it will do the trick. But if we cut out that crap and simplify, and really think about what we're passionate about, could we then be happy? I've been in this loop for awhile now. Searching for the meaning of life and happiness therein...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Echo his comments. Evaluate your work-life balance and either find some stimulating project or work-type thing at work and dive in, or even BETTER find some outside interest and devote your time and passion to it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I am in the process of saving Christmas, ( a major steamship line filed bankruptcy and containers are stuck on ships all over the world) I think jobs need to present challenges or they do become mundane. Sounds like your job does not present you any major hurdles.

Right now have lots of headaches trying to get a container out of China, Korea, etc but love it.

Because of time difference my hours suddenly shifted from day to more night, for the short term. So have to adjust personal calendars too.

Dude - where's my chinese sneakers and kobe beef?

• Funny
Reactions: fsanford

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
to give a bit of background on my "yep, been there."

I went through what I joked was my "quarter life crisis" about 12-18 months into my post-college career. Dreaded Mondays, hated the idea that this was my life for the next 40+ years, dreaded interacting with one of my managers, constantly scrolled through job offerings.......but never applied. Husband and I were new to the area and pretty much had no friends nearby, and just went home after work. Our hobbies are pretty easy to do from home so we didn't go out much. At some point we started hanging out with some of his work friends and doing events together. We joined a gym and actually went. Friend group expanded and we developed a life outside of work, go home, sleep. My role at work shifted a bit and I got a new manager who I liked working with SO much more. I got to be involved on some new and interesting projects.

So for me, I think it was the combination of my role at work becoming more interesting + developing a life outside of work that really made a difference for me. A job change was not necessary and I suspect would not have fixed several of the issues I had.

Contrast that with my husband who after a few years into his role - had an overload of stress, way too many hours, a shift away from what he started in and had enjoyed to an area he did not enjoy. Add in the fact that most of his coworkers were leaving (increasing his workload), and there appeared to be no light at the end for when things would become more reasonable......a job change was absolutely necessary to combat his burnout.

He took a new job for a slight paycut and it's the best thing he's ever done. He's done so well at the new place - 2.5 years in and he's had multiple promotions, pay raises, bonuses, likes what he does and he's so, so much happier and I think that's clearly reflected in his job performance.

So tl:dr: you'll probably have to do some self-reflection to decide if the changes you seek will be gained by a job change.

Great story - thanks for sharing. Glad things have worked out for you both.

I try to lead a pretty active live outside of work. I posted a response to another CF'er, but I spend a lot of time golfing, running, going to and watching sporting events, coaching youth sports, meeting the boys for a beer, etc. There aren't too many nights where it's go to work, come home, eat dinner, watch 2 hours of drab on TV, go to bed - thankfully. That would probably make my feeling much worse. As far as work goes, it's a combination of the people I work with, what it is I'm doing (lack of gratification/feeling of helpfulness and importance to others), and the day to day boredom of log on to the computer, click buttons, have meetings about meetings, lunch, repeat. I do think a change is in order, and I agree some self-reflection is key - thanks for the advice!

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
I was in the exact same boat working at an insurance company. Just decided to go back to school and get my teaching certification and am now student teaching. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge or you will go absolutely crazy, I got really tired of coming home and being miserable because I knew I had to go back to the office the next day.

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
We have a job that we're not happy doing in order to buy stuff we don't need and won't use in order to make us happy. And when that doesn't work we buy other things we don't need and don't use hoping it will do the trick. But if we cut out that crap and simplify, and really think about what we're passionate about, could we then be happy? I've been in this loop for awhile now. Searching for the meaning of life and happiness therein...

+1 -- this exactly.