That about sums it up for Matt's drive

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
The process. Won't chase 5 star egos. It works.

Cool article, thanks for sharing! CMC's point about holding kids accountable is great, that you can do it but that the kids need to know that you care about them for it to be effective. Goes pretty much perfectly with everything I think I've heard any players say about CMC and what he's built here (and hopefully continues to build.)

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Is it strange to anyone else to see him called by just his first name as if people are on a first name basis with him?
Not strange, but didn't see. Did you get enough sleep last night?

If I did see what you are referring to, I think 'Matt' probably likes an informal relationship.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Everytime Wakefield and Kehres get brought up I have to chime in on my post a while back on what I think drives Campbell and all these interviews and articles are just a better way than I could’ve ever articulated

Speaking of Mount Union, it got me thinking.

Attitude and effort.

Unless you follow D3 or are from an area with a D3 powerhouse you wouldn’t know much about them but Mount Union is where a good chunk of our coaching staff came from, they were all assistants or played for a man named Larry Kehres.

Larry is one of if not the winningest coach in NCAA history. From 1986-2012 he lost 23 games, 10 of which were in the first 4 years, 5 in the national championship game, and 7 others in the playoffs. He’s a winning machine. Won 11 national titles (3 while CMC was a player and 2 while he was a coach). He preaches about getting guys of all shapes sizes and talent and is able to win football games like it's nothing. Why?

Attitude and effort.

Kehres has a whole mantra of attitude and effort being more important than talent because those don’t require talent to be successful at. It reminds me of a lot of a particular high school coach... Keith Wakefield. That’s a name I expect no one to know but he was Campbell’s high school coach. Wakefield has a similar mantra and is one of the winningest coaches in Ohio High School history. In fact just a couple years ago he took back over the Perry football team and went from winless to state runners up in two seasons. You know why?

Attitude and effort.

Let me talk about Perry real quick. People don't realize Perry is in Massillon Ohio. Yes, that Massillon. The one that ESPN fawns over every HOF game. This is the town that gives the children footballs with a big block orange M on it when they are born. That High School (Massillon Washington) has a multi-million dollar indoor practice facility, I'm not kidding... look at this thing:

pd_1b.jpg

Campbell grew up in Massillon. He had the opportunity to go to Massillon Washington or to Massillon Perry. He chose Perry and won 3 League championships doing it too.

Matt Campbell is ******* wired different. He has a chip on his shoulder for no reason other than attitude and effort.

Maybe I talked myself into him staying forever here but I am just happy to be here for the ride.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Oh OK. That does make sense to me then. I just didn't see it anywhere else.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I’m referring to the title of the thread.
About the sleep, I was referring to something you posted about a week ago at 1am. You or someone, thought it was wrong. Seemed OK to me. Normal to post late like that for me.