Thank You Jon Miller

Wallacelantz

Dec 30, 2008
Jon I wanted to say thanks for ending that call this morning. I tune in to hear sports. I do not blame Steve for the call, but he needed to drop it as soon as the call was over. That call should have never made it past the screener. Thanks for keeping the show on track.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Jon, Thank you for making me spit protien shake out my nose yesterday when one of you made the comment that Taco Bell was basically selling enemas in a tortilla. Oh wait maybe that was your partner.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
I would say bad job out of the call screener. Everybody knew going in that the risk of having Deace on was that things might digress into politics and religion, instead of sports. Neither of those two calls should have ever seen the light of day, in my opinion.

Deace's reaction, I think, was pretty normal. The first guy wanted to accuse him of being a Republican mouthpiece, which is proof positive that he has never listened his WHO radio show. Deace is certainly a conservative, but no friend of the Republican party (but then what true conservative is a friend of the spineless Republican party...sorry, but I digress). It is unfortunate that the call screaner even let the "Nancy Pelosi caller" onto the air. If he didn't think that would even further complicate things, he has to be pretty darned naive.

I agree that I would rather see the show stay to sports and quite honestly, when Deace sarcastically mentioned the fact that "Beat It" isn't about sports, I agree with him. Maybe I'm different than some, but when I listen to sports talk, I want sports. I don't want a music contest, I don't want movie reviews, I want sports...period.

It was just unfortunate. If I were management, I would first and foremost, hae a sitdown with the call screener. This episode should never have happened. Unfortunately, it turned out to be some of the worst radio I have heard in a long time.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I wouldn't pile everything on the call screener....unless maybe he confirmed that he knew they would be yacking about politics. The callers can easily tell him that they're going to name Jamie Pollard as the loser of the week, and then get on the air and do a complete 180.

I don't mind occasional political talk. Not a big fan of the music segment. Politic talk is OK in small doses. My concern, and I'm sure its Jon's as well....is if you let one or two guys get Deace riled up on politics, its going to cause all the other political nuts to call in to try to continue the conversation.

Wallacelantz

Dec 30, 2008
It was just unfortunate. If I were management, I would first and foremost, hae a sitdown with the call screener. This episode should never have happened. Unfortunately, it turned out to be some of the worst radio I have heard in a long time.

I agree 100%

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Deace was being a jerk to Jon. He was talking down to him. "Well when I have a new co-host in 6 months you'll know that you don't stop callers from saying what they want to say". What a jerk thing to say. Jon has sead all along that politics wasn't going to be involved in this show and he is correct. Deace needs to realize that he is on the radio in Des Moines, Iowa which doesn't make him god.

Reactions: ISUFan22

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I agree. In most cases, I'll side with Steve because he leans more toward the Cyclone side, but he's wrong here. Save the politics for 4pm. Deace has the talent and knowledge to be one of the best sports talk guys out there...IF he keeps politics and religion out of it.

I don't mind "Beat It" because it is fun and this is now the slow time of the year. But politics and religion aren't fun topics, they are emotional and argumentative topics. They have no place on sports radio.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I LOVE discussing politics, but not on sports talk radio. There's a place for it and that wasn't it. The caller was making us feel like he was going to bring it back to sports somehow and never did. I am in the minority because I like Steve Deace a lot, but he was really annoying me acting like a baby because Jon ended the call.

Steve is my friday loser.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
People can lie, so you really can't blame the call screener. I'm a huge talk radio guy, but I wasn't in the mood for some idiot who obviously doesn't know Deace and his "un"relationship with the Republican machine.

The caller could have waited till 4:00 to spout his stupidity and ignorance.

I completely understand Steve's reaction though, because he was a dog ready to fight this one.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think politics that relate to sports are fine, but not politics in general.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
"The caller could have waited till 4:00 to spout his stupidity and ignorance."

There you go, Landshark. The caller was "The Loser of the Week."

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
Totally agree. Great job, Jon, I am proud of the way you handled that situation. Although you don't follow the right team, you are the professional of the relationship and I commend you for it.

Deace was such a cry baby afterwards it made me lose a little respect for the guy. Get your head in the game, man. You are going to lose more listeners by talking politics than cutting one ranting, biased listener off who is knowingly way off topic. Get real.

It's a great show on paper (I can never get enough Cy-Hawk talk) but here's a message to Steve: DON'T BLOW IT.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Deace was being a jerk to Jon. He was talking down to him. "Well when I have a new co-host in 6 months you'll know that you don't stop callers from saying what they want to say". What a jerk thing to say. Jon has sead all along that politics wasn't going to be involved in this show and he is correct. Deace needs to realize that he is on the radio in Des Moines, Iowa which doesn't make him god.

I agree with Deace's stand on politics and religion (minus the judgemental crap), but what he did this morning was wrong. The caller was obviously doing it to be a dbag knowing full well his intentions to derail Deace and he did. Deace should have dropped it but turned into a total *** bag and I take Jon's side on this one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron