Texas Fans at the game last night...

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
There were three Texas fans in front of us, a man, his grown son, and the son's wife. The wife was kinda annoying for the first few drives of the game.

They were very quiet in the second half. They rode with a Clone fan, and kept asking to leave. She wanted to stay . . .

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
the 5 next to me were well behaved. Had some good conversation with the guy sitting right next to me on the changing QB's, just how big Sweat is, and how disappointing big 12 refs are in general. (Lots of stoppage in play, not realizing Isheem was down with the ball before running towards endzone celebrating, etc). Although a guy a couple down accidentally spilled his nachos (and cheese) on the lady in front of him.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
On a positive note:

I was exiting the stadium at the same time that the Texas band was leaving on the NW side. All of the young men & women that I saw interacting with Cyclone fans were respectful & polite. (lots of "excuse me" & "sorry" as they made their way to the buses.) Of course they weren't attempting to march off in formation while playing their instruments... ISU fans were also cordial to the band students. Great to see!!

No assault took place that I witnessed.

A friend of mine was in the Longhorn Marching Band that came here (I think in 2015 or 2017). She said ISU fans were the nicest they'd encountered as a visiting band. She was also impressed with the tailgate lots and the number of times they were offered beer and food while walking to the stadium.

Reactions: farm85

cyclones7

May 17, 2010
There were three Texas fans in front of us, a man, his grown son, and the son's wife. The wife was kinda annoying for the first few drives of the game.

They were very quiet in the second half. They rode with a Clone fan, and kept asking to leave. She wanted to stay . . .

Are you in Section 4? Around mid 30's. I think those were the people behind us. She kept screaming kill them. Finally I told her in the 2nd half "we are". She didn't say it again.. We talked more after that. They were pretty nice. Just moved to Iowa from Texas..

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Agreed. There is a group of old rich guys that come down to the Big 12 Tourney in KC every year and sit together in their orange shirts. A lot of them usually stay at the same hotel we do and they are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Always say hi and will chat up anyone, even when we talk football while sitting at the hotel bar after hours. It's just the idiot message board haters that we usually see -> and let's be honest, we have a lot of those too.
Yeah, we always look for them, too. We'd often see them (and wives) are in the Classic Cup restaurant in the Plaza when we ate breakfast there. And of course in the Sprint Center, as it was formerly known.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
My friend was between me and a couple texas fans. I didn't hear what was being said but apparently the wife didn't appreciate all the trolling from the iowa state fans and was complaining pretty much the whole 2nd half. She also offered to take their picture early on as the wife was struggling to get a good selfie, but she refused the offer.

As another group was walking out mid 4th quarter a bunch of fans started singing the "nah nah nah nah good bye" to them. They were good sports and waved as they walked down the stairs.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Are you in Section 4? Around mid 30's. I think those were the people behind us. She kept screaming kill them. Finally I told her in the 2nd half "we are". She didn't say it again.. We talked more after that. They were pretty nice. Just moved to Iowa from Texas..

That's probably about were they were. I didn't go check the row number . . .

She seemed nice, but very fired up. o_O

kcbob79clone

I've said it before.

Iowans like to think they are nice, but Texans actually are.

Some of the nicest folks I ever met when I lived in the Republic
We've traveled the country and have run into a lot of Texas fans. They see our ISU plates and we'll talk about football, basketball, living in Texas, etc. Some if the nicest folks we've met while full-timing.

• Agree
Reactions: joefrog

Ostateman1

Oct 31, 2021
Funny story:

Went to the bathroom last night in the 4th quarter and it was me, Texas fan, and ISU fan on the other side of him. Texas fan was probably about 6'6" 280 and had a fancy looking white ten gallon hat on.

ISU fan: "That's a sweet hat man"
Texas fan (deep southern drawl): "Thank you son"
ISU fan: "I'm kidding" and just walks away

It's just me and Texas fan for another 10 seconds after that while I'm crying laughing
That's pretty sophomoric, don't you think? How old are you?

Ostateman1

Oct 31, 2021
The Texas fans take themselves so seriously. It's kinda bizarre to see in person. They were pretty quiet in our section last night, but they didn't have anything to get cocky about.
I think most of them are simply in shock. After losing 4 games after holding leads in each of those games. They're just comfortably numb.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That's pretty sophomoric, don't you think? How old are you?
If I was wearing something large in an opposing stadium that clearly drew attention to myself, I would thoroughly expect to get sh*t from other fans.

Ostateman1

Oct 31, 2021
If I was wearing something large in an opposing stadium that clearly drew attention to myself, I would thoroughly expect to get sh*t from other fans.
Well, it certainly won't be your ego drawing said attention.
Overall win-loss records among Big 12 football teams since 2012: OU: 105-22 OSU: 85-38 Baylor: 75-46 KSU: 73-48 TCU: 72-49 Texas: 69-52 (LOL) West Virginia: 66-53 Texas Tech: 56-63 Iowa State: 54-66 KU: 17-96 (no surprise)

• Dumb
Reactions: DurangoCy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Well, it certainly won't be your ego drawing said attention.
Overall win-loss records among Big 12 football teams since 2012: OU: 105-22 OSU: 85-38 Baylor: 75-46 KSU: 73-48 TCU: 72-49 Texas: 69-52 (LOL) West Virginia: 66-53 Texas Tech: 56-63 Iowa State: 54-66 KU: 17-96 (no surprise)
giphy.gif

Reactions: DurangoCy

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You should read what Texas fans think about you guys. Now that's comedy I'm sure you'll agree with.
A) Not a guy
B) My sister is a Longhorn, her husband and my father are Aggies.
C) Spent most of my childhood summers on the Hill Country ranch where my father was born & raised.

I pretty much know what I'm talking about when I refer to urban cowboys, because I know the ranchers. And they don't wear gigantic white hats. How many Iowa farmers wear white shirts & white bibs???

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well gee, gang - @Ostateman1 joined on 31 October and all of his posts have been on UT threads except an early stab at clever in the cave.
Think I'm gonna take his lectures with a grain of salt. Or maybe a bag of salt...