Teske Transferring From PSU?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Willie from Flo had a tweet that Teske was transferring from Penn State. Thread on BWI about it too and they don't seem surprised. Chances he ends up at Iowa State (if true), and chances he can make 125?

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/willie-says-teske-is-leaving.236080/

If true, it was not difficult to see this being a potential eventuality. I understand the Penn State draw.

As far as Teske and Iowa State...I would have loved to have had him straight out of high school. Absolutely loved it. And I’m not 100% convinced Reeves will ever be big enough at 125 when it’s his turn.

That said...Reeves is an absolute bulldog, with a chip on his shoulder and WANTS to wear cardinal and gold.

I’m happy with the future at 125 as it stands today.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was told that 133 is Teske's new weight. 125 is no longer

With Gomez, Anderson, Small, Mackall and all the guys at 125/133/141 I just don't see a huge opportunity for Teske. Isn't Mackall a Junior next year, if he was a senior then I could potentially see an opening, but not in the current situation.

Maybe UNI or Minnesota?

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Heard this at Big 12s I believe he may have interest in us from what I was hearing not sure if the interest is mutual

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
With Gomez, Anderson, Small, Mackall and all the guys at 125/133/141 I just don't see a huge opportunity for Teske. Isn't Mackall a Junior next year, if he was a senior then I could potentially see an opening, but not in the current situation.

Maybe UNI or Minnesota?

Yeah we also have the Russian as an option in those weights. I would happily take Teske (depending on scholarship money needed) as depth is always a good thing. Iron sharpens iron and it never hurts to have too many guys.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah we also have the Russian as an option in those weights. I would happily take Teske (depending on scholarship money needed) as depth is always a good thing. Iron sharpens iron and it never hurts to have too many guys.

I agree, that if you can land a good wrestler that you do it. I just don't him looking at it and seeing as good of an opportunity to wrestle here right now. Odd part is, if he had committed and came right away, I think we would not possibly have a wrestler that we currently have and it may had made the possibility of earlier mat time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Heard this at Big 12s I believe he may have interest in us from what I was hearing not sure if the interest is mutual

He is good enough to land a solid scholarship from a Northern Colorado or Campbell team, if he wants to be at one of those is a big question. I don't know what our schooly situation looks like, but being in-state would save a lot of money if he wasn't getting at least a half ride somewhere.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Have to see what the scholarship money is at like @stuclone said. He would be a good addition to the room but there are other spots that we are in much more need of at this point. Be "financially" wise to focus on those spots first but hey "In Dresser We Trust"

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
If Gomez does happen to take an Olympic redshirt this year- as was mentioned as a possibility on a Flo Wrestling podcast, Teske and Small would be solid options for this coming season and would probably be able to win a match or 2 at NCAAs next season

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
He is good enough to land a solid scholarship from a Northern Colorado or Campbell team, if he wants to be at one of those is a big question. I don't know what our schooly situation looks like, but being in-state would save a lot of money if he wasn't getting at least a half ride somewhere.
He would and should be getting offers from a lot more than just Northern Co and Campbell. Remember, this kid was one of the best to do it in the state of Iowa in the last 10 years.

That being said, Reeves is a hammer. I am glad we have Reeves coming in. But don't think that Minnesota, Oklahoma, Arizona State (big-time schools) wouldn't throw money at Teske. He took a couple losses as a true freshman this year, but that is part of the development process. We have a lot of guys of similar talent at 125/133 now with Gomez, Mackall, Reeves, Cabanban, and Todd Small. I wouldn't mind seeing Teske join the competition and let the cream rise to the top.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He would and should be getting offers from a lot more than just Northern Co and Campbell. Remember, this kid was one of the best to do it in the state of Iowa in the last 10 years.

That being said, Reeves is a hammer. I am glad we have Reeves coming in. But don't think that Minnesota, Oklahoma, Arizona State (big-time schools) wouldn't throw money at Teske. He took a couple losses as a true freshman this year, but that is part of the development process. We have a lot of guys of similar talent at 125/133 now with Gomez, Mackall, Reeves, Cabanban, and Todd Small. I wouldn't mind seeing Teske join the competition and let the cream rise to the top.

Unfortunately the talent in Iowa isnt what it used to be. Carter happel is now a bench rider at Iowa. Marlin dropped off the face of the earth. Not all 4timers are lead pipe locks for good college wrestlers.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Unfortunately the talent in Iowa isnt what it used to be. Carter happel is now a bench rider at Iowa. Marlin dropped off the face of the earth. Not all 4timers are lead pipe locks for good college wrestlers.
Neither are 4-timers in any other state. Brandon Sorensen was pretty good in college. Teske and Alex Thomsen both have a chance to be pretty good. Max Thomsen at UNI has been solid despite some injuries he's battled through. Cory Clark turned out to be alright. Meeks, Marlin and Nick Moore were busts.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Neither are 4-timers in any other state. Brandon Sorensen was pretty good in college. Teske and Alex Thomsen both have a chance to be pretty good. Max Thomsen at UNI has been solid despite some injuries he's battled through. Cory Clark turned out to be alright. Meeks, Marlin and Nick Moore were busts.

I agree, just saying that you never know for certain. I didn’t watch teske enough to see if he was near his ceiling. If so, he wouldn’t be Cory Clark level. If he still has a lot of room to grow, maybe he jumps into a Gadsen level career.

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
If Gomez does happen to take an Olympic redshirt this year- as was mentioned as a possibility on a Flo Wrestling podcast, Teske and Small would be solid options for this coming season and would probably be able to win a match or 2 at NCAAs next season

Is Gomez eligible for an Olympic Redshirt? Can a wrestler get an Olympic Redshirt and wrestle for another country?

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Is Gomez eligible for an Olympic Redshirt? Can a wrestler get an Olympic Redshirt and wrestle for another country?

Criteria are:
  1. Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials)
  2. Top eight at the 2019 Senior U.S. Open
  3. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).
  4. Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist
I don't think he fits any of those, could still place top 8 at the US Open though.I think he would if he wrestles at it.

I believe you can take an Olympic RS and wrestle for another country, but he would still need to qualify for one. Micic said that he could take one and wrestle for Serbia in a post NCAA interview with Trackwrestling.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe and buf87