TCU postgame thread

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Ok. Let’s try this. Boise State is ranked higher that ISU. They have played four games this season, just like ISU. In their three games other than Oklahoma State, Brett Rypien has been sacked four times (1.33 sacks/gm). Against the Cowboys, he was sacked seven times (7.0 sacks/gm)!

I had no idea the OSU Cowboys were a defensive juggernaut, especially with their pedigree of NFL defensive linemen. heh

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
I'll be in the minority. Let's keep things in perspective. Zeb played really well against OU. He had 360 yards passing. I don't think it is a product of the ISU offense, but rather coming down to TCU a year after ISU destroyed their perfect season and play-off hopes. I saw a defensive struggle in which ISU came out short.
TCU turned it over 3x:
1 - short field TD
2 and 3 - Had ISU backed up deep. Poor field position.
No doubt this offense needs work, but we need to stop with all of the negativity. Remember, ISU was getting killed by TCU, OU, etc before Campbell. Now, ISU had chances to win vs OU, IA and TCU, even after the weird start to this season.

I guarantee they beat Ok ST next week and WVU goes down to the wire. Hope ISU comes out on top, but the progress is there.
Reality is we are in better shape, some things in offense need to be addressed invluding play calling and qb. But let's not be the fan base that gets a little success and then throws a hissy fit at every sign of adversity.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Some observations...

Francis should be kicking deep on every single kickoff.

Nwangwu should have more freedom to run the ball out of the endzone rather than taking a touchback a yard or two deep.

Offense has to get the ball to the playmaker out on the edge. Let's see some jet sweeps and more bubble screens.

Defense just needs to play better on 3rd downs.

Greg Eisworth is quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team. I think he has a ton of potential.

Will McDonald is gonna be a bad mofo once he gets up to 240-250. He and Rose were the only true freshmen that played tonight. If I'm not mistaken, Rose has played in all 4 games, McDonald in 2 games (still want him to redshirt), Anthony Johnson has played in 1 or 2 games and Gerry Vaughn in 2 games. Oh, and Purdy in 1 game. I'm pulling for him to beat out Zeb next year.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think Zeb's run was telling. TCU was not committing anyone to defending Zeb. A dual threat QB would have opened up the pass defense some.

I thought our guys played their hearts out. I can't believe peo pl e bashing our OLine. They were manhandling TCU down the stretch. Honestly Zebs inaccuracy in passing was the deal breaker in this game imo.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Reality is we are in better shape, some things in offense need to be addressed invluding play calling and qb. But let's not be the fan base that gets a little success and then throws a hissy fit at every sign of adversity.
Agreed. Every team and coaching staff goes back and looks at tape and realizes where adjustments need to be made.
I can't stand the rhetoric of, "Zeb Sucks," and "Our offense is trash" given the circumstances. Zeb played really well against OU. Nobody was saying this stuff then. One bad game, on the road against a good D and all of the sudden he, this offense and CMC are the worst.
Let's watch this season play out, see what adjustments are made next week and go from there.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
The start to the season is a long time ago. Bad tackling and angles were what the main problem was vs. OU, and haven't improved, and the offense looks like something you do in high school.
Yes and I think better angles happened tonight, just not tackling. Remember, despite the D having a lot of missed tackles, TCU only scored 10 on them.
This offense needs clearly throw some wrinkles in, but again, they were right there at the end.
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2002_schedules/ohiostate.htm
A lot of close games and low offensive outputs, but they won. Hope the point is clear: Have a game plan that gives you best chance for success and stick to it. This same offense produced 8-5 last year with opportunities to win more. Same is happening this year. I am sure once Campbell has more depth at the O-line, similar to the D-line we will see the change.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Program has really regressed from last year. Hope I am wrong but last year is really starting to look like an anomaly. We won the turnover battle by two against a team that is a middle of the pack Big 12 team and still lost. I don't think you can argue with the effort but TCU just has faster,stronger players than us and they will finish about 5th in conference. That means we are still bottom dwellers. We will beat KU and Baylor but I don't think they will be "easy" wins. We are looking at 5-7 at best this year. Very disappointing after last year but it is what it is.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm not sure I agree with this although the defense is certainly not bad.

More missed tackles and bad angles tonight in crucial situations.

The whole defensive scheme was predicated on preventing TCU's big play capability, while allowing some underneath stuff. It worked brilliantly, to the tune of 10 points. If you're not willing to at least allow that our defense played great, you are just determined to be negative.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
The other thing I didn't like was conceding the last 50s of the first half. We knew we were getting the ball back to start the first half; it was a chance to steal a meaningful possession. Yes, there is a chance of a turnover but the probability of a turnover that negatively changes the score is very small.

Such a small probability that it happened exactly two offensive plays later! (first drive of the second half). It was the right call to drain the clock at the end of the first half.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We knew this style/philosophy was Campbell's MO coming in. It's Iowa 2.0, which is great when you are winnning games 17-14, but makes you want to beat your head against a concrete wall when you are losing them 17-14.

I wouldn't say it's exactly Iowa 2.0, but I will allow that it's close.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Agreed. Every team and coaching staff goes back and looks at tape and realizes where adjustments need to be made.
I can't stand the rhetoric of, "Zeb Sucks," and "Our offense is trash" given the circumstances. Zeb played really well against OU. Nobody was saying this stuff then. One bad game, on the road against a good D and all of the sudden he, this offense and CMC are the worst.
Let's watch this season play out, see what adjustments are made next week and go from there.
Zeb does not suck but he is not in the same universe as OU's Murray or TCU's Robinson. Much easier to defend against a QB that is relatively slow and doesn't have a cannon for an arm.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The whole defensive scheme was predicated on preventing TCU's big play capability, while allowing some underneath stuff. It worked brilliantly, to the tune of 10 points. If you're not willing to at least allow that our defense played great, you are just determined to be negative.

Missed tackles and bad angles and giving up multiple big 3rd downs is not good defense, no matter how much of a positive spin you want.

10 points is good but what was going on between those 10 is not.

It's the strength of the team, so that's nice to have.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Missed tackles and bad angles and giving up multiple big 3rd downs is not good defense, no matter how much of a positive spin you want.

10 points is good but what was going on between those 10 is not.

It's the strength of the team, so that's nice to have.
299 yds and 10 points allowed with 3 turn overs generated should win every single game. Its not perfect but its unacceptable to not win that game with that defensive stat line.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Sorry Bro. Inadvertent quote.
Maybe one thing to consider is that this Iowa State defense is miles ahead of the bad Texas Tech defense you guys put 17 up on last week at home. You can tout your defense all you want but you can’t deny ours is better. Our offense might struggle, but the days of blowing out old Iowa State are probably over for you as long as Campbell is here. Last game we lost by more than 10 was West Virginia in November of 16. Campbell’s first year.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Zeb does not suck but he is not in the same universe as OU's Murray or TCU's Robinson. Much easier to defend against a QB that is relatively slow and doesn't have a cannon for an arm.
I believe you are looking at one game. THe rhetoric after last season is folks wanted to see Zeb because his arm is a cannon, especially compared to Kempt.
You can absolutely not put Robinson in that mold. He is far from a finished product.
It's not easy to defend as you say. IF so, he wouldn't have put up good numbers last year and played very well against OU. This was a tough, game against a good D on the road. Execution wasn't great, but the TEAM was put in a position to win the game.