Taylor Swift - Tortured Poets Department

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I can understand there are plenty of toxic males who do precisely what I was accused of but it's gone so over board with her. People hated Nickelback for the same reason, over exposure and marketing. It's not something only women have to deal with. Music just happens to be my passion so I have strong opinions. If you don't want to hear it I can totally understand but don't call me a women hater because I don't like Taylor Swift music.
I like Nickelback, I dislike Taylor Swift. I guess I’m a horrible human being.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I can understand there are plenty of toxic males who do precisely what I was accused of but it's gone so over board with her. People hated Nickelback for the same reason, over exposure and marketing. It's not something only women have to deal with. Music just happens to be my passion so I have strong opinions. If you don't want to hear it I can totally understand but don't call me a women hater because I don't like Taylor Swift music.
I frequently see people refer to her music as bubble gum, as you do, which I think means adolescent. There are plenty of women who are in their twenties and thirties who connect to her music. It means something to them. It isn’t childish to them. They connect to it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I frequently see people refer to her music as bubble gum, as you do, which I think means adolescent. There are plenty of women who are in their twenties and thirties who connect to her music. It means something to them. It isn’t childish to them. They connect to it.

I think "bubble gum" likely just refers to it being pop music.

Watch the Rick Beato clip I posted several posts back. He explains her music pretty well. It's not necessarily "bad", it's just very simple and just repeated over and over again. But that doesn't mean it doesn't still move people or is any less enjoyable. It's just not the Beatles as far as complexity, musicianship, etc.

Music is art. Enjoyment of art is all in the eye of the beholder IMO. I can love a painting, and someone else might hate it. Everyone appreciates things differently.

I've been trying really hard to be less "judgy" of what kind of music others enjoy... and to better appreciate all genres.

Reactions: jctisu

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's also just kind of weird when people feel the need to tell people they don't like something, it'd be like me going into the Kentucky Derby thread to just be like "horse racing is dumb!". That's great, Chief, nobody cares.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Bubble gum to me means over the top pop with melodies that are very catchy but really simple and repetitive. Remi Wolf and Katy Perry are two examples that I actually like that I would consider bubble gum. Their lyrical content is not bubble gum however. Just because mature women connect with that style doesn't question their maturity or feminity or whatever else you may have taken issue with. Again it's just music, lighten up. Or just 'Shake it off'?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: clonedude

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It's also just kind of weird when people feel the need to tell people they don't like something, it'd be like me going into the Kentucky Derby thread to just be like "horse racing is dumb!". That's great, Chief, nobody cares.

If you'd like, I can go into every pro sports thread and tell them what I think of their sportball team and how it's weak and simple compared to whatever nuanced and high minded thing I like. I'm sure the logical males of those threads would respond reasonably, see my point of view and agree with it, and not become defensive.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If you'd like, I can go into every pro sports thread and tell them what I think of their sportball team and how it's weak and simple compared to whatever nuanced and high minded thing I like. I'm sure the logical males of those threads would respond reasonably, see my point of view and agree with it, and not become defensive.
Oh believe me, women do.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am not a fan of most country music, but I don’t feel the need to got into the George Strait concert thread and rain on their parade. People are so pumped, that’s fabulous

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I’d punch someone stealing a baby too.

Men just hate things women like that involve successful women

I generally like your posts and engaging with you, @carvers4math, but asserting the only possible reason somebody might not like Taylor Swift's music is sexism is bold and... unsupportable.

I like Taylor and much of her music, but she *is* repetitive and *is* twee.

These fair critiques don't make me sexist, especially when I love plenty of other female artists...

Alanis Morissette
Carol Kaye (de facto bassist for the Beach Boys during their "peak" era)
Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie
Grace Potter
Heart/Ann Wilson and Nancy Wilson
Joni Mitchell
Karen Carpenter
Lana Del Rey
Lissie Maurus
No Doubt/Gwen Stefani
Phoebe Bridgers
etc.

It's not necessarily "bad", it's just very simple and just repeated over and over again.

This passage made me think of another important thing about Taylor --

She releases a ton of music by the standards of 2020s pop music.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, it was expected any major act would put out two albums per year (one in the middle of the year somewhere and one for the holiday buying season). Nowadays, many major acts will only put out an album every few years. Doing that back in the day was somewhat easier because more bands with multiple songwriters dominated the charts (with Lennon/McCartney as the ultimate example) compared to more solo acts now, but Taylor has never lacked for songwriting help from various partners and her producers.

Pumping out all that material probably doesn't help with the repetitive songwriting issue even if I do want to give her credit for turning stuff out. At the same time, they're selling as much Taylor as they can while her stock is at its apex. Pumping out as much as you can while she's selling like hotcakes right now only makes sense, though her albums would sound less repetitive if she had more time to write more diversity onto them.

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I think there should be fangirl threads for all the great entertainers so the bros can mansplain why Slipknot, Metallica or Billy Ray Truckhandler are so much better. It would be sooo CF and great entertainment.
I’m guessing I’m a sexist pig because I believe Cody Jinks makes better music than Taylor Swift.

Also, Taylor Swift’s music is 1 million times better than any garbage Slipknot ever released.

• Agree
Reactions: Turn2

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well needlepoint does take a lot of fine motor skills.;)

• Funny
Reactions: cowgirl836

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Is this album catching hold as much as her last one?

I’m sure it’s selling great, but I feel one I haven’t stumbled across & heard whatever the hit single of this one as quickly as I did “Anti Hero” of her last album.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I think there should be fangirl threads for all the great entertainers so the bros can mansplain why Slipknot, Metallica or Billy Ray Truckhandler are so much better. It would be sooo CF and great entertainment.
Goddammit, I just show up here to lurk and now my stuff is catching strays. There's just no winning.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron