Tailgating Hacks

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
GUEST_003cc3b4-28ed-4625-a746-a332b043b448

I think my wife would love never having to sit in a portapotty again.

Reactions: TXCyclones

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Recommendations in priority order:

4. Broom for sweeping the gravel from our spot on the "pavement."
3. Rake for taking care of leaves in the grass.
2. Orange cone for saving some space in front of our RV.
1. Tailgate fund bucket to encourage contributions!

One thing we've learned is to bring a broom to sweep water out of a depression near our vehicle and away from our general area, even if we think there won't be much water. We've even had others around us borrow the broom and tell us what a good idea it is. Paid in thanks, not drinks. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’ve always strong considered buying one of these. I don’t know about the functionality/practicality but that really is not the point.

OfficialQualifiedFinch-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: 2020cy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Perhaps the single best thing we ever did was recruit someone each week to stay at the tailgate during the game. They watch the game on our satellite TV and make sure no one messes with any of our stuff. It is awesome to be able to leave whenever we want for the game and have it ready for tailgating when we come back. Some of my worst tailgating experiences are rushing to pack up right before a game while people are still just showing up while I want to go into the stadium.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I’ve always strong considered buying one of these. I don’t know about the functionality/practicality but that really is not the point.

OfficialQualifiedFinch-size_restricted.gif

Can't comment on functionality but they are a lot of fun. We have one on our block and it gets brought out anytime we are doing a fire/playing poker/etc. They are suprisingly fast, everyone has wrecked it at least twice.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Perhaps the single best thing we ever did was recruit someone each week to stay at the tailgate during the game. They watch the game on our satellite TV and make sure no one messes with any of our stuff. It is awesome to be able to leave whenever we want for the game and have it ready for tailgating when we come back. Some of my worst tailgating experiences are rushing to pack up right before a game while people are still just showing up while I want to go into the stadium.
I volunteer to stay at your tailgate during the game and drink your beer and eat your food for you sometime

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
In the grass lots its impossible too many cops walking around. But if you had it on a bus on the cement lots I am sure you could get away with it.

I've been in G7 for 10 years, and I don't know that I have ever seen police walking thru there. Maybe once or twice?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Anyone know how strictly they enforce the “no kegs” policy ?

I dont know about kegs, but when we were in g7 2 years ago, we had a double beer bong with the hoses coming out of the tits on a mannequin torso.
I thought for sure we would lose that as no beer bongs is a rule, but multiple times the bike cops rode by, saw it, and smiled.
May have been a different story if it was in use on their way by or if we were in the student lot. They probably would have taken it then.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Something that we recently have fallen in love with is hooking up a nice speaker to listen to tunes with. The music usually isn't overbearingly loud, just enough for some awesome back ground noise. We also have a TV on a stand that we have ESPN on for the early 11 am games or other games on for the later games. It's been fun watching Gameday and listening to them talk about Iowa State and Matt Campbell.

Reactions: STATE12

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anyone know how strictly they enforce the “no kegs” policy ?

We had a keg (of root beer for ice cream floats) in a very visible place along the road (and you couldn't tell what it was), but never got bothered.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
As someone who has just gotten a parking pass what do I need to remember? Just looking to do something basic at least for now.