Sweet Fancy Moses, Hawk all time great Connor McCaffery: back for 2022-23!

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Who else complained about the ball?

And aren't different brands used throughout the season?
Not sure who else complained this year, but i have heard that complaint before. I even tried looking it up and found an LA times article about it from 2016. schools picked what ball was used. The ncaa only has loose guidelines on what schools have to use. Home team provides the balls which is another reason teams play better at home. Before road games teams will practice with the type of ball the opponents use.

Just seems weird to me.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Unless something's changed, Connor should be back and there's a good chance he'll start.. Here's a rough look at their starting lineup.

Connor
Perkins
Patrick
Kris
Rebraca
People might laugh at this, but if the Big 10 is still pillow soft next year, and someone takes that Fran patented monumental leap from decent player to NCAA 1st Team All American, Wooden Award Candidate, I bet it could be an NIT/NCAA with soft bubble squad.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure who else complained this year, but i have heard that complaint before. I even tried looking it up and found an LA times article about it from 2016. schools picked what ball was used. The ncaa only has loose guidelines on what schools have to use. Home team provides the balls which is another reason teams play better at home. Before road games teams will practice with the type of ball the opponents use.

Just seems weird to me.

Home team plays better at home because of the comfort level.

The complaint from the Hoks is just red meat for their fans to not accept that they weren't that good. It's the 'but cleats on grass!' and 'but the band!' of this year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
People might laugh at this, but if the Big 10 is still pillow soft next year, and someone takes that Fran patented monumental leap from decent player to NCAA 1st Team All American, Wooden Award Candidate, I bet it could be an NIT/NCAA with soft bubble squad.

Iowa has a foundation that allows them to be able to be pretty good and probably close to an NCAA tourney team every year at least. They were pretty good this year and last year. I'm not sure if anyone can defy that accurately.

There's just a reality that when it comes down to it, they're also limited and even with outstanding POY candidates, they're a house of cards.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Yeah, the league right now looks pretty weak for next year. Although, Michigan could be pretty good, Indiana as well. MSU will always be at least solid under Izzo but a lot of meh.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Iowa has a foundation that allows them to be able to be pretty good and probably close to an NCAA tourney team every year at least. They were pretty good this year and last year. I'm not sure if anyone can defy that accurately.

There's just a reality that when it comes down to it, they're also limited and even with outstanding POY candidates, they're a house of cards.

When you are playing a lot of guys that have been there a while, they do know the system. Even if the system isn't great, and the talent level isn't great, they can still execute. That's enough to beat bad teams most nights and once in a while catch a good night against a good team. Kind of high floor, low ceiling.

It's like the polar opposite of Kentucky. Loads of talent, very little experience, minimal chemistry, just going and doing what they do. Some nights they play like an NBA team, and other nights they lose to St Peter's.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Just seems weird to me.
Schools don't get to really pick though. It's all about the apparel contract. Nike schools use a Nike ball, UA schools use a UA ball, and Adidas schools use Wilson. Schools have all of these balls on hand and practice with them accordingly.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah, the league right now looks pretty weak for next year. Although, Michigan could be pretty good, Indiana as well. MSU will always be at least solid under Izzo but a lot of meh.
Agree on Michigan State. Their status as a blue blood seems to be teetering almost anymore.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Thank goodness for DMR archives:

Connor McCaffery got a hug from his mom, Margaret, and his dad, Fran, at home Saturday evening.

Not exactly big news, right? Well, this was a little different. Connor, 16, a sophomore at Iowa City West, got the hugs after he committed to play basketball for his dad's Iowa team.

"I've always thought about what it would be like to play for him," said Connor, a 6-foot-5 point guard who helped the Trojans win the Class 4-A state title in March. "I've always wanted to do it. I never really considered it any other way."

ESPN ranks Connor 24th nationally in his class. He said his dad offered him a scholarship some time ago. He made an unofficial visit Saturday, hung out with the team at the Iowa-Northern Iowa football game and then visited one-on-one with his dad Saturday evening.
He was a top 25 recruit? WTF?

Reactions: CycloneVet

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron