Surprising ISU article in NY Times

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You can get around the paywall if you download the article by hitting the download icon on the rop right if you're in Chrome.
As soon as you open the page just download it, then go to your downloads and open it. That should let you read the whole thing w/o the subscription pop-up bothering you.
I followed your, and my suggestions, and I think it worked. Anyway, I was able to read the article. Thx!
Nope, didn't work. I could see the 'download' for a few seconds, then it too went away. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. All I know is that I usually cannot get thru the firewall. Is it my VPN?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Nope, didn't work. I could see the 'download' for a few seconds, then it too went away. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. All I know is that I usually cannot get thru the firewall. Is it my VPN?
If you have an iPhone just open the link up in safari and hit the aA and then show reader. I’ve been able to read every single Athletic article for free for years.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If you have an iPhone just open the link up in safari and hit the aA and then show reader. I’ve been able to read every single Athletic article for free for years.
I don't have or view CF on an iPhone, just my laptop. Any other suggestions there?

Like I've said, I've heard many suggestions before, I just can't get them to work for me. Not the end of the world, for sure.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I don't have or view CF on an iPhone, just my laptop. Any other suggestions there?

Like I've said, I've heard many suggestions before, I just can't get them to work for me. Not the end of the world, for sure.
I right clicked and then selected "Print" and I was able to read it in my print preview. I also right click and hit "Read Aloud" and it will read the entire article to me.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I right clicked and then selected "Print" and I was able to read it in my print preview. I also right click and hit "Read Aloud" and it will read the entire article to me.
I liked this suggestion. This one worked for me! Thx! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Some interesting stats in the article for those who don't want to read it.
  1. None of the league’s 16 members generated more revenue from football ticket sales in fiscal 2023 than Iowa State ($16.19 million).
  2. No power conference school had more plays of 50-plus yards than Iowa State.
  3. The defense lost cornerback T.J. Tampa in the NFL Draft but brings back a unit that allowed just 12 rushing touchdowns (14th nationally), a 55.8 completion percentage (12th) and was tenacious in red zone scoring defense (73.1 percent, sixth).
  4. This one is depressing - Before Campbell’s arrival in 2016, Iowa State had only one winning Big 12 season — ever.
I like an article with good meat on its bones. I’m kinda sorry that CF hasn’t been having Rob go any deeper, he’s a good writer.

Much prefer a cohesive, well written article to a couple of guy rambling all over the place on a podcast.

Reactions: MeanDean

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
There's a 'reader mode' in every browser. It's designed to avoid printing the advertisements. If a website is built properly it's incredible. But, then again, most web designers don't take the time to properly develop a 'media' section for printing. Regardless, just google 'how to reader mode'. Once you know how, you'll use it every time you run into a subscription request.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
There's a 'reader mode' in every browser. It's designed to avoid printing the advertisements. If a website is built properly it's incredible. But, then again, most web designers don't take the time to properly develop a 'media' section for printing. Regardless, just google 'how to reader mode'. Once you know how, you'll use it every time you run into a subscription request.
I will do this! I saw your suggestion earlier, but didn't see a reader mode. Yet. I'll let you know when I find it and how to use it. Thx.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
While reading up on how to use the reader mode, I found that the Edge browser has this "read aloud"option. I like it!
Wow! I love learning new things and this one is really great. I will use it a lot! Thank you!

Reactions: Cloneon

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yep. And Scott Dochterman is their beat writer for Iowa. He does pieces on ISU from time to time when they need something about ISU that doesn't make sense for Max Olson (Big 12 beat writer) to cover. This being reporting from the Tailgate Tour, makes sense to send the guy who lives in Iowa City up to CR.

The Athletic kept giving me articles from this hack as "ISU" related, most were fluff pieces on Hawk football. Final straw was a very mocking rivalry article and I dropped them.