Surly, who will replace the old man in Manhattan?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Leavitt has the far superior resume to Venables, IMO. For one, he has a spectacular record of achievement as a head coach. Venables would be a risk, as we don't know how he would fare as a HC, and he has had the benefit of great talent as a DC both at OU and Clemson.
And then Leavitt's work as DC at Colorado, with average talent, just further enhances his status. Without him, we saw what Colorado was like in the bowl game. It was Leavitt who built the culture there.
No secret that while he was at South Florida, schools like Alabama and Miami offered him.
Leavitt has that issue of the alleged hitting of a player at halftime of a South Florida game, which got him fired, but there are tons of players who support him, and say he got a raw deal...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Jim is 60 now. That is a factor.

Venables is a K-State guy. Played and coach for Snyder before leaving with Mike Stoops and the fat man for OU in, gasp, 1998. Interesting video here ...

images
CVwRqwrWcAAuCOr.jpg

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I thought Snyder was going to make sure his son took over when he left? So the only question is will it be Thor or Loki.
Well, he's done everything possible to implement that thought, including outlasting an outstanding young A.D. who went to Tennessee, as well as slapping cancer around like a fresh linebacker. So, we'll see. One thing's for sure, nothing will happen until coach is ready for it.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Had John Currie stayed as A.D., I believe the choice would have been Brent Venables.

With the new guy, Gene Taylor, favored by coach Snyder (Currie was not) I suspect Sean Snyder will be given a very close look. I don't know Taylor at all. But coming from Fargo, I'm sure he has a grasp of what it takes to be a successful football coach. That's our only hope.

Following Bill Snyder will be like following John Paul the Great as pope or FDR as president. I just hope it's someone off Snyder's tree because winning in Manhattan is a whole different kind of affair than at other P5 schools with similar success.

That said, I can see Snyder coming back another year, 2018. This year's team is filled with juniors. He may want that final shot at a championship, if he's close but falls short this season.

Truman wasn't too bad. Helped ensure the war was over.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: surly and aauummm
L

LincolnWay187

You know someone posts a lot when there are specific threads to them. The fact that the person is a kstate fan is a true headscratcher.

• Creative
Reactions: surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
And to put a bow on this, I would not be surprised if coach quits before the season starts, thus setting the stage for Sean to be placed as the interim head coach. This would be somewhat like Stoops did for Lincoln Riley. Coach Snyder's cancer battle is far from concluded.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
And to put a bow on this, I would not be surprised if coach quits before the season starts, thus setting the stage for Sean to be placed as the interim head coach. This would be somewhat like Stoops did for Lincoln Riley. Coach Snyder's cancer battle is far from concluded.
Bo Ryan did the same for Greg Gard at UW

• Agree

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Well, he's done everything possible to implement that thought, including outlasting an outstanding young A.D. who went to Tennessee, as well as slapping cancer around like a fresh linebacker. So, we'll see. One thing's for sure, nothing will happen until coach is ready for it.

I felt like there was a new Sheriff in town when he had Snyder apologize and let Sutton out of his commitment. Seems like Taylor may be calling the shots more so than Currie did.

• Disagree

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Leavitt has the far superior resume to Venables, IMO. For one, he has a spectacular record of achievement as a head coach. Venables would be a risk, as we don't know how he would fare as a HC, and he has had the benefit of great talent as a DC both at OU and Clemson.
And then Leavitt's work as DC at Colorado, with average talent, just further enhances his status. Without him, we saw what Colorado was like in the bowl game. It was Leavitt who built the culture there.
No secret that while he was at South Florida, schools like Alabama and Miami offered him.
Leavitt has that issue of the alleged hitting of a player at halftime of a South Florida game, which got him fired, but there are tons of players who support him, and say he got a raw deal...
Leavitt is a bleepin nutjob and it is not just due to the USF hitting incident. Would be great for ISU if Kitty hires Leavitt but I agree with others here that Snyder will pull a Bo Ryan and time his retirement to enable Sean as his replacement. And that would also be good for ISU.

• Disagree

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I am not surly but I will throw in my 2 cents worth. General Myers and Gene Taylor will choose the next football coach, not Bill Snyder. They will consider Bill's thoughts but will make their own decision. That choice will be based on culture, fit, and personal integrity so it may well be Sean Snyder.

• Agree

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
There's also a line of thinking here that coach would not put Sean in the seat without complete confidence that he'd handle the job. So, who do you trust, Bill Snyder's judgement or a rookie A.D.?......

I hope the old man thinks his son is ready and that his god-like status carries enough weight to make it happen.

• Funny