Sugar Bowl

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
So, still a lot of football to play... but for fun, here is a scenario:

ISU wins out.

OU wins out AND, ND, Mich, and Georgia all lose. OU is in the top 4 of the CFP going into the B12 championship game.

Two potential outcomes:

1) ISU wins B12 title game, goes to Sugar Bowl.

2) OU wins B12 title game, is ranked in the final top 4, and goes to playoff. Does ISU still go to the Sugar Bowl as the B12 runner-up? Or does the Sugar Bowl have the option to take any B12 team (for example, could they take a 10-2 WVU over a 8-4 ISU)? I know they have to take a B12 team, just not sure what the rules are if the B12 champ is in the playoff.

Last edited:

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
OU isn’t top 4 if we win conference title game.

Understand.... there are two potential outcomes if we go to the B12 Championship game vs. a top 4 OU:

1) We win and go to the Sugar Bowl (since B12 champ goes to Sugar Bowl automatically).

2) OU wins, and goes to the playoff (there are some scenarios they wouldn't but, let's assume they stay in top 4 with win). Do we still go to the Sugar Bowl?

So, question is, in this scenario (ISU playing top 4 OU in B12 Championship game) do we go to the Sugar Bowl regardless of whether or not we win vs. OU?

Last edited:

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
TCU didnt get a ny6 invite as a big 12 representative when OU made the playoffs

That's because the Sugar Bowl was a playoff game. When the Sugar Bowl is a playoff game there is no other NY6 that must take a B12 team. So, this year is different than last year. Sugar Bowl must take an SEC and B12 team even if Champ is not available.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's because the Sugar Bowl was a playoff game. When the Sugar Bowl is a playoff game it there is no other NY6 that needs to take a B12 team. So, this year is different than last year. Sugar Bowl must take an SEC and B12 team even if Champ is not available.

This is correct.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
That's because the Sugar Bowl was a playoff game. When the Sugar Bowl is a playoff game it there is no other NY6 that needs to take a B12 team. So, this year is different than last year. Sugar Bowl must take an SEC and B12 team even if Champ is not available.

I gotcha now, I dont think thats the case, I think all P5 conference are guaranteed one ny6/playoff spot regardless of year and that is it..

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Understand.... there are two potential outcomes if we go to the B12 Championship game vs. a top 4 OU:

1) We win and go to the Sugar Bowl (since B12 champ goes to Sugar Bowl automatically).

2) OU wins, and goes to the playoff (there are some scenarios they wouldn't but, let's assume they stay in top 4 with win). Do we still go to the Sugar Bowl?

So, question is, in this scenario (ISU playing top 4 OU in B12 Championship game) do we go to the Sugar Bowl regardless of whether or not we win vs. OU?

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210294398

In the event the Big 12 champion is selected for a CFP semifinal, the second-place finisher would be the Sugar Bowl representative. If there is a tie for second place, the Big 12 tiebreaker procedure would be used to break the tie to determine the Sugar Bowl representative (if the champion is selected to a CFP semifinal).

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
CFP is, and will continue to, doing everything possible to make sure at least 1 b1g team gets in. Sooners could win out and I still doubt they get in.

• Winner
Reactions: CySmurf

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I gotcha now, I dont think thats the case, I think all P5 conference are guaranteed one ny6/playoff spot regardless of year and that is it..

NY6 and the playoffs are completely separated from each other. The years when the Sugar Bowl doesn't host the playoffs, it is tied to the Big 12. If OU wins the conference championship and makes it into the top 4, the second place team is in the Sugar Bowl.

Reactions: IAC1858

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
So, if WVU was ranked ahead of us, the Sugar Bowl would take them? That's unfortunate... I guess we want them to lose two more times... then we might have a shot...

I edited my post. The SEC uses the CFP ranking to determine its representative. The Big 12 appears to be different but the article I linked is from 2015 before the Big 12 had a championship game. I can't figure out if it's changed.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So, if WVU was ranked ahead of us, the Sugar Bowl would take them? That's unfortunate... I guess we want them to lose two more times... then we might have a shot...

No, I don't believe that is the case. The Sugar Bowl is the only Big 12 affiliated Bowl that can't hand pick who they want to invite, it goes purely off of conference standings.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
No, I don't believe that is the case. The Sugar Bowl is the only Big 12 affiliated Bowl that can't hand pick who they want to invite, it goes purely off of conference standings.

It's sort of weird. The conferences decide the procedure used to fill these contract bowls. The SEC sends the team ranked highest in the CFP poll that isn't in the playoffs. The Big 12 sends the 2nd place team which I'm assuming is the team that loses the Big 12 Championship Game.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy