Student Ticket Prices & Cyclone Alley

ksimp14

Nov 8, 2010
Ames, Iowa
You are paying $16K to get an education, not attend sporting events. And $125 is less than 1% of 16K.

All I'm saying is that I could use that money for books, but not a big deal! $30 for CA tho? It just seems to me like its one more unnecessary fee on top of another...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I agree but I would put "FREE" in quotations. I think if they upped the fees to spread out the cost among all of the students (I am a grad student so I would also be bearing this cost) the AD could get as much money (or possibly more) and also have increased attendance.

I could see some problems with this though:

1. On really big Football and Basketball games students would probably have to be turned away once the sections are filled up. You could possibly do overflow for football games onto the hillside.

2. Less motivation to go to less exciting match-ups without actually having purchased the tickets, but this is pretty much happening anyway...

Good luck. Increasing tuition to cover things people actually might use would be anti-Iowa State policy.

$40 is all it takes for the AD to break even on ticket sales, which is less than .1% of a tuition increase but it'll never happen. Instead we can raise it 7% next year (when the HEPI says 2-4% inflation) for less accountability and more stupidity.

Reactions: isudizzle13

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
Why would I pay $155 for student tickets/CA when I could pay $99 for a reserved season ticket that includes games over the breaks (that aren't included in student tickets)?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why would I pay $155 for student tickets/CA when I could pay $99 for a reserved season ticket that includes games over the breaks (that aren't included in student tickets)?

because $99 will put you up in the upper ends\corners whereas student ticket+CA will put you in parquet\arena circle where it costs $500+2500 donation to sit?

I would, however, give student ticket purchasers the right to walk-up free tickets on the day or week of winter-break games. That would let them come to those games but yet not leave a ton of prime seats empty.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Ya i don't get why they don't include break games, it would count for attendance, and its not like they sell out the seats the students normally use.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
At UNI we show our student ID and get in every sporting event for Free.

Depends what you regard as free. Probably factored into student fees where everyone is paying for the athletic program - which is what many on here are advocating.

It lowers the cost for everyone and provides and incentive for all to go to games.

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
Just get the $99 tickets and join cyclone alley for the crap they give out. Save $ plus you get break games for free!

That is exactly what I did. And I even went back to Cyclone Alley after the first few games and said I never picked up my t-shirt. And got an extra one for my girlfriend who doesn't go here. And we both have everything that CA has handed out over the season. $99 seats FTW.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
At UNI we show our student ID and get in every sporting event for Free.

Student Services Fee:
The student services fee provides funding for designated student activities and services. Northern Iowa Student Government administers a portion of this fee to support a variety of student organizations. The Panther Pass is supported from this fee and provides free admission for students to most UNI athletic, music and theater events and reduced ticket prices to events at the Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center. Intercollegiate Athletics receives a portion of this fee to support general operating costs of the athletic program as well as athletic scholarships.

Full-time (12+ hours) Student Services Fee = $106.50 per semester.

Not FREE. I'd guess ~$30 of that goes to the Athletic Department per semester.

http://www.uni.edu/tuition/explanation-mandatory-fees
http://www.uni.edu/tuition/2010-2011-tuition-and-mandatory-fees-semester

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2009
Ames
because $99 will put you up in the upper ends\corners whereas student ticket+CA will put you in parquet\arena circle where it costs $500+2500 donation to sit?

I would, however, give student ticket purchasers the right to walk-up free tickets on the day or week of winter-break games. That would let them come to those games but yet not leave a ton of prime seats empty.

Personally I prefer the upper end seats that are about on the baseline, as opposed to CA seats behind the basket. I'm willing to sacrifice proximitiy to having a better angle towards the floor.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The $30 bucks you pay for Cyclone Alley goes to a lot of worthless garbage like props and stuff. T-shirts are fine but I don't give a crap about suspenders and foam noodles. How bout we come to games to watch the game, not to get some stupid junk.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The $30 bucks you pay for Cyclone Alley goes to a lot of worthless garbage like props and stuff. T-shirts are fine but I don't give a crap about suspenders and foam noodles. How bout we come to games to watch the game, not to get some stupid junk.

You don't pay $30 for CA. You pay $12 for CA.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You don't pay $30 for CA. You pay $12 for CA.

If you have to pay $30 to get into CA, you pay $30 for CA, regardless of if they throw in the 'perk' of SAA membership (or say its for both memberships..if you only wanted one, thats the cost of the one to you). Especially since CA is a part of the alumni association and not the athletic department.